Winter Gardening

Started by touchingmept2, Nov 04, 2010, 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingmept2

I'm thinking about growing some scented plants for the winter. I've got a really small shed to use. Any plants or other pointers? I could use the help, I've never grown anything. :-/
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

walterfredo

depending on where you live there are plenty of vegetables you can grow in the winter.  Right now I have some cauliflower,brussels sprouts, cabbage and broccoli growing.  

For the new gardener, I would highly recommend this book.  It's the bible. (not sure if this is the latest edition I linked or not)

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetables-Berries-Thought-Possible-Imagine/dp/1580087965/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288896458&sr=8-1

touchingmept2

Have you ever grown any vegetables or fruits hydroponically?

walterfredo

Bigsky

QuoteI plead the fifth.

;D    ;)

walterfredo

seriously though, I have never grown actual fruits and veggies hdyro.  I live in California...it's easiest to let the sun and the soil do the dirty work.  

woodnymph

This is an exciting thread to see!

Heheh well whereabouts do ya live, pt. 2? walterfredo you lucky Cali resident, growin' avocados, pineapples, coconuts, & guava!!  :P (well, maybe not all those.......... but I'm still envious!)

I've never grown anything hydroponically, but even in southwestern PA there are things that grow well in the cold.... most of them ought to have been started by now, to mature through Nov/December.... but there's certainly ways to extend the growing season if you're in a colder climate.

That looks like a great book! I may have to request that for xmas!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

TheBigChicken

gardening is a blast ! Don't worry about not being successful with your bounty. I think soil preparation is very important. You could take a soil sample to your local extension office. A proper ph is important. Have fun and keep us all posted !
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

touchingmept2

Thanks for the encouragement fellow jacketeers!