World Cup 2010!

Started by talleshortz, May 18, 2010, 09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkW

I thought Argentina looked fantastic at some points today.  There won't be many teams that cope with Messi, Tevez and the rest running at them for 90 minutes.

Greece/Nigeria has been a strange game.  Feeling pretty sorry for the Nigerians.

Finally, you can now enjoy the world cup atmosphere live on the interweb whilst browsing your favourite sites:

http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Jaimoe

I live in Toronto's massive Greektown (over 20 blocks of shops, businesses and restaurants). I'm almost afraid to run some errands right now.

MarkW

QuoteI live in Toronto's massive Greektown (over 20 blocks of shops, businesses and restaurants). I'm almost afraid to run some errands right now.

Probably a good time to pick up some freebies  ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Paulie_Walnuts

QuoteSpain used to be the biggest choke artists but I don't think they are anymore. They have such technically gifted players, and players playing at the top of their game. They deserve to be favourites. And you're right, don't rule out Brazil or Argentina. My doubt with Argentina is that they have Maradona in charge. It would be hard to find a worse candidate for a football manager than that!

Switzerland - 1
Spain - 0

If Spain have removed the tag of biggest choke artists at the World Cup, they sure aren't doing a very good job of showing it...  :P

There's a long way to go yet. Let's see what happens. As we speak the Germans are having a blip.....
Paulie W

iLikeBeer

QuoteSpain used to be the biggest choke artists but I don't think they are anymore. They have such technically gifted players, and players playing at the top of their game. They deserve to be favourites. And you're right, don't rule out Brazil or Argentina. My doubt with Argentina is that they have Maradona in charge. It would be hard to find a worse candidate for a football manager than that!

Switzerland - 1
Spain - 0

If Spain have removed the tag of biggest choke artists at the World Cup, they sure aren't doing a very good job of showing it...  :P

There's a long way to go yet. Let's see what happens. As we speak the Germans are having a blip.....

I also said I wasn't going to trump the Germans horn either even though they looked like world beaters against lowly Australia.  I just thought it would be Ghana that proved my point, not Serbia.  

And I would say the loss to Serbia is more than a blip for the Germans.  The Germans are almost now in a must win situation if they want to advance out of this group and that won't be easy vs. Ghana.  Of course, I'm assuming Ghana takes care of business vs. Australia...   :D

Ruckus

Yeah, this group with Germany, Serbia and Ghana is the true group of death.  I know Serbia was a lot of prognosticators' dark horse pick but they didn't show it against Ghana.  This morning, I think they did better, but I'm not sure of the outcome without the HORRENDOUS referee.  He controlled the game.  If ever, the integrity of a match should be questioned, this was it.  How many times have you seen a striker get sent off on two (bullshit) yellows in the 1st half alone?!  Germany is just lucky that Serbia didn't score more goals than they did because they had many chances in the second half and it could have meant a lot for the tiebreak scenarios.

If Ghana beats Australia, we'll be looking at a crazy third match day for this group.

Spain will be fine I believe.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ynwa

holy smokes my nerves are SHOT!  i really thought the USA were going out after that awful 1st half performance (actually, that 1st goal by slovenia was pretty sweet).  heck of a fight to get back 2 goals & that 3rd one should have counted.  there was no foul whatsoever!!!  actually, there could have been a penalty for 2 challenges on USA players on that play.  what a bunch of BULLSHIT.
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Jon T.

My nerves are shot, too.  Total horseshit call.  Our guys have bounced back well.  First, after that quick goal from England then second half today.  Still feel pretty good about our chances of advancing (assuming we beat Algeria).

Oh, I've been pleasantly surprised with Michael Bradley!  He's had a pretty good Cup, so far.

DiscoStu65

trying to be a patriot here, but i'm really having a hard time getting behind a sport where there isn't a decisive winner, especially in the sports biggest event.  and scoreless ties?  really?  should those teams be awarded gold foil stars for participation like kindergartners?  

don't get me wrong, you've got to be an incredible athlete to play soccer but this whole playing an entire game and it being able to end in a tie is beyond this meathead's comprehension.  
My music will go on forever. Maybe it's a fool say that, but when me know facts me can say facts.

Jon T.

Quotetrying to be a patriot here, but i'm really having a hard time getting behind a sport where there isn't a decisive winner, especially in the sports biggest event.  and scoreless ties?  really?  should those teams be awarded gold foil stars for participation like kindergartners?  

don't get me wrong, you've got to be an incredible athlete to play soccer but this whole playing an entire game and it being able to end in a tie is beyond this meathead's comprehension.  

it's just a point system.

After this first round I'll make some calls and see if they'll change it up for you.   :)  (there won't be any more ties after this initial Group Stage)

DiscoStu65

Quotetrying to be a patriot here, but i'm really having a hard time getting behind a sport where there isn't a decisive winner, especially in the sports biggest event.  and scoreless ties?  really?  should those teams be awarded gold foil stars for participation like kindergartners?  

it's just a point system.

After this first round I'll make some calls and see if they'll change it up for you.   :)  (there won't be any more ties after this initial Group Stage)

ha ha, I admitantly don't know much about soccer at all.  i played the "other" football for 11 yrs.  
My music will go on forever. Maybe it's a fool say that, but when me know facts me can say facts.

ynwa

you are not alone in feeling this way.  it's natural to want a difinitive "winner" every time.  especially if that's what you're used to.  you go through that whole rollercoaster of emotions & are left feeling cheated.  

i grew up playing so i'm used to it but admittedly, sometimes it's very annoying.  or maybe the better word is dissatifying???  but then there's the whole points system (not gold stars) so it does make sense in the end.  there's a total of 3 points available for each of the teams to "earn".  you get all 3 with a win, 1 a piece with a tie (you split the points since neither bested the other) & 0 with a loss.  it's just the rules of the game.

just playing devil's advocate here: why, in say... basketball, is 1 basket worth 1, 2 or 3 points?  why not just 1 point for each basket?  why, in football, is a touchdown worth 6 points?  why not just 1?  it's the rules of each sport.    

the good news for you is that once the group stage is done, there will be a difinitive winner for every game.  hang in there!!!

Jon T.

ynwa

Awesome picture.  Took some balls for donovan to take it (how often do u beat a keeper near post) and I'm psyched to see someone try it on.  You'll never win if you don't score and you can't score if you don't take a chance.

Paulie_Walnuts

That was a beautifully executed goal from Donovan. There was nothing else on, he weighed up the situation and struck it exactly where he wanted to. Brilliant goal, one of the best of the tournament so far.

As for England.....OH FUCKING DEAR! I refer you to my comments at the start of this thread!
Paulie W

Ruckus

Couple of things on my mind:

First of all, I'm fed up with the coverage of the supposed foul on the free kick.  Before the kick was even lined up, I was yelling to my friends that I'd be upset if the US scored on this play to win the game when Altidore completely dove to earn the spot.  I think the ref did it justice, whether intentionally or not, by calling the phantom foul.  Originally, I was wondering whether the ref was going to book Altidore for diving on the play.  Karma points.  Just my opinion but my conscience is now clear.  Win and in baby! :)

Secondly, Donovan's goal was solid.  That keeper's a flincher! ;D  Bradley's was as well.  BUT, I can't stand American broadcasters not calling the game properly and further misinforming the casual American soccer fan.  On the first goal, at no point did the analysts mention what a TERRIBLE challenge it was by the Slovenian #5 to attempt a slide tackle and miss my many feet, allowing Donovan to break free with nothing but space and the keeper.  It was a HUGE mistake!  Just as notable was the lack of emphasis on the perfectly executed head on by Altidore to set up Bradley.  It wasn't the most difficult play but it was still very well done. :)

iLikeBeer

First of all, I thought that you couldn't get much worse officiating than what I saw in the Serbia v. Germany match.  Well, that didn't take long to change my stance on that as the referee in the US match was one of the worst I've ever seen?!  

First of all, what the hell was the yellow card on Findley for???  (not that I'm complaining as I have felt starting Findley has been a mistake and now we won't have to worry about it as he is lost for the next match  8-) )  And that should have been this ref's crowning moment for worst call in the match but he did himself one better by disallowing what would have been the winning goal for the US.  And then that douche doesn't even have the balls to expain himself??  At least FIFA's board of officiating is going to review this referee's performance and they may not let him officiate another match in the tournament.  He doesn't deserve to officiate another match after his downright attrocious officiating in that match.

Oh well.  as ynwa said, that was one hell of a fight back by the Americans!  I almost wish they hadn't had a disallowed goal though because knowing the US SHOULD have won that match makes the draw tougher to swallow!  But a point is better than none and seeing that England result makes it win and you're in for the US against Algeria and I like our chances!

And as disappointing as England have looked, they are in the same boat as the Americans!  Win over Slovenia and they're in!

Ruckus

Well, you know I agree with you on the Germany/Serbia ref.  Ruud Gerrit and Roberto Martinez agreed just now that Dempsey should have been straight red carded inside the first couple minutes for that flying elbow.  I mean, we got lucky too.  I think it's fair to say that the referee was awful but I don't think we can say that we deserved the win.

Honestly, none of you guys were bothered by Altidore's playacting?

FiddleCastro

England's game last night was... frustrating....  :-/

I also agree with Ruckus on the "phantom foul" I honestly just finished telling my friend the same thing when he was complaining about the call.

Cameroon/Denmark was an interesting game today.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

MarkW