Best/Favorite War Movie

Started by capt._headdy, Jan 15, 2009, 01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

Quoteyou seen it DB?
No  :D
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

Top 3 Genres listed on IMDb: Drama | Romance | Western  ;)

Not to worry, I was only winding you up, hence the wink.

Dances With Wolves is set during the civil war & features the blues and grays but is without any shadow of a doubt a western IMO.

Like I said, not to worry. I listed First Blood, which arguably isn't really a war movie...am I going to give a f**k if someone says "hey DB, I don't think that's a war movie!"? No
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

IMDb is a great reference site, but I never use it as a reliable source for reviews. At the same time, Rotten Tomatoes is near flawless for reviews since it's a culmination of critiques across North America and I'm rarely disappointed with All Movie Guide.

capt. scotty

Dances With Wolves is set during the civil war & features the blues and grays but is without any shadow of a doubt a western IMO.

Is it really a western??

Id call it more of a historical drama (which now that I think about it, maybe Ride With The Devil would more suitably be categorized as that).

In this sense, there both fictionalized stories from whatever era and arent based on actual occurrences or history
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

dragonboy

QuoteIMDb is a great reference site, but I never use it as a reliable source for reviews. At the same time, Rotten Tomatoes is near flawless for reviews since it's a culmination of critiques across North America and I'm rarely disappointed with All Movie Guide.
I like to use them all. I mostly cross-reference IMBD & Rotten Tomatoes for the fans/critics reviews. The problem with IMDB is there are too many people trying to give their fav movies high scores + the message boards are hilarious!
My problem with RT is they only have the 2 grades, rotten or fresh. If you actually read the reviews sometimes it's not that clear cut. Good reviews sometimes get rotten grades.
Yahoo movies is sometimes better because they give the same reviews A+, A-, B+ etc etc
Do you know how do they give the stars out over @ allmovie? Isn't it just one persons opinion? The stars on allmusic drive me mad sometimes...

dragonboy

Is it really a western??

Id call it more of a historical drama (which now that I think about it, maybe Ride With The Devil would more suitably be categorized as that).

In this sense, there both fictionalized stories from whatever era and arent based on actual occurrences or history
Dances With Wolves is definitely a western IMO. But you can go ahead & call it a historical drama if you want to...I think we can still be friends  ;)

capt. scotty

Yeah, probably is...I just kind of need cowboys or bankrobbers to call something a western

Im oldschool like that

....so I guess The Postman is a western too, right??
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

QuoteIMDb is a great reference site, but I never use it as a reliable source for reviews. At the same time, Rotten Tomatoes is near flawless for reviews since it's a culmination of critiques across North America and I'm rarely disappointed with All Movie Guide.
I like to use them all. I mostly cross-reference IMBD & Rotten Tomatoes for the fans/critics reviews. The problem with IMDB is there are too many people trying to give their fav movies high scores + the message boards are hilarious!
My problem with RT is they only have the 2 grades, rotten or fresh. If you actually read the reviews sometimes it's not that clear cut. Good reviews sometimes get rotten grades.
Yahoo movies is sometimes better because they give the same reviews A+, A-, B+ etc etc
Do you know how do they give the stars out over @ allmovie? Isn't it just one persons opinion? The stars on allmusic drive me mad sometimes...

All Music Guide, just like All Movie Guide, use their stable of critics for their reviews. For the most part, AMG employs fairly reliable and knowledgeable critics and they've become influential in a relatively short period of time.

Jaimoe

QuoteYeah, probably is...I just kind of need cowboys or bankrobbers to call something a western

Im oldschool like that

I hear ya, but there's also the modern western genre, which includes films like The Proposition, Bad Day at Black Rock, No Country For Old Men, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, There Will Be Blood, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia and many more.

dragonboy

QuoteYeah, probably is...I just kind of need cowboys or bankrobbers to call something a western

Im oldschool like that

Haha I haven't seen The Postman. I only like Kevin Costner in good movies, the reviews have scared me away from that one.

Seriously though, it's an interesting point that you make. What if a movie has cowboys & native americans but no bankrobbers...something like A Man Called Horse, you wouldn't consider that a Western?

Jaimoe

Im oldschool like that

Haha I haven't seen The Postman. I only like Kevin Costner in good movies, the reviews have scared me away from that one.

Seriously though, it's an interesting point that you make. What if a movie has cowboys & native americans but no bankrobbers...something like A Man Called Horse, you wouldn't consider that a Western?

It's a western. There's a few interesting sub-genres of westerns. However, a film like Gone With The Wind rarely gets mentioned as a western, well, I've never once heard it referred to as a western in my 40 years of film watching.

A film like Dead Man is a psychological western if there ever was one.

dragonboy

I'm off to the gym - good chatting with you boys!

Maybe you need to start a 'Best/Fav Western Movie' thread Capt?

Jaimoe

QuoteI'm off to the gym - good chatting with you boys!

Maybe you need to start a 'Best/Fav Western Movie' thread Capt?

CC Baxter and I have chatted in the past regarding westerns. We should do it again and perhaps debate the superiority of the original 3:10 to Yuma over the Russell Crowe remake.

The great thing about Kurosawa was that his samurai films were partially inspired by western directors he admired like Hawks and Ford.

capt. scotty

Im oldschool like that

A Man Called Horse is definitely a western

According to my grandad, its the greatest cinematic piece of utopia ever made  ;D ;D ;D ;D

He's been pissed bc he hasnt be able to find his 25 year old semi-snowy VHS copy of it he recorded on some TV station with commercials for the last year or 2  ;D

I even called him up last week one night to specifically tell him Return of a Man Called Horse was on the Encore Western channel...he replies "yeah, i know, i watched a little bit of it. that shit dont have shit on the original though, no movie does"

ahh, grandad

ManNamedTruth

I use IMDB but I should start using another site as well. The message boards there are hilarious, pretty much ever movie I like there's always some asshole bitching about how bad it is. I do like IMDB mostly to resource what my favorite directors and actors have done.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Isobella

Modern - Saving Private Ryan
Premodern - Zulu

dragonboy

Watched the first 2 episodes of Band Of Brothers last night - absolutely brilliant!!! Really, really superb television!

I forgot that Simon Pegg is in it  ;D

dragonboy

Has anyone mentioned The Last of the Mohicans? (1992)

Is that a Western or a War movie? Either way, it's a great film.

Jaimoe

QuoteWatched the first 2 episodes of Band Of Brothers last night - absolutely brilliant!!! Really, really superb television!

I forgot that Simon Pegg is in it  ;D

And it only gets better. I've given Donnie Wahlberg creative career decision free passes because of his role in this series.

capt. scotty

I listed Last of the Mohicans as a pre-WW1 option in the OP, but I think thats it.

Awesome movie. My favorite native american involving flick (def better than Dances with Dogs)

I was just thinking about that western thing...Its def a war movie since its about the French & Indian War, but it has some western flavor