Futbol Anyone?

Started by purvis9876, Dec 10, 2008, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkoehler

QuoteI feel you man.  Of course, you could be subjected to D'boy's Reading club, whatever the f kinda footie they play. :-X
Oi! Less of that!!  >:(

2-1 against Leicester City tonight, we've gone from 3rd bottom back up to 11th  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Fight Fight Fight Fight

Ruckus

QuoteSeriously ESPN 2? Fucking Seriously? You are covering Aston Villa v Wolverhampton instead of Man U v Liverpool? Fuck you ESPN. Dammit

I know I shouldn't post in here since I'm not a fan...but you can't be that surprised. It's not like soccer is even big here, unless it's World Cup season. The sad truth is that more people would rather watch the WNBA...I'd rather watch soccer.  
I know. I should be happy they are showing any match. I looked at their Sunday schedule, it's fucking fishing shows.

Ruckus- Agree about the world cup. Didn't Beckhem just go down with an injury? If I remember, he was captain? ouch.

He's definitely out but I think it's a blessing for the English team.  Beckham is such a one trick pony in his old age.  He remains effective in set pieces, corners and long balls.  That said, he is a defensive liability, lacks pace and creativity with the ball, and seems to limit the possibilities of what is a very well rounded and surprisingly athletic English team.

I guess we'll see but I felt like Capello felt compelled to play Beckham no matter his match fitness.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Anyone going to watch the Champions League final?  Go Bayern Munchen!  It sucks that Ribery is out though.

ynwa

Just found this thread.  Seems to be a 2 man show.  Any room in here for a chick?  Not sayin who I support, its pretty obvious ;D.

Got the camps league final on & muller just missed a sitter @ start of 2nd half.  Damn!  C' Mon bayern!  
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Jaimoe

Ribery got a raw deal with the 3-game suspension, but nothing UEFA/FIFA does surprises me. I'm cheering for Bayern, but only by default, plus Ribery is my favourite player.

Ruckus

This game is killing me.  Admittedly, Inter are playing their style to perfection and Milito has finished with class on his only two chances.  That said, Howard Webb has been giving all the calls to Inter and his blatant miss of a terrible handball in the box in the 1st half by Maikon was unforgivable and a PK would have changed the game completely.  The absence of Ribery has been so noticeable as Inter has been bracketing Robben on the right wing and left Altintop (Ribery's replacement) with room, not fearing his attacking ability.

Ughhhhhh

Ruckus

QuoteJust found this thread.  Seems to be a 2 man show.  Any room in here for a chick?  Not sayin who I support, its pretty obvious ;D.

Got the camps league final on & muller just missed a sitter @ start of 2nd half.  Damn!  C' Mon bayern!  

Welcome ynwa! ;D  The more the merrier.  Please join us in the World Cup thread as well :)

ynwa

QuoteJust found this thread.  Seems to be a 2 man show.  Any room in here for a chick?  Not sayin who I support, its pretty obvious ;D.

Welcome ynwa! ;D  The more the merrier.  Please join us in the World Cup thread as well :)

thanks ruckus!  i will definitely be checking out the world cup thread as well.  funny how most of my friends don't share my love of the game AND mmj is something that hasn't quite caught their attention either.

that final - ugh is right.  bayern definitely missed ribery - that guy is insane & could've torn inter apart.  i'm not sure inter could have dealt with both him and robben @ the same time.  oh well.  robben was more or less marked out of the match, although he did have a nice effort saved, we really didn't get to see him play in his true style.  bayern seemed to have an advantage in posession but didn't take their chances, what few they had.  and yes, howard webb missed a blatant handball in the box.  i usually like him as a ref but this wasn't his best match.  as much as i don't want to, i've got to say that inter deserved the win.  huge credit to milito for scoring 2 fantastic goals, the second of which was a real beauty.  and then, inter did what all morinho lead teams do and parked the fucking bus after that.

bummer.  but now that the champs league final is out of the way (i really didn't have much vested interest in either team) i cannot wait for the world cup!!!

Ruckus

Managed to snag tix for tha Man City v. Inter match here in B'more on July 31st.  If its anywhere near the successthe Milan v. Chelsea exhibition was here, it should be a blast!

ynwa

QuoteManaged to snag tix for tha Man City v. Inter match here in B'more on July 31st.  If its anywhere near the successthe Milan v. Chelsea exhibition was here, it should be a blast!

nice!  gotta admit i'm totally jealous!

mjkoehler

QuoteManaged to snag tix for tha Man City v. Inter match here in B'more on July 31st.  If its anywhere near the successthe Milan v. Chelsea exhibition was here, it should be a blast!
Lucky

ynwa

so.... anyone else eagerly awaiting the start of the 2010/11 EPL season???

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5rhQ9csVu0&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Ruckus

I definitely am looking forward to it though I haven't sorted out many of the roster changes yet.

The Inter/Man City match was a disappointment.  Unfortunately, unlike last year with Chelsea/AC Milan where it was a crazy atmosphere and sold out, this year's was rather tame with the stadium only half sold out.  It's not gonna help B'more's attempt to be a World Cup site in the future.

The game was essentially over once Patrick Viera got straight red carded for elbowing Materazzi.  Interesting huh?  The same Viera that was Zidane's teammate in '06 in the World Cup and the same Materazzi that flopped on Zidane's head butt.  Going in, we knew Inter was the better side but man down didn't help.

It was still great to be able to see an international match within walking distance from my place but I fear we won't be getting another one after this year's turnout. :-/

ynwa

it's too bad there wasn't more interest in that milan/man city match.  if it had been fucking man utd, i'm sure the stadium would've been packed or thereabouts.  i don't think man city has a large fan base here in the states.  possibly only in manchester & then some scattered pockets of folks who have relocated.  the gallagher bros of oasis fame are city supporters; as is ricky hatton.  but i think that's it.

too bad is wasn't a good match.  i tuned in for a little while but didn't watch the whole thing.  it would've been better actually being there.  so excellent job on getting out there to show people what's up - "the game is in US" (i assume you've signed the petition?)    

the transfer rumors drive me nuts.  as a liverpool supporter, i was extra worried when the manager left.  i thought there'd be a mass exodus of all our "international stars".  honestly, after last season i'm surprised torres is staying.  but thank God!

as for everton, i don't think they did too much yet.  they signed jermaine beckford (striker) on a free.  to my knowledge, everton usually don't do too much big money spending, because they don't have big money to spend.  and even though i should hate them on principle, i have always had respect for the way they play.  tim cahill is a menace!!!

you probably already have it bookmarked, but in case not - you should check out the bbc sport website.  they are pretty quick w/ the updates.  and when the season gets underway, check out the live text section.  it can be hilarious.

let's go reds!!!

Ruckus

So pissed I missed this.  Everton!!  Toffees score 2 in stoppage time to draw Man U 3-3. :o

mjkoehler

I've yet to watch a match this season. Once my race paces, I'll be able to catch them Saturday mornings.

iLikeBeer

I usually don't start watching matches until the college football season is over.  I usually just catch Super Sunday Plus on Fox Soccer Channel to get my weekly recap.

I guess Sir Alex is a bit pissed after his squad squandered that two goal lead and let yet another valuable two points slip away at Goodison.

That is now twice this season that ManU has let crucial road wins slip away as they let in a late goal at Fulham for a draw after Nani missed a PK that would have sealed the 3 points for United...  :-/

ynwa

i'm definitely annoyed that i didn't watch the everton v. utd match.  would've loved to see them throw that one away!  is it just me or does SAF only give post game interviews when they win?   ::)

they almost did it again yesterday!  i just kept thinking "all it takes is 1 goal & the utd. defense will unravel".  and it did!

*gripe warning* o'shea should've been sent off for that foul on torres.  he was the last defender & it was a goal scoring opportunity.  torres is one fast mofo & i think he'd have beaten van der saar in that foot race.  and then, fucking berbatov for the hat trick.  WAH!!!  gut-wrenching.  but man does that guy have skills!

fine, utd did outplay liverpool in the 1st half.  but my beloved reds picked it up in the 2nd half.  i think given the performances of both teams over the 90+ minutes, a draw would've been the fair result.    

Ruckus

Hey Liz...did ya see the pre T5 matchup on Sunday the 17th?  I hope it doesn't dampen any vibes ;D ;)  If we pull it off, the 1st red headed slut is on me

mjkoehler

QuoteHey Liz...did ya see the pre T5 matchup on Sunday the 17th?  I hope it doesn't dampen any vibes ;D ;)  If we pull it off, the 1st red headed slut is on me
Hey, I want in if red headed sluts are being given out!!!

I have yet to get a match in this season. Now that I do not have to get up so god awful early to run on Saturdays I can start watching. I had a chance this past Saturday, but it was ManU. ugh