Greatest living comedians...in their prime.

Started by Paulie_Walnuts, Dec 17, 2009, 11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie_Walnuts

I'm sure everyone can make a list of great comedians that have sadly passed on. Or even ones that are still living but are comedic equivalents of Elton John or The Rolling Stones i.e. unintentional parodies of their former glory.

But this thread isn't about that. This thread is about comedians who are in their prime, who are right at the top of their game. I realise there will be a certain US / UK divide here, but if it's a comedian you feel warrants a mention let us all know about him / her and tell us why you like them.

Last night I went to see Stewart Lee, a comedian who started his comedy career over 20 years ago. I remember him then as a left leaning University graduate (as I was), and I remember that he was pretty funny but nothing that prompted me to go and see him live. Anyway, in a recent drive to get out more and experience some different culture other than music I booked up to see him (based on his recent TV series and good reviews of his latest live show). This guy had everything last night. I didn't stop laughing for 90 mins (which is obviously the main aim of a comedian!), but more than that he displayed complete control of his chosen art. His routine was so clever, so witty, so accurate, so much more than a man telling jokes. It's safe to say that he's the sort of comedian who gets his point of view across through humour.....but the humour he used is like no other I have seen. His style was so incredibly patient. There were nuances to his comedy that were beyond subtle. There was a brief period where he tried to analyse why the audience found one thing more funny than another (and he couldn't understand why), but then again I felt that he understood everything the whole time. The crowd were his toy and he was in total command.

Anyway, although I am trying I can't possibly do him justice. If you get any chance to see him do it. Especially if, like me, you despise anything to do with the TV programme Top Gear. He spends 20 minutes character assasinating them in the funniest way imaginable. And there was barely a swear word in the whole routine.

Not that I have any problem with swearing at all, as it brings me on to the other name I'd add to my list......Jerry Sadowitz. Again, this was someone I'd waited 20+ years to see....but at least I finally made it. Equally clever, but with more vitriol, foul language and abuse directed at anyone and anything. Jerry Sadowitz is a man who hates himself almost as much as the world. No taboo is sacred here. Paedophilia, rape, racism, sexism, blasphemy.....you name it you've got it! But add in the fact he's one of the best close hand magicians in the world and you have one hell of a show. And there's stuff about his craving for custard cream biscuits and Christine Bleakley if the hardcore stuff gets too much.

But harcore is the theme with Jerry. Expect magic tricks with his dick hanging out of his trousers. Expect people to walk out of the show. But expect to laugh out loud.

Stewart Lee and Jerry Sadowitz. Two of the best. In their prime.

Any other suggestions?
Paulie W

.Walt

Glad you had a great time at the show!

I really like Dave Chappelle, but is he past his prime? I wouldn't think so. It seems like ages ago when Chappelle was a household name.

I like Doug Benson. I think he's in his prime, or least he can't get any higher.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

dragonboy

I was going to see Stewart Lee last night - what an amazing coincidence!

I was trying to get a ticket for Comedy On The Hill where Stephen Merchant was playing (for 6 pounds!) but it was sold out. I considered Stewart Lee but ended up @ The Den (only because it was recomended by Time Out) & who should turn up unannounced? Alan Carr!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

aMillionDreams

The two funniest people alive right now are Patton Oswalt and Louie CK.  Both are geniuses at their prime.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

pawpaw

I'm not sure if he's still in his prime, but Chris Rock is an absolute stand-up master. I saw him about 6 years ago, and just like you PW, laughed for a solid 90 minutes straight. My face and stomach muscles were sore after his set! And while he is most certainly foul mouthed, he's a very intelligent guy and always keeps his material topical.

I'm also a huge Chappelle fan...never saw him live, but love the recorded stand-up of his I've seen and heard, and his show is phenomenal.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Angry Ewok

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Soulshine

QuoteI'm not sure if he's still in his prime, but Chris Rock is an absolute stand-up master. I saw him about 6 years ago, and just like you PW, laughed for a solid 90 minutes straight. My face and stomach muscles were sore after his set! And while he is most certainly foul mouthed, he's a very intelligent guy and always keeps his material topical.

I'm also a huge Chappelle fan...never saw him live, but love the recorded stand-up of his I've seen and heard, and his show is phenomenal.

I saw Chappelle several years ago and I laughed incredibly hard from  the time he walked out on stage until he left. Chris Rock kills me...I literally watched that last HBO special 5 or 6 times. Louis CK is brilliant. Lewis Black was pretty amazing live. I can watch Zack Galifinakis with no expression on his face and I would laugh.
Because we're all in this together...

Jaimoe

David Cross is still hilarious, although he's more of a satirist.

Right now, Russell Peters's star has shot to the top.

ALady

I'll echo Soulshine's Zach Galifianakis comment, and add Eddie Izzard to the mix.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

AMightyCaporal

QuoteGlad you had a great time at the show!

I really like Dave Chappelle, but is he past his prime? I wouldn't think so. It seems like ages ago when Chappelle was a household name.

I like Doug Benson. I think he's in his prime, or least he can't get any higher.

I'll agree with Chappell, the dude is a genius, his show was the funniest thing I have ever seen.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

mjkoehler

Chapelle, Louis CK

Because I was a huge fan of Bob & Tom for 10 years, I got to hear a lot of great comedians. Drew Hastings kills me. Mike Birbiglia kills me. Doug Stanhope is great at times (and HIGHLY offensive).

Murph

QuoteThe two funniest people alive right now are Patton Oswalt and Louie CK.  Both are geniuses at their prime.

yep

Murph

I'll add Mitch Hedburg.....he was an amazing comedian with a style all his own who died of a drug overdose, way before his prime.

capt. scotty

Im still waiting for Chappelle's Show Season 3....Im probably gonna be waiting for awhile.

Doug Stanhope really surprised me when I saw one of his specials. I thought he was terrible on the Man Show, but his standup was hilarious.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons