The LOST thread

Started by Ghosts_on_TV, May 10, 2007, 07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

just watched the recap of last weeks episode and noticed the last shot is of jack, hurley, etc in a little group and ben in white on the outside and richard in black on the other side.  subtext?

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Charlotte looked like a very high end prostitute in that episode.  I would have tapped it for sure.  So what did we learn tonight?  Sawyer has/will bang every chick on the show if they can write it in.   Widmore/Sawyer/etc was predicta-dull.   Damn setup episodes.  I noticed kate never touched evil locke, not even when he extended his hand to help her up.  Next week looks bomb as hell.  Richard info is always important.  Where the fuck is desmond?  what.the.fuck.  Sawyer as a cop? Only way it works is because Miles is bad ass and pulls that shit off.  Also, why the fuck even make kate wear a hood on that last scene?  who didn't know it was her?  Get this love affair shit over with already.  Faraday better not end up being Jack's son.  Why is evil locke so nice and who was his deranged mom? wtf? are there dinosaurs on the island? if walt has a comic book with dinosaurs in it can he manifest dinosaurs on the island?  too many questions.  If it's some battlestar galactica ending I'm going to be fucking PISSED.  that shit was so fucking lame.  

maybe vincent will take out Evil Locke with a slow-mo classic huge dog leap attack?  I'd be totally satisfied with that.  then vincent could morph into Jacob and they fight each other in the style of the matrix only with less expensive CGI.  

Sayid is gone yo.

AMightyCaporal

at least next weeks will be all about richard... bout time we got some answers from him!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

mjkoehler

QuoteCharlotte looked like a very high end prostitute in that episode.  I would have tapped it for sure.  
Take a number n00b. Charlotte is mine, ALL MINE.

Yeah, clearly a set em up epi, not that it is a problem.

My take on the side flashes is this. That world is falling apart. All of them are coming together for some kind of thing. It started with little glimpes of "oh there is a lostie hidden in so and so's flash." We started seeing more, good example is Jim being locked up in the cooler in Sayid's flash. WTF?!?! Now Miles and Sawyer are partners and Sawyer taps Charlotte and he happens to apprehend Kate? Somethings is so f'd up. I cannot wait!

el_chode

QuoteCharlotte looked like a very high end prostitute in that episode.  I would have tapped it for sure.  

My take on the side flashes is this. That world is falling apart. All of them are coming together for some kind of thing. It started with little glimpes of "oh there is a lostie hidden in so and so's flash." We started seeing more, good example is Jim being locked up in the cooler in Sayid's flash. WTF?!?! Now Miles and Sawyer are partners and Sawyer taps Charlotte and he happens to apprehend Kate? Somethings is so f'd up. I cannot wait!

I think this confirms my prior point about the side-line: everyone who sides with Locke ends up falling short of their previous selves in the alternate timeline. Let's prove the point with Sawyer:

- He's no longer Sawyer
- He's no longer a (good) liar
- He's no longer a super-smooth ladies man since he can't make it nice with Charlotte. In fact, the simple premise of him going back for forgivenees is very un-Sawyer
- People boss his ass around quite easily

Whereas Hurley is on top of the world, lucky, has it all, etc.

Kate, who has not clearly chosen a side, has her alternate timeline still undecided. She's in fact, ultimately in the same position as she would have been, except she's still hitting walls on and off the island.

Aaron's role is looking to be evermore important.

And if Desmond isn't brought back I'm going to punch someone.
I'm surrounded by assholes

AMightyCaporal

I think this confirms my prior point about the side-line: everyone who sides with Locke ends up falling short of their previous selves in the alternate timeline. Let's prove the point with Sawyer:

- He's no longer Sawyer
- He's no longer a super-smooth ladies man since he can't make it nice with Charlotte. In fact, the simple premise of him going back for forgivenees is very un-Sawyer

Kate, who has not clearly chosen a side, has her alternate timeline still undecided. She's in fact, ultimately in the same position as she would have been, except she's still hitting walls on and off the island.

True, when Kate was by herself, Sawyer let her go in the airport (even though he was a police officer) and once she was in Locke's group, she got caught by Sawyer.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

- He's no longer Sawyer

I think you're definitely on the right track.  It seems fairly obvious that they're bringing in the element of "karma" now with all the previous religious undertones.  It probably also has something to do with where you fall on the scale of light and dark via what dogan said to sayid.

So did Charlotte end up not going back to the island in the alternate time line?  is that why she's alive or has that part in that specific time line not occurred yet?  

figure the losties are on the island for 108days, 100days = 4years off the island.  

the mathematical concepts are f'ing with me now.  They have got to have some kind of formula that explains each persons role in both time lines.

Locke working as a "substitute" teacher seems curious.  Did Hugo/Rose get him that job?

to support your claim, Locke is a good example:

alternate timeline:
-still with helen
-he's happy
-he's lost his faith in miracles it seems because he ripped up Jacks card.
-his new job seems more fulfilling.
etc.

Ilana is starting to intrigue me.  She called Richard "Richardo" during season 5 which made me think maybe she was on the black rock.  but it doesn't explain why she was in a full body cast in russia.  I think her and richard are going to hit it of and sail into the sunset on the giant foot.

el_chode

My theory is nice as to what is going on, but it doesn't answer the larger "why".

Now, this whole thing  as a "substitute" - perhaps that is Locke's larger role in things?

And at one point Sawyer says, "God has nothing to do with the island" or something last night.

As far as Charlotte, the one statement that always stood out to me were her dying words of "I know more about Carthage than Hannibal" or something to that effect.

I too am wondering how they're going to reconcile the alternate timeline, other than the whole thing is linear and the choices they make on the island now will determine what happens when they get off the island in year xxxx. Then you just need to explain away the amnesia.

And what book did they so obviously point out last night?

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

As far as Charlotte, the one statement that always stood out to me were her dying words of "I know more about Carthage than Hannibal" or something to that effect.

interesting:

Carthage [(kahr-thij)]

An ancient city in north Africa, established by traders from Phoenicia. Carthage was a commercial and political rival of Rome for much of the third and second centuries b.c. The Carthaginian general Hannibal attempted to capture Rome by moving an army from Spain through the Alps, but he was prevented and finally defeated in his own country. At the end of the Punic Wars, the Romans destroyed Carthage, as the senator Cato had long urged. The character Dido, lover of Aeneas in the Aeneid, was a queen of Carthage.

wasn't Tunisia where Charlotte was excavating that bear with the dharama tag?  Also isn't Tunisia where you pop out if you turn the wheel?  that is strange.  She told Jin that the island was "death" in korean or whatever that language was right?

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I've got a question involving desmond and libby.  Who was libby's husband during that time when desmond and libby met?  She was rich wasn't she?  because she just gave Desmond that sailboat.   ?what if.. when desmond was going through the flashes he was effecting the alternate timeline...Perhaps Hurley is her husband... maybe thats' too far out there.  But eloise was talking about how no matter what she did she couldn't help that one guy who was going to die (probably just a metaphor about charlie) but still. wtf?  

I'm also hanging on to the thought that charlie is desmonds son sent through time.  

el_chode

interesting:

Carthage [(kahr-thij)]

An ancient city in north Africa, established by traders from Phoenicia. Carthage was a commercial and political rival of Rome for much of the third and second centuries b.c. The Carthaginian general Hannibal attempted to capture Rome by moving an army from Spain through the Alps, but he was prevented and finally defeated in his own country. At the end of the Punic Wars, the Romans destroyed Carthage, as the senator Cato had long urged. The character Dido, lover of Aeneas in the Aeneid, was a queen of Carthage.

wasn't Tunisia where Charlotte was excavating that bear with the dharama tag?  Also isn't Tunisia where you pop out if you turn the wheel?  that is strange.  She told Jin that the island was "death" in korean or whatever that language was right?

That is EXACTLY why I've been intrigued about it. Plus Carthaginian ties to the ancient world insofar as hieroglyphics and statues is pretty interesting as well. It's where they all get spit out, where Ben used his magic stick on all those folk, and I think its where Widmore was waiting for him.

And I'm just holding on to the thought that Desmond is still important.

el_chode

QuoteI've got a question involving desmond and libby.  Who was libby's husband during that time when desmond and libby met?  She was rich wasn't she?  because she just gave Desmond that sailboat.   ?what if.. when desmond was going through the flashes he was effecting the alternate timeline...Perhaps Hurley is her husband... maybe thats' too far out there.  But eloise was talking about how no matter what she did she couldn't help that one guy who was going to die (probably just a metaphor about charlie) but still. wtf?  

I'm also hanging on to the thought that charlie is desmonds son sent through time.  

Also,  I believe her husband was dead and that's all we know at that time.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Well if desmond is the constant in the equation he has to be important.  Would Juliet be a constant in the equation as well?  

is it as simple as: one time line is good and one is bad?

What faraday said before he died, what he knew was essentially how to change the future.  He just had no idea that there were God like beings manipulating the variables.  right?

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

also I think Widmore and Sayid drink the same whiskey.  Desmond got hammered on a bottle of the same shit when the sailboat came back to the island after his first attempt at leaving the island.  

Did we ever find out what the fuck they were injecting the prego's with?  Desmond was shooting himself up like crazy.  The other totally random thing that is popping out in my brain is when Ben orders that Juliet be "marked" for helping Jack and then everyone gasped.  Did branding her do something to her place in time?  They never even started to explain that.  maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.  

el_chode

QuoteWell if desmond is the constant in the equation he has to be important.  Would Juliet be a constant in the equation as well?  

is it as simple as: one time line is good and one is bad?

What faraday said before he died, what he knew was essentially how to change the future.  He just had no idea that there were God like beings manipulating the variables.  right?

I think your last statement is one of the underlying, constant themes - the balance between faith and knowledge, empiricism and deontological thought, etc.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I have to look up the words you just posted haha.  

What do you think about this theory - Desmond caused them to time travel which is why there is such a big time difference.   When the oceanic 6 left they were gone for 3 years.  when they got back it had only been 3 years.   It doesn't add up, does it?  I know I'm stoned but like the sky changed and they held their heads like they were time travelin mofos.  plus the idea of them time traveling at that point in the series wasn't even realistic.  did they sneak a big obvious secret by us?

el_chode

QuoteI have to look up the words you just posted haha.  

What do you think about this theory - Desmond caused them to time travel which is why there is such a big time difference.   When the oceanic 6 left they were gone for 3 years.  when they got back it had only been 3 years.   It doesn't add up, does it?  I know I'm stoned but like the sky changed and they held their heads like they were time travelin mofos.  plus the idea of them time traveling at that point in the series wasn't even realistic.  did they sneak a big obvious secret by us?

Sorry, its the philosophy major in me that gets off on the show so much, and ultimately will be the most let down when its all for nothing.

I always assumed that the "pocket" was dark matter or something that could be made more or less dense that allowed the island to warp the space-time fabric. The "bearing" was the way one could travel out in a linear path that would least-distort the time of the person traveling it. Anyone who traveled along any deviation of that bearing would be lost in time, and since the island was moving and could not be controlled, it did not follow that bearing, and thus everyone got lost.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

philosophy is really mind blowing sometimes, I wish I knew more about it.  I loved the time travel/physics part.  It's so easy to fuck up time travel and they've seriously taken it to another level stylistically.   I'm in the same boat though, I've got high hopes for the end.  As long as they don't dumb things down to appease a larger audience I'll be happy.  It's been six fucking years.  They lose nothing going out with a bang, I just hope doesn't happen all lame.  like "oh love saved the day" or some bullshit cliche.   at least the picture is becoming clearer and it's almost fucking over.  They should be running two hour episodes all season.  

the_wizzard

QuoteSounds like you have a crush on the dog dude

vincent is awesome, you'll see.

Vincent is my fav...and very, very important.  After the crash, he was told to wake up Jack by Zombie Christian because "he had work to do".  He led Shannon into the woods where she saw Walt and heard the whispers.  There are so many more Vincent moments, read 'em here:
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vincent

the_wizzard

And did anyone else notice Chip from the 80's TV show Kate and Alli on Widmore's team at the end of last weeks episode?  It took me and my friend forever to remember what show he was on.....