Best/Favorite War Movie

Started by capt._headdy, Jan 15, 2009, 01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

QuoteOkay, my off-the-cuff top ten 15 list of war movies (and miniseries), in no particular order...

Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
MASH
Galipoli
Bridge Over the River Kwai
Tora Tora Tora
Pearl Harbor (just kidding!)
Tropic Thunder (not kidding)
That one with Lee Marvin and the Japanese soldier stranded on an island together, I forget the name
Black Hawk Down
Three Kings
Deer Hunter - probably my favorite
Inglorious Basterds
Born of the Fourth of July

To add to this, off the top of my head:

All Quiet on the Western Front (original with Lew Ayers)
Paths of Glory
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Longest Day
Das Boot
Dr Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
The Great Escape
Pan's Labyrinth
The Sand Pebbles
Grave of the Fireflies*
Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War*

* I made the mistake of watching these two great films (Grave is animated from Japan and Tae Guk Gi is a modern war film from Korea, regarding the Korean War) back-to-back, and I cried like a fucking baby, and I mean tears down my face. They are great films, especially the true retelling of Grave of the Fireflies.

mjkoehler

The Longest Day
Dr Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
The Great Escape
The Sand Pebbles

all in my list of all time fav movies for various reasons. Dr Stranglove especially. There's a whole lotta goodness going on in that one.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteI thought there was a thread for this, so since you brought it up Yac, whats your favorite War movies?

Id also add Inglourious Basterds to my list. Not sure how high, but Christoph Waltz and a few great scenes in that one would put it up there.

I think Waltz performance was one beyond superb.  He sold it, 4 languages.  I hated that fucking Jew Hunter.

All the good one's have already been mentioned for the most part.  Do War documentaries count?  If so:

(in no particular order)
-Little Dieter Needs To Fly
-Apocalypse Now
-Full Metal Jacket
-Saving Private Ryan
-Band Of Brothers (Series since it's SPR the extended addition I count it as a movie).
-Platoon
-Rescue Dawn (even though it's Dieters story dramatized I think herzog did a great job again, but he's one of my favorite directors ever so I'm biased, I love almost everything the man puts out).
-Inglorious Basterds
-Three Kings
-Schindler's list
-Hotel Rwanda

I'm ashamed I've never watched Deer Hunter.  Downloading now...

capt. scotty

I thought Rescue Dawn was decent, but I didnt like it all that much. Not sure if its because it felt slow to me or what.

I actually have Schindler's List and The Pianist both on my DVR, although I think those are more movies set during WWII than war movies so to speak.

Ive never seen Schindler's, The Pianist, or Dr Strangelove  :-[
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

I forgot about Schindler's List for some reason. Same with Stalag 17. Both are awesome, even if I can't watch Schindler's ever again.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteI thought Rescue Dawn was decent, but I didnt like it all that much. Not sure if its because it felt slow to me or what.

I actually have Schindler's List and The Pianist both on my DVR, although I think those are more movies set during WWII than war movies so to speak.

Have you seen Little Dieter Needs To Fly?  It's literally the same story as Dieter explained he experienced in that film.  At the very least I walked away with the knowledge of how to pick handcuffs.  It's probably not going to be for everybody since there isn't a lot of action but just the awareness and rawness of how often they shit themselves and the "food" they had to eat, whatever it was, was insightful.  Could Werner have gotten somebody better than Batman? Maybe, but I thought Bale was good.  not the top of my list by any means, figured it was mentionable.  I liked it better than thin red line or that one with owen wilson and gene hackman, I forget the name...

I'm a sucker for movies based on true stories when they're accurate to what actually happened.

capt. scotty

QuoteI thought Rescue Dawn was decent, but I didnt like it all that much. Not sure if its because it felt slow to me or what.

Have you seen Little Dieter Needs To Fly?  It's literally the same story as Dieter explained he experienced in that film.  At the very least I walked away with the knowledge of how to pick handcuffs.  It's probably not going to be for everybody since there isn't a lot of action but just the awareness and rawness of how often they shit themselves and the "food" they had to eat, whatever it was, was insightful.  Could Werner have gotten somebody better than Batman? Maybe, but I thought Bale was good.  not the top of my list by any means, figured it was mentionable.  I liked it better than thin red line or that one with owen wilson and gene hackman, I forget the name...

I'm a sucker for movies based on true stories when they're accurate to what actually happened.

Slowness doesnt typically bother me, and maybe it wasnt even that, but Rescue Dawn didnt really impress me. By no means do I think it was bad, but I dont think it was much better than movies like Windtalkers or We Were Soldiers. I dont think it was near as good as Thin Red Line, but it def is a lot better than Beyond Enemy Lines (I think thats what that Hackman/Wilson movie was called)

In this case, Id probably prefer the documentary. Before I even went down your list, when I saw that title, I figured it was on Bale's character in Rescue Dawn
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

Sticky, are you okay?

I went over your post a dozen times.  I see no profanity (actually, "shit" once), no references to your penis or balls.  Are you sure everything is okay?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

capt. scotty

Sticky, are you okay?

I went over your post a dozen times.  I see no profanity (actually, "shit" once), no references to your penis or balls.  Are you sure everything is okay?

;D

For Bluntmaster's apparent proficiency in movieography, Im surprised he doesnt post in the Movie Thread

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

oh I don't swear and say penis that much.. tis a chill evening.  plus War is serious wtf?

ManNamedTruth

QuoteOkay, my off-the-cuff top ten 15 list of war movies (and miniseries), in no particular order...

Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
MASH
Galipoli
Tora Tora Tora
That one with Lee Marvin and the Japanese soldier stranded on an island together, I forget the name
Black Hawk Down
Three Kings
Inglorious Basterds

Paths of Glory
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Longest Day
Das Boot
Dr Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
The Great Escape
Pan's Labyrinth
The Sand Pebbles
Grave of the Fireflies*

* I made the mistake of watching these two great films (Grave is animated from Japan and Tae Guk Gi is a modern war film from Korea, regarding the Korean War) back-to-back, and I cried like a fucking baby, and I mean tears down my face. They are great films, especially the true retelling of Grave of the Fireflies.

I'd hardly consider Pan's Labyrinth as a war movie. That would be like calling Monty Python And The Holy Grail a period piece, or Fight Club an action movie.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
MASH
Galipoli
Tora Tora Tora
Black Hawk Down
Three Kings
Inglorious Basterds

Paths of Glory
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Longest Day
Das Boot
Dr Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
The Great Escape
Pan's Labyrinth
The Sand Pebbles
Grave of the Fireflies*

I'd hardly consider Pan's Labyrinth as a war movie. That would be like calling Monty Python And The Holy Grail a period piece, or Fight Club an action movie.

General Franco and the Spanish Civil War is the backdrop for Pan's and the US firebombing Japan underscores Grave of the Fireflies. Not conventional war films, but war is at the core of their plots. Inglorious Basterds is a revisionist fantasy and is a lot of fun. I don't mind looking outside the conventional box from time to time - I do the same with westerns and romantic comedies. Life is Beautiful is on the fence for me too.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

this thread is full of war movie snobs.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

alright so what the fuck guys I finally finished watching and digesting "The Deer Hunter" and all I've got to say is, BOR-ING.

The cast was awesome, I'll give you that.  There were definitely some crazy moments but 3 hours to tell that story?  What a joke.  That Wedding sequence felt like it was an hour long.  I hate weddings, I don't want to watch a fake one.  Deniro was creepy and bad ass at the same time but Walken, holy shit.  What a bad ass.  His performance was the only thing that made me want to keep watching.  Meryl Streep can suck it.  She looks old as fuck even when she was young, nasty.  Why does it gotta be all lovey dovey 90210 secret dramafest for so much of it?  

I got the whole thing about people loosing it when they go to war and whatever but come on, 3hours?  That theme song..

to be honest it wasn't that bad I just want to start a war movie fight.

Soulshine

Platoon
Apocalypse Now
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

I thought The Hurt Locker was great too

Because we're all in this together...

Jaimoe

Quotealright so what the fuck guys I finally finished watching and digesting "The Deer Hunter" and all I've got to say is, BOR-ING.

The cast was awesome, I'll give you that.  There were definitely some crazy moments but 3 hours to tell that story?  What a joke.  That Wedding sequence felt like it was an hour long.  I hate weddings, I don't want to watch a fake one.  Deniro was creepy and bad ass at the same time but Walken, holy shit.  What a bad ass.  His performance was the only thing that made me want to keep watching.  Meryl Streep can suck it.  She looks old as fuck even when she was young, nasty.  Why does it gotta be all lovey dovey 90210 secret dramafest for so much of it?  

I got the whole thing about people loosing it when they go to war and whatever but come on, 3hours?  That theme song..

I agree; that first hour featuring the wedding is torture. However, the war scenes are riveting. I think John Savage is the best thing about the Deer Hunter. He gives the movie a soul.

Soulshine

Quotealright so what the fuck guys I finally finished watching and digesting "The Deer Hunter" and all I've got to say is, BOR-ING.

The cast was awesome, I'll give you that.  There were definitely some crazy moments but 3 hours to tell that story?  What a joke.  That Wedding sequence felt like it was an hour long.  I hate weddings, I don't want to watch a fake one.  Deniro was creepy and bad ass at the same time [highlight]but Walken, holy shit.  What a bad ass.  His performance was the only thing that made me want to keep watching[/highlight].  Meryl Streep can suck it.  She looks old as fuck even when she was young, nasty.  Why does it gotta be all lovey dovey 90210 secret dramafest for so much of it?  

Do you got a fevah?

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

The cast was awesome, I'll give you that.  There were definitely some crazy moments but 3 hours to tell that story?  What a joke.  That Wedding sequence felt like it was an hour long.  I hate weddings, I don't want to watch a fake one.  Deniro was creepy and bad ass at the same time [highlight]but Walken, holy shit.  What a bad ass.  His performance was the only thing that made me want to keep watching[/highlight].  Meryl Streep can suck it.  She looks old as fuck even when she was young, nasty.  Why does it gotta be all lovey dovey 90210 secret dramafest for so much of it?  

Do you got a fevah?

Soulshine

Do you got a fevah?

I love you!! How do I walk with this in all areas of my life?!

Jbones72

Steve McQueen is one of my favorite actors. I love him the Great Escape & Papillon but he probably should have won an Oscar for The Sand Pebbles..Richard Crenna was great too.
I loved Band Of Brothers..but the current mini series The Pacific really hit home for me. Most of my WW2 vets in my immediate family served in the Navy & Marines.
Not sure if anyone mentioned Downfall, some non-movie fans probably only know about it from the youtube videos but it's a great movie.