World Cup 2010!

Started by talleshortz, May 18, 2010, 09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkW

Having watched Germany yesterday, whoever finishes second in group C is in for a tough game...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Taxman

This was ok 2 years ago at euro 2008, just hope we'll play as well as those first 2 games then...

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/146271/cf5a4c8d/nederland_frankrijk_met_jack_.html
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver

Ruckus

QuoteHaving watched Germany yesterday, whoever finishes second in group C is in for a tough game...

Agreed though I wouldn't put it past Ghana to surprise and win the group.  So impressed by the youngsters, particularly the Turkish guy who I won't try to spell and Muller.  Klose missed so many other opportunities.  He could have had a hat trick at the half.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

QuoteThis was ok 2 years ago at euro 2008, just hope we'll play as well as those first 2 then...

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/146271/cf5a4c8d/nederland_frankrijk_met_jack_.html

The taxman returns!  Denmark'll make ya look ugly but the Dutch deserved the win.  De Jong's challenges were ridiculous.

Ruckus

[size=14][ch26085][ch26412]! [ch26085][ch26412]! [ch26085][ch26412]![/size]

ynwa

so far, the only match i've been able to see start to finish was the england vs USA on saturday.

my thoughts have pretty much been covered by you guys on that one.  the "butterfingers" jokes have been flying left, right & center.  i had to blink a few times to believe it actually happened.  i'll take it though!  and it's a good thing rob green is english and not columbian.  that's all i'm gonna say on that  :-X  both teams should make it out of the group stage.  algeria was shocking & slovenia, well, i really think they got lucky there.  still, there's a bit more pressure on the US & england but both really should win their remaining matches.  especially if the other teams play like they did yesterday.

it's tough to tell for sure just from highlights, but it seemed that a lot of the matches were pretty lacklustre.  wish i'd been able to watch the germany one yesterday though.  i haven't had a good lok @ them yet & i've been hearing a lot of hype since yesterday.

hope everyone is enjoying the matches so far!

"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Taxman

QuoteThis was ok 2 years ago at euro 2008, just hope we'll play as well as those first 2 then...

The taxman returns!  Denmark'll make ya look ugly but the Dutch deserved the win.  De Jong's challenges were ridiculous.

Wasn't a great match, but 6 more of those with the same result is better than 3 top games and going home with nothing.
De Jong should've been sent off, imho.
Elia did well though.

Also, I have to say that Germany could play so well, because Australia put on a pretty weak effort.
Well, maybe I just don't like the thought of Germany playing well... ;)
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver

iLikeBeer

QuoteAlso, I have to say that Germany could play so well, because Australia put on a pretty weak effort.
Well, maybe I just don't like the thought of Germany playing well... ;)

I too am not ready to buy the hype everyone is pouring over Germany.  Australia is one of the weaker sides in the tournament IMO.  The US beat the Aussies 3-1 in their last friendly before the Cup and if it wasn't for Findley's inablity to finsih, it should have been 6-1!

Add to that the the Aussies had to not only play a man down, but the man sent off was arguably their best player in Timmy Cahill for one of the weakest red cards I have ever seen!

That said, I'm still hoping the US can somehow find a way to win their group so they don't have to square off against the Germans in the round of 16...

Ruckus

Don't count out Ghana.  They are young but amazingly fast and skilled.

iLikeBeer

QuoteDon't count out Ghana.  They are young but amazingly fast and skilled.

I was thinking the same thing.  Wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Ghana come out on top of this group.

BTW, did anyone watch the Brazil/North Korea match today?  They showed the N. Korean fans in the stands and the announcers made mention of the fact that N.Korea actually went to China and payed professional actors to go and play the role of N.Korean fans.  Un-freaking-believable eh???  So glad they got beat, although I was hoping Brazil would put a bigger hurting on those commies than the 2-1 result they settled on.

Jaimoe

I was cheering for the North Koreans. I've had my fill of the tens of thousands of Brazilians in Toronto and the North Korean players, their families and the rest of the populace face an uncertain future,  imprisoned and facing starvation at the hands of a mad dictator.

MarkW

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Spain start their tournament today.

In other news, we English have developed our own version of the vuvuzela:

It's going to give us the competitive edge on Friday.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Paulie_Walnuts

That's what I'd like to see done to everybody who blows one of those fucking annoying trumpets!

So far this has to be the most boring World Cup in living memory. All teams are now super fit, and they are all so well organised that they are just cancelling each other out.

I also agree about not getting too carried away with the Germans just yet. Australia are pretty poor. After all, as someone said, the USA beat them 3 -1 so they can't be very good at all......

:P :P :P
Paulie W

pawpaw

I've caught a few matches, usually bits of halves before work and at lunch. Saw Brazil's first goal yesterday, which was amazing.

I'm rooting for the Dutch now.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

jones

QuoteI've caught a few matches, usually bits of halves before work and at lunch. Saw Brazil's first goal yesterday, which was amazing.

Oh my.

Jaimoe

It felt wrong cheering for the Swiss, but I'm glad they won.

Penny Lane

QuoteI've caught a few matches, usually bits of halves before work and at lunch. Saw Brazil's first goal yesterday, which was amazing.

Oh my.

that's a lot of blonde.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

jones

I prefer brunettes, but...

iLikeBeer

QuoteSpain used to be the biggest choke artists but I don't think they are anymore. They have such technically gifted players, and players playing at the top of their game. They deserve to be favourites. And you're right, don't rule out Brazil or Argentina. My doubt with Argentina is that they have Maradona in charge. It would be hard to find a worse candidate for a football manager than that!

Switzerland - 1
Spain - 0

If Spain have removed the tag of biggest choke artists at the World Cup, they sure aren't doing a very good job of showing it...  :P

Taxman

On a slightly different note; does anybody else wonder how the name 'Schweinsteiger' came into being?
Because I think it means as much as 'Pigfucker'.  :o

Anyway; the Swiss, imo, did not deserve to win...
-Macgyver