Main Menu

Our pets

Started by ycartrob, Feb 25, 2006, 02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

He likes to sit upright.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Paulie_Walnuts

This is Cheech. He just pitched up in our garden a few months ago looking hungry and dirty and wearing an old collar. We really didn't want a pet and we tried ignoring him. Our neighbour told us that he had been sleeping in her garden for quite a long time. He hadn't been looking after his coat because of being homeless and his fur was grey and greasy.

We took him to the vet to see if he was micro-chipped because we didn't want to adopt him if he was someone else's cat. Anyway, he wasn't and the vet reckoned he was about 7 or 8 years old and in good health. We took him in and he was really hungry. He ate anything we put in front of him! We shampooed him and the towel turned black with dirt, so it took a few goes to smarten him up. Once he'd settled in we took him back to the vet for a check-up and it turns out the vet threw us a curve ball - he's got a severely over active thyroid (his thyroid blood count was on 180 and it should be 15!) As a result of that he's also got thickening of the heart walls. He's now on daily medication for the thyroid (we've got it down to 90 at the moment), and liquid medicine for the heart condition (which he hates). So far he's cost us about £500 in vet's fees and £50 a month in medicine. The other option is to have the troublesome thyroid gland removed.

My wife is always wondering where he came from. I reckon it was either an old person who died, or someone who couldn't afford the vet bills and kicked him out. Either way, he's doing pretty good now. He's got a great nature, loves attention, but never sits on your lap (great!) I don't have a picture to back it up yet, but when he falls into a deep sleep he rolls on his back with his legs splayed open! And he does it out in the open too. I found him in the back garden on the concrete doing it the other day!

Paulie W

Soulshine

QuoteThis is Cheech. He just pitched up in our garden a few months ago looking hungry and dirty and wearing an old collar. We really didn't want a pet and we tried ignoring him. Our neighbour told us that he had been sleeping in her garden for quite a long time. He hadn't been looking after his coat because of being homeless and his fur was grey and greasy.

We took him to the vet to see if he was micro-chipped because we didn't want to adopt him if he was someone else's cat. Anyway, he wasn't and the vet reckoned he was about 7 or 8 years old and in good health. We took him in and he was really hungry. He ate anything we put in front of him! We shampooed him and the towel turned black with dirt, so it took a few goes to smarten him up. Once he'd settled in we took him back to the vet for a check-up and it turns out the vet threw us a curve ball - he's got a severely over active thyroid (his thyroid blood count was on 180 and it should be 15!) As a result of that he's also got thickening of the heart walls. He's now on daily medication for the thyroid (we've got it down to 90 at the moment), and liquid medicine for the heart condition (which he hates). So far he's cost us about £500 in vet's fees and £50 a month in medicine. The other option is to have the troublesome thyroid gland removed.

My wife is always wondering where he came from. I reckon it was either an old person who died, or someone who couldn't afford the vet bills and kicked him out. Either way, he's doing pretty good now. He's got a great nature, loves attention, but never sits on your lap (great!) I don't have a picture to back it up yet, but when he falls into a deep sleep he rolls on his back with his legs splayed open! And he does it out in the open too. I found him in the back garden on the concrete doing it the other day!

Kudos to you Paulie on the rescue. You have done a good thing.  :)

That's a pretty kitteh....I love the 1st pic, it truly captures the essence of cat...kind of a "get that f*cking thing out of my face thankyouverymuch." Love it.

Because we're all in this together...

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

wtf paulie you stole my f'ing cat.

Paulie_Walnuts

He's my cat now. If you want him back you'll have to fight me for him!  ;)
Paulie W

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

the only animal on earth lazier than me, my dear Roxy:

TEO

Very admirable Paulie! You are so Loved... :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

iLikeBeer

Love seeing all the great pics of everyone's adorable pets!  :)

Here's 2 of our family pets, Cocoa and Bella.

They're not spoiled in the least!   ::)

We've had Bella since she was a puppy which will be 3 years this X-mas.  She's a newfie/lab mix and a very cool dog.  We got her as a bridge to my oldest dog Reilly (the old man is 13 and father time is really catcing up with him).  She loves water and my parents have a pond where she goes flying off their dock to retive sticks we throw in the water!  She's definitely got the energy of a lab and not the laid back attitude of newfies!  :D  Here's a shot of her in action!

Then. a llittle over a year ago, my wife and I found Cocoa dodging traffic on a busy road.  My wife opened the door to my truck and he hopped in and the rest is history!   :)  We posted that we found him at the local shelter but no one came looking for him.  Turns out, he's about the same age as Bella and they became quite fond of having each other as playmates.  I really didn't want to name him in the cliche of something chocolate as he has some chocolate lab in him.  But my girls were bound and determined that his name was Cocoa, so Cocoa it was!   :P

And here's a pic of old man Reilly:

He's a springer mix and I've had him since he was a pup.  He's not too fond of the young labs.   >:(  And he's also pretty freaking spoiled!

Paulie_Walnuts

From a no pet household we've got the animal bug! Between me, my wife, and my sister-in-law we've got a horse. Apparently it's a Czechoslovakian Warmblood and has potential to be a pretty good jumper. Although luckily for the horse I'm too heavy for it!

I am able to do a lot of work with it on the lunge rein though, as well as free schooling it in the exercise ring. It's fascinating stuff.....the old horse whisperin' Robert Redford thing!

Paulie W

weeniebeenie

Quote from: Paulie_Walnuts on Feb 23, 2011, 09:30 AM
From a no pet household we've got the animal bug! Between me, my wife, and my sister-in-law we've got a horse. Apparently it's a Czechoslovakian Warmblood and has potential to be a pretty good jumper. Although luckily for the horse I'm too heavy for it!

I am able to do a lot of work with it on the lunge rein though, as well as free schooling it in the exercise ring. It's fascinating stuff.....the old horse whisperin' Robert Redford thing!

I. Want.

Warmbloods are supposed to be really good for jumping and dressage.
Are you going to take him to shows or is he just for trail riding?
What is his name?
How loud can silence get?

Paulie_Walnuts

It's a mare called Gina. She already had the name when we bought her, otherwise I'd have gone for something more flamboyant!!

My sister-in-law is going to go for shows and dressage in future. I'll see if I can post some video footage sometime.
Paulie W

weeniebeenie

Quote from: Paulie_Walnuts on Feb 25, 2011, 08:16 AM
It's a mare called Gina. She already had the name when we bought her, otherwise I'd have gone for something more flamboyant!!

My sister-in-law is going to go for shows and dressage in future. I'll see if I can post some video footage sometime.
Awesome!!

lil sis

meet Nanook  :)

"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

bluesky

Hey Good looking! 

weeniebeenie

Nanook is sooo cute!

el_chode

I told my dog the new album is coming out in the very near future and look at the professional level of drool he produced
I'm surrounded by assholes

the_wizzard

So this the other Otis, chode? He is a cutie...nice drool!

the_wizzard

This is my Otis enjoying one of his favorite pastimes, snuggling.

bunk_moreland

The Admiral enjoying a freezer pop.  He goes nuts for them, but only grape and orange.

The Admiral and Uncle Lewis

Uncle Lewis is stricken with shame and self loathing.
"I just saw My Morning Jacket--They blew my pants off!" - Jimmy Fallon

Jane

this is my dog harper when she was a puppy. she's almost 2 now. She's a chocolate brown boston terrier