this article is awesome...

Started by PhriendlyMMJPhan, Apr 26, 2010, 08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecogeek/1357/who-knew-whale-poo-is-fertilizing-the-oceans.html

QuoteAustralian scientists have discovered that whale poo is not only helping ocean plant life to flourish, but also increasing the ocean's ability to absorb CO2.

Because whales' diets are made up largely of iron-rich krill (small crustaceans), their droppings are a great fertilizer for marine plants, helping them to grow like weeds (or algae).  These plants then do their part by absorbing CO2 as they grow, a process that scientists have tried to amp up (unsuccessfully) in Antarctic waters with iron fertilization.

Researchers say one-third of the world's oceans are low in iron.  On the other hand, whale excrement contains a very high concentration of the mineral -- about 10 million times the concentration in Antarctic seawater.  But how will scientists use this information?  That's not clear yet, but it's a great reminder of how intricately well-tuned nature can be.

the circle of life in action.  

TheBigChicken

should see what the chicken crap is doing to my maters 8-)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

dcdub

Quoteshould see what the chicken crap is doing to my maters 8-)
Oh would you stop bragging about you garden already? Where's the jealous smiley?
That's a great find dude.
Q:How often do you get to see the word "poo" in scientific reports?
A:Not often enough
Shooting in the dark as to what's best

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

muahaha!! those little chicken scratchers.  I've got the hook on whale poo if you need it.  It's rare but quality.  I hear it's high in iron.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Oh would you stop bragging about you garden already? Where's the jealous smiley?
That's a great find dude.
Q:How often do you get to see the word "poo" in scientific reports?
A:Not often enough

poo is a pretty sweet word indeed.  glad science got the chance to use it, that is a very good point.  

AMightyCaporal

Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

dcdub

Shooting in the dark as to what's best