The Wire - did we ever have a thread for it here?

Started by Paulie_Walnuts, Feb 23, 2010, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie_Walnuts

I don't seem to recall there ever being a thread for the greatest TV series ever on here.

Am I mistaken?

I just read a book on The Wire and it brought back so many memories of how good that show was.

I miss it badly!
Paulie W

mjkoehler

I do not think we did, but it was HEAVILY discussed in the TV Thread.

Seasons 1-3 AMAZING
Season 4 Strong
Season 5 Stiill not sure about

dragonboy

I think Mike's right. I don't remember a thread but it did get talked about a lot in the TV Thread.

Anyone read Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homicide-Killing-Streets-David-Simon/dp/1847673120/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266934543&sr=1-1

I've got it, just haven't read it yet (it's a big book!)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Crispy

I am still of the opinion that The Wire was the best show ever aired on a television, and have given up watching TV ever since.

I want to read that book!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Paulie_Walnuts

The Homicide book is in my Amazon basket as we speak!

Crispy - I don't know if you are referring to that book but the one I just read is great too. It's called 'The Wire Re-Up'. It's basically episode by episode analysis from journalists and Wire fan's on The Guardian's Wire blog. It's a great read, brought back so many great memories.

http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Re-Up-Guardian-Guide-Greatest/dp/0852652216/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266936748&sr=1-1

My all-time favourite scene from the show (contains spoilers if you haven't seen it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHuCn34NMl8
Paulie W

Paulie_Walnuts

Paulie W

ManNamedTruth

Great series, glad I bought the DVDs. I still think Sopranos is better though. There's a few series that I'd put up higher actually.  
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

capt. scotty

I think 5 is the weakest season, but its still very good. The last 3-4 episodes of that season are brilliant, and the series finale is the most satisfying Ive ever come across.

Best show evah!!!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Ironically, I just read this 5 minutes ago...Id be drunk before the first episode I watched finished, but it cracks me up anyway...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules of the game:

Make sure you have plenty of bottled beer and Jameson whisky (or spirit of choice if you can't manage the whisky).
'Drink' denotes two fingers of beer (excluding rules 1a and 1b which are self explanatory), otherwise shots and downing all drinks (remainder of current beer + Jameson chaser) are specified.

Rule 1a: When Jimmy or Bunk drinks, you drink.
1b: What Jimmy or Bunk drinks, you drink.

Rule 2: Drink in the event that any of the following occur -

-Jimmy and Bunk leer at women in a bar (shot in addition to 1a&b)

-The train goes past (shot)

-Jimmy asks "What the #### did I do?" (drinks downed)

-Freamon explains a procedure to a colleague/us

-Freamon peers over his glasses

-Freamon works on one of his miniature furnishings

-Any character utters the sentence written at the beginning of the episode.

-Burrell or Rawls demand a case be brought in (shot)

-Burrell, Rawls, Jay or Daniels reprimand a subordinate

-Avon, Stringer, D'Angelo or Bodie reprimand a subordinate

-Daniels stares someone down with his goggly eyes

-Police brutality (shot)

-Jimmy, Stringer or Carcetti slip into English/Irish accents (shot)

-Jimmy angrily makes his case to somebody who has pissed him off

-Jimmy gives a #### when "it ain't his turn to give a ####"

-Herc ####s up, however minor

-Kima smiles wryly and nods or shakes her head

-Maury Levy negotiates a scandalously lenient term for a client, to the dismay of all others in the room (shot)

-Maury Levy squirms with smug satisfaction

-A young child utters the phrase "Omar's coming!"

-Omar smokes

-Omar says "indeed" (shot)

-Omar fires shots in anger (shot)

-Omar whistles

-Omar swears (all drinks downed)

-A bounty gets put on Omar's head.

-Avon squints when thinking or faced with a problem or insubordination

-Avon touches his chin

-Any gang leader orders a killing on screen (shot)

-D'Angelo furrows his brow in a troubled, conflicted manner

-D'Angelo imparts worldly advice to his peers

-D'Angelo wears a top that ISN'T a roll-neck sweater

-Bodie spits

-A gratuitous metaphor for street life is used (shot)

-A character repeats some advice he or she has been given to another character

-Poot or Wallace say something stupid or naive

-A scene in Orlando's starts with a not strictly necessary establishing shot of a naked stripper (in much the same way the Sopranos would do with the Bada-Bing). (Shot).

-Any visible drug deal

-A visible re-up - finish and re-up your beer

-Bubs gets high on screen

-Bubs' white mate demonstrates crushing stupidity or uses street slang in an embarrassing way

-Someone gets beaten up or hit (shot)

-A bottle breaks

-Someone is shot, you take a shot

-A cop fires a weapon all drinks are downed

-When Clay Davis says "Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit" all shots must be finished before he gets to the end of the word.

-Proposition Joe comes out with a brilliant homemade street proverb. (Shot. If the proverb involves dogs drink two shots).

-Bubbles refers to McNulty as "McNutty".

-Anyone mentions "Fuzzy Dunlop".

-Any reference to "the game". Shot for Omar.

-Prezbo is called "Prezbo" by someone.

-Prop Joe is seen fixing an appliance. Shot if this is combined with peering over his glasses.

-Major Colvin is referred to as "Bunny"

-Daniels smirks during or immediately following a meeting with the Commissioner or Deputy Ops.

-Jay Landsman is eating or drinking while talking to a colleague.

-Snoop says something indecipherable.

-Snoop makes a weird barking sound (shot)

-Marlo completes a sentence without moving his lips once (shot)

-Bubs sells one of dem tees (down all drinks)

-Marlo gets his hands dirty in some way, however small (shot)

-The Stanfield crew commit an entirely uneccesary killing (shot in addition to the standard murder shot)

- Any incidence of classroom violence, or violence within the vicinity of the school

- A teacher breaks the trust of a student, or vice versa (shot)

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mjkoehler

Dude, seriously you would fucking die tryingt o drink that much.

Janet

Got season one for Christmas but haven't had time to watch more than three episodes.  

Murph

Best. Show. Ever. (if we're excluding the Simpsons because i mean, cmon its the Simpsons).

Characters like Snoop are what made that show so amazing.  She was an actual thug from Baltimore (she was arrested for murder at like 15 or something) who they found and put on the show and she ends up becoming the most memorable character.  Brilliant show

capt. scotty

QuoteBest. Show. Ever. (if we're excluding the Simpsons because i mean, cmon its the Simpsons).

Characters like Snoop are what made that show so amazing.  She was an actual thug from Baltimore (she was arrested for murder at like 15 or something) who they found and put on the show and she ends up becoming the most memorable character.  Brilliant show

I wouldnt disagree, but we could have an entensive conversation/debate about this. Her buying the nail gun is one of the best scenes of the show, period.

If we're just saying somewhat minor characters like Snoop, Id probably go with Brother Mouzone or Wee-Bey as most memorable for me

mjkoehler

QuoteHer buying the nail gun is one of the best scenes of the show, period.
such an amazingly simple yet perfect scene.

MarkW

Shhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttt.

Always enjoyed Clay Davis' appearances.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteShhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttt.

Always enjoyed Clay Davis' appearances.

they milked clay davis' "Shheeiiiitt!!!" line like no other and it was genius.  Such a hilarious line.  It added a level of pompous asshole to Clay.  Avon Barksdale (totally spelled that wrong) was probably my favorite character of the show.  All I know after watching all 5 seasons is that I'm West Side til I fuckin die, no joke.  them east coast mother fuckers some punk ass bitches if I've ever seen them.  Omar was a great character, legendary even.  

capt. scotty

The Wire is now being taught as a class at multiple universities.

http://slate.com/id/2245788/

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

The Wire - Auditions

Cool short watch on the audtion process...I could never see Carver as Stringer Bell!!

wolof7

Oh man pumped for this thread!

Just finished season 3 this past week! The final 2 episodes were stunning, some of the best t.v. I've ever seen.

Excited about starting season 4 today! Heard it's the best.

Where's Wallace String, String where's Wallace, Where's Wallace, String Where's Wallace!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee