Futbol Anyone?

Started by purvis9876, Dec 10, 2008, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Well the US has to be excited about their World Cup Draw.  It couldn't have gone any better except for maybe England loving their draw even more.

What better way to open than against England!  A ways away but I gotta think that if we can walk away with a point against England, we should move on
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

mjkoehler

Happy that I'm actually able to enjoy a footie today. Fulham v A Villa. Neither are the greatest teams, but it's nice to have a match at a normal morning time and I can actually sit and watch.

Ruckus

QuoteHappy that I'm actually able to enjoy a footie today. Fulham v A Villa. Neither are the greatest teams, but it's nice to have a match at a normal morning time and I can actually sit and watch.

Sweet!  Good to see someone in this thread still.  The U.S. team is starting to worry me.  Davies is already out for the World Cup and now Dempsey is hurt.  If he is out for sure, they are in trouble before it even begins.

mjkoehler

The 2 goals I saw from AV were outstanding.

MarkW

Is this where the World Cup banter starts?  Roll on Saturday 12 June...

BTW, you might enjoy this story regarding the guy who threw a coin at Bellamy during the City/United match:

[size=14]Rivals target Man Utd supporter accused of Craig Bellamy coin attack[/size]
FOOTBALL'S coming home for the Manchester United fan accused of throwing a coin at Man City striker Craig Bellamy.

In fact, it's coming right to his front door.

For Red Devils supporter Adam Teese is feeling the flipside of his alleged coin attack - with furious City fans bombarding his house with pranks.

Adam's name and address were released by police after the season ticket holder was charged with throwing a coin at Bellamy during the Manchester derby last week.

And within 24 hours, the enraged blue half of Manchester had ordered him £150-worth of pizzas, a skip, rat exterminators and TWO PROSTITUTES.

The barrage of jokes didn't end there either. City supporters also:

* Ordered him a bronze statue of WINSTON CHURCHILL.
* Sent a salesman to estimate the cost of an INDOOR SWIMMING POOL.
* Booked him a performance by SQUEAKY THE CLOWN.

Details of the pranks began surfacing on supporters' forums. Despite later being removed by Man City website Blue Moon, they were still picked up by other clubs.

This resulted in yet more misery for 26-year-old Adam, who lives with his parents. As well as a bouncy castle, a call from an Avon representative, a breakdown truck and a puppet show, he was also treated to a 1957 Pink Cadillac complete with Elvis-style chauffeur.

But dad Joseph, 55, raged: "We've had no end of trouble - I've had to take time off work to deal with it."

Teese will appear before Trafford Magistrates on February 9 accused of "throwing a missile on to the pitch" during the Carling Cup Semi- Final second leg at Old Trafford.

Mum Deborah insists her son is innocent, adding: "I was sat next to him and he did not throw anything. We actually had to duck when a bottle was thrown over us!"

Last night a Greater Manchester Police spokeswoman said: "Officers are investigating the incidents."
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjkoehler

No, I think the banter started when I was in Disney when the Brazilian tour groups damn near started a riot with the Argentinian tour groups at the Indiana Jones re-enactment stunt show.

Ruckus

QuoteNo, I think the banter started when I was in Disney when the Brazilian tour groups damn near started a riot with the Argentinian tour groups at the Indiana Jones re-enactment stunt show.

That's classic ;D

I tell ya.  That Argentinian team is real strong but they really struggled to qualify.  That may bode well for them, who knows.  I think I'm going to have to start a separate World Cup thread soon.  The anticipation is killing me.  It is my single favorite sporting event in the world, well above Super Bowls, World Series, Olympics, Sunday Grand Slam Golf, Stanley Cup and March Madness.

Cannot Wait

mjkoehler

QuoteNo, I think the banter started when I was in Disney when the Brazilian tour groups damn near started a riot with the Argentinian tour groups at the Indiana Jones re-enactment stunt show.

That's classic ;D

I tell ya.  That Argentinian team is real strong but they really struggled to qualify.  That may bode well for them, who knows.  I think I'm going to have to start a separate World Cup thread soon.  The anticipation is killing me.  It is my single favorite sporting event in the world, well above Super Bowls, World Series, Olympics, Sunday Grand Slam Golf, Stanley Cup and March Madness.

Cannot Wait
My son and I huddled together with the older Japanese tourists that were next to us, in fear for our lives. I mean come on, who the fuck brings your nations flag to Disney. A flag that is the size of the side of a house.

Ruckus

That's classic ;D

Cannot Wait
My son and I huddled together with the older Japanese tourists that were next to us, in fear for our lives. I mean come on, who the fuck brings your nations flag to Disney. A flag that is the size of the side of a house.

The story gets better as you unveil more little facts ;D  I was in Germany during the last World Cup and there were groups of Brazilian fans of at least 50 - 100 in airports in both Amsterdam and Munich, banging away at a number of drums and chanting.  In an AIRPORT, in a WAITING AREA!  It was loud

So my absolute love of the World Cup was the deciding factor in not going to Bonnaroo this year, even when it is announced that the Jacket are playing.  June 12th is the U.S.' first game and I can't miss it.

mjkoehler

Yeah, the Brazilians are nuts. if anyone wanted to take over Brazil by getting rid of the middle class, I think they were all in Disney when I was there. I suspect it will be the same come june. Hmmmm time to contemplate a revolution.

Ruckus

:D :o 8-) [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=cheesy.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

EVERTON!  The double!  Chelsea and Man U. in one week!  I LOVE IT!

mjkoehler

I very VERY happy to see the Mancs lose.

Ruckus

QuoteI very VERY happy to see the Mancs lose.

Yup.  I'm not a hater of Man. U. so much as a hater of Smug Alex Ferguson and all the American followers.  Hey, there are other EPL teams out there peoples!

It's really great to see Donovan succeed at the highest level of European soccer.  He had failed so many times that I am very surprised at the overall impact he has had on the Everton squad.  Though he wasn't all that effective against Man U., he has really helped make the Everton attack more dynamic over the past month.

mjkoehler

QuoteI very VERY happy to see the Mancs lose.

Yup.  I'm not a hater of Man. U. so much as a hater of Smug Alex Ferguson and all the American followers.  Hey, there are other EPL teams out there peoples!

It's really great to see Donovan succeed at the highest level of European soccer.  He had failed so many times that I am very surprised at the overall impact he has had on the Everton squad.  Though he wasn't all that effective against Man U., he has really helped make the Everton attack more dynamic over the past month.
I just wish the asshats at Fox Sport realized there are more EPL teams then just Man U and Chelsea. Seems every week it's one of their matches. Granted I don't want to necessarily see the teams on the bottom but some variety would be nice. Kind of hard for someone to form an opinion on a club when you never get to see them.

mjkoehler

Seriously ESPN 2? Fucking Seriously? You are covering Aston Villa v Wolverhampton instead of Man U v Liverpool? Fuck you ESPN. Dammit

Ruckus

QuoteSeriously ESPN 2? Fucking Seriously? You are covering Aston Villa v Wolverhampton instead of Man U v Liverpool? Fuck you ESPN. Dammit
;D  I feel you man.  Of course, you could be subjected to D'boy's Reading club, whatever the f kinda footie they play. :-X

I can't believe I'm saying this because I'm a Man U (EDIT) disliker, but as of now, I agree with the masses that Rooney is footballer of the year.  I always respected his all around game but the striking ability he has shown in key game after game w/o Ronaldo has been amazing.  He truly is a well rounded, multi-talented player.

That said, we know the English will still choke in the World Cup.  That goes w/o saying.

.Walt

QuoteSeriously ESPN 2? Fucking Seriously? You are covering Aston Villa v Wolverhampton instead of Man U v Liverpool? Fuck you ESPN. Dammit

I know I shouldn't post in here since I'm not a fan...but you can't be that surprised. It's not like soccer is even big here, unless it's World Cup season. The sad truth is that more people would rather watch the WNBA...I'd rather watch soccer.  
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

mjkoehler

I know I shouldn't post in here since I'm not a fan...but you can't be that surprised. It's not like soccer is even big here, unless it's World Cup season. The sad truth is that more people would rather watch the WNBA...I'd rather watch soccer.  
I know. I should be happy they are showing any match. I looked at their Sunday schedule, it's fucking fishing shows.

Ruckus- Agree about the world cup. Didn't Beckhem just go down with an injury? If I remember, he was captain? ouch.

Penny Lane

I know. I should be happy they are showing any match. I looked at their Sunday schedule, it's fucking fishing shows.

Ruckus- Agree about the world cup. Didn't Beckhem just go down with an injury? If I remember, he was captain? ouch.

yep he's out ...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

dragonboy

QuoteI feel you man.  Of course, you could be subjected to D'boy's Reading club, whatever the f kinda footie they play. :-X
Oi! Less of that!!  >:(

2-1 against Leicester City tonight, we've gone from 3rd bottom back up to 11th  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.