Best/Favorite War Movie

Started by capt._headdy, Jan 15, 2009, 01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawpaw

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I'll put an emphasis on Black Hawk Down. Also, there was a little war brewin' between the Empire and the Rebels in Return of the Jedi. That's my favorite war movie.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

capt. scotty

QuoteSteve McQueen is one of my favorite actors. I love him the Great Escape & Papillon but he probably should have won an Oscar for The Sand Pebbles..Richard Crenna was great too.
I loved Band Of Brothers..but the current mini series The Pacific really hit home for me. Most of my WW2 vets in my immediate family served in the Navy & Marines.
Not sure if anyone mentioned Downfall, some non-movie fans probably only know about it from the youtube videos but it's a great movie.

I think youre the first person Ive seen say they like Pacific more than BOB. I have em all DVR'd and will probably watch them soon, and I havent seen BOB yet, so it seems like win-win no matter what

Ironic you mention Downfall because last week Youtube removed all the Hitler parody videos on there for some sort of moral reason
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

QuoteMost of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I'll put an emphasis on Black Hawk Down. Also, there was a little war brewin' between the Empire and the Rebels in Return of the Jedi. That's my favorite war movie.

Yeah, I dont think theres been a better war movie since Black Hawk Down came out in like 2000 or 2001. Most have been disappointing
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jbones72

QuoteSteve McQueen is one of my favorite actors. I love him the Great Escape & Papillon but he probably should have won an Oscar for The Sand Pebbles..Richard Crenna was great too.
I loved Band Of Brothers..but the current mini series The Pacific really hit home for me. Most of my WW2 vets in my immediate family served in the Navy & Marines.
Not sure if anyone mentioned Downfall, some non-movie fans probably only know about it from the youtube videos but it's a great movie.

I think youre the first person Ive seen say they like Pacific more than BOB. I have em all DVR'd and will probably watch them soon, and I havent seen BOB yet, so it seems like win-win no matter what

Ironic you mention Downfall because last week Youtube removed all the Hitler parody videos on there for some sort of moral reason

Yeah it really is a win win, The Pacific just hit home more for me b/c of my relatives. I especially liked the focus they put on the Battle Of Peleliu. I'd bet that most people haven't heard of it. I think the film company made them take the Downfall vids down,they were pretty funny.

Jbones72

QuoteI guess not technically a war movie and more a military drama but man did I love the Caine Mutiny.  I just really enjoyed Herman Wouk's writing also.

Awesome film. Same with Mister Roberts.

Will have to check out Mister Roberts

Jimmy Cagney w/ the "Plam Tree" is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time.

johnnYYac

Yeah it really is a win win, The Pacific just hit home more for me b/c of my relatives. I especially liked the focus they put on the Battle Of Peleliu. I'd bet that most people haven't heard of it. I think the film company made them take the Downfall vids down,they were pretty funny.

I must say, The Pacific has gotten better and better each week.  I think I was quick to judge it less than Band of Brothers because I didn't have the emotional investment in The Pacific that I have in BoB.  Now, I would say they're very close to me in terms of quality historical drama, similar in good ways, different in great ways.  

The Iwo Jima episode was devestating.  I now care about these characters (not that I should be calling them characters; they're (based on) real people).

Has anyone read the books (The Pacific, Helmet for My Pillow, I'm Staying with My Boys, Hero of the Pacific)?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.