Pres. Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Started by AMightyPirate, Oct 09, 2009, 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMightyCaporal

Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Penny Lane

that's great!! if there's one thing that's been a success, it's been his diplomatic efforts, especially w/Iran...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

el_chode

I'm not trying to pick fights here, but...really? I mean it hasn't been a full year yet. We're still duking it out in Afghanistan. Was the selection pool between him, Bono, and Brangelina?

I don't think Iran is really as important perhaps as the missile defense reversal, but still. I just don't get it.

EDIT: I'm not saying that it's WRONG, I just don't see WHY, so if anyone can enlighten me, please do, because I can't really think of any one else that has done anything either. Sort of bleak world view I guess...
I'm surrounded by assholes

Angry Ewok

Quotethat's great!! if there's one thing that's been a success, it's been his diplomatic efforts[...]

Hahahahahaha
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

jones

The Nobel nomination deadline was 12 days after he entered office.  Wow.  Congrats. ::)

Soulshine

There were a record number of nominees
Because we're all in this together...

pawpaw

I don't think that he's deserved this honor, hasn't proven himself (yet). More than anything, I think it shows the global appeal of Obama. The World loves this guy.

I voted for him. He's worked hard so far and basically done what he said he would. I'm waiting to see results before I pass judgement on him as a President and global ambassador of peace though. Too soon for the NPP...maybe we should finish this business in Afghanistan first.  ::)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

bear sin rug

You have to exhibit a lot of "peace" to be the first black president of our nation. I don't know about you guys, but I am white and have never experienced systematic discrimination and oppression, and I have literally never put my life on the line to live out a dream; that has to come from a place of peace.

Kudos to Obama  :)
It's a bad idea

Penny Lane

QuoteI'm not trying to pick fights here, but...really? I mean it hasn't been a full year yet. We're still duking it out in Afghanistan. Was the selection pool between him, Bono, and Brangelina?

I don't think Iran is really as important perhaps as the missile defense reversal, but still. I just don't get it.

EDIT: I'm not saying that it's WRONG, I just don't see WHY, so if anyone can enlighten me, please do, because I can't really think of any one else that has done anything either. Sort of bleak world view I guess...

well i think his efforts w/Iran will influence our dealings w/russia/china...the missile defense reversal was important, too (i guess remains to be seen if it was the right decision) as for him not deserving it, other presidents have received it or been nominated for less. i'm sure there were a ton of other people who deserved it more, but i think he's done a lot to reverse all the DAMAGE of the last 8 years. the US's international relations have rippling effects on the world, so that's why i think the last few months have been crucial. he also stood up to Israel (whether you agree w/it or not), this also had effects on our ties to the Arab world. I don't know if any of it has made a difference, but he's done what I think he should have...

brad----stop laughing at me!  ;)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

pawpaw

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for him! Maybe it's just his presence as our leader that offers the greatest promise of peace to the rest of the world. I can understand that effect. BUT, without having seen the list of other nominees, and probably not knowing most of who they are, I'd still have to say that there must be people who were nominated that have spent their lives working and struggling for peace. I just think that there must have been someone more deserving, more proven.

aMillionDreams

He is the commander-in-chief of an army that is fighting and losing two wars right now.  Nobel Peace Prize?  I don't get it either.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

el_chode

QuoteI'm not trying to pick fights here, but...really? I mean it hasn't been a full year yet. We're still duking it out in Afghanistan. Was the selection pool between him, Bono, and Brangelina?

well i think his efforts w/Iran will influence our dealings w/russia/china...the missile defense reversal was important, too (i guess remains to be seen if it was the right decision) as for him not deserving it, other presidents have received it or been nominated for less. i'm sure there were a ton of other people who deserved it more, but i think he's done a lot to reverse all the DAMAGE of the last 8 years. the US's international relations have rippling effects on the world, so that's why i think the last few months have been crucial. he also stood up to Israel (whether you agree w/it or not), this also had effects on our ties to the Arab world. I don't know if any of it has made a difference, but he's done what I think he should have...

brad----stop laughing at me!  ;)

I agree, but I'd at least like to see it then given to him after we see some results, not lofty dreams. The Iran issue, or really, the Middle East is such a deep-seeded issue that it really would be worthy of the NPP if someone was able to quell a lot of those tensions. That much has yet to be seen since Iran is already threatening to destroy Israel...again

I'd just hate to see the prize reduced to the respect that we give the Grammys and Oscars: may the best campaign win, regardless of the quality of its product.

pawpaw

QuoteI'd just hate to see the prize reduced to the respect that we give the Grammys and Oscars: may the best campaign win, regardless of the quality of its product.

Word.

ALady

From an article entitled "Common misconceptions about the Nobel Peace Prize" (from the AP earlier today):

Myth: The prize is awarded to recognize efforts for peace, human rights and democracy only after they have proven successful.

More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

AMightyCaporal

QuoteFrom an article entitled "Common misconceptions about the Nobel Peace Prize" (from the AP earlier today):

Myth: The prize is awarded to recognize efforts for peace, human rights and democracy only after they have proven successful.

More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments.

List of prize winners since 1980... only recognize some of the names

Wonder how many were in similar situations as Pres. Obama

_ 2009: U.S. President Barack Obama
_ 2008: Martti Ahtisaari
_ 2007: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Al Gore
_ 2006: Muhammad Yunus, Grameen Bank
_ 2005: International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei
_ 2004: Wangari Maathai
_ 2003: Shirin Ebadi
_ 2002: Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter
_ 2001: United Nations, Kofi Annan
_ 2000: Kim Dae-jung
_ 1999: Medecins Sans Frontieres
_ 1998: John Hume, David Trimble
_ 1997: International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Jody Williams
_ 1996: Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo, Jose Ramos-Horta
_ 1995: Joseph Rotblat, Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs
_ 1994: Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin
_ 1993: Nelson Mandela, F.W. de Klerk
_ 1992: Rigoberta Menchu Tum
_ 1991: Aung San Suu Kyi
_ 1990: Mikhail Gorbachev
_ 1989: The 14th Dalai Lama
_ 1988: U.N. Peacekeeping Forces
_ 1987: Oscar Arias Sanchez
_ 1986: Elie Wiesel
_ 1985: International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War
_ 1984: Desmond Tutu
_ 1983: Lech Walesa
_ 1982: Alva Myrdal, Alfonso Garcia Robles
_ 1981: Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees
_ 1980: Adolfo Perez Esquivel
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

bear sin rug

It's a bad idea

The DARK

As of right now, this just deserves a  :-?.
In another time, in another place, in another face

el_chode

ALady

There is not an eyeroll big enough.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

el_chode

QuoteThere is not an eyeroll big enough.

Come on, you had to have known someone would have done this eventually. Rush is calling this a bigger failure than the loss of the Olympics