The Fitness Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jan 08, 2010, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 14, 2011, 02:20 PM
be careful this weekend kiddies. It's been miserablly hot here (except today which was nice). Heat indexes around 120. WTF?!?! Normally I run at 4:30AM to avoid the heat, but when the heat index is 100 at 4:30AM, there ain't any avoiding anything.

Yup, same thing here, I try getting up at 5:30, but it's still miserable outside. Too many hours on the hamster wheel at the Y these days.  ;D
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

mjk73

Quote from: jones on Jul 14, 2011, 02:28 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 14, 2011, 02:20 PM
be careful this weekend kiddies. It's been miserablly hot here (except today which was nice). Heat indexes around 120. WTF?!?! Normally I run at 4:30AM to avoid the heat, but when the heat index is 100 at 4:30AM, there ain't any avoiding anything.
No joke.  We had a heat index of 128 on Monday.  I ran at 0530 this morning and it was really nice out.
apparently we're soaking up the heat before it hits you in the morning. The only saving grace when its that early and it's still that hot, is the sun isn't out making it even worse. It's how I keep my glorious pasty skintone.

Hawkeye

Jonesy/Flyguy - Went to the local bike shop on Saturday.  They only had one 19" mountain bike model...I think it was a Wahoo.  It didn't have the front suspension lock-out feature, and seeing as how I want to do some road riding too, that was kind of a deal breaker.  They called another local shop and they had a Marlin, which does have the lock-out.  They're going to ship that down here on Tuesday, so I'll probably stop by and give it a whirl, but I also had them put a Cobia on order.  I really want to go with a Cobia (I like the idea of low-maintenance hydraulic disc brakes), but they think they won't be able to get one until September or October.  Ah well, I guess it gives me some time to save!

Thanks for the suggestions, man!
We could.

woodnymph

So I took a Primal Combat class at the Firefly Gathering this past weekend, and the sensei who taught it seems pretty awesome (and badass!) and has been practicing martial arts for 18 years.

Very strongly considering taking a self-defense class with him soon. (first class with him is free!)  I've wanted to take a self-defense class for at least a few years now but have prioritized my schedule otherwise...

Here's a video of both teachers from the dojo that I'm considering..... the lady teacher I haven't yet met, but she is so badass--such an inspiration!

Rope / Belt technique, hojojutsu, cane, women's defense

Not really sure where I'd like to go, and though the guy teacher is really cool, I'd kind of like to have a female teacher to learn from if possible.... any of you lovely ladies on here have any enlightenment on learning self-defense??
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

tdb810

My 5k is tomorrow nite :)
hopefully i won't have heat stroke!
.....Back at the Model Home

mjk73

Hawkeye

Hey Flyguy,
My boss came across this Trek model, from 2002, for $350-ish (original list was around $3700).  Full suspension, carbon fiber frame...no disc brakes though.  Think it's worth that, for the frame alone?  Then I could maybe just ride this one on the trails and get the road bike?  Any thoughts?

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-categories-bikes/2002-full-suspension/trek/stp-400/prd_358940_1493crx.aspx

We could.

jones

It is a complete bike, right?  Is it the right size for you?  If so, I think that I would go that route.  I don't think that V brakes should be a deal breaker, especially if you can afford both bikes by going with a used mountain bike.  Besides, you could always upgrade brakes down the road.  I would ask the seller if you can have it checked out by a local bike shop, though.  Your good deal could go sour if the bike hasn't had the proper maintenance or care given to it.  If you do buy the used bike make sure that you get it tuned up.  Let me know how it goes!

Hawkeye

Hey,
It is complete, and fits me well.  The chain has some sag in it and the brakes are noisy...I've got literally zero experience working on bikes and don't even know that much about how the gears work.  It definitely needs a tune-up.  I might go to the bike shop and try to score a bike rack, then take it in to them to have them look at it.  I know the seller somewhat, and I'm sure he'd like me have it for a few days.  I've heard that V brakes don't work in the wet weather that well?  True?  I'm torn at this point, although I don't think I can go too wrong either way, unless there is something structurally wrong with the carbon fiber frame.  I've heard they can crack and you wouldn't necessarily be able to see it.

So for now, it's all +'s and -'s.
Cobia
1)  New bike in known good condition
2)  hardtail for better road riding
3)  free tune-ups
4)  discounted accessories

ST400
1)  Cheaper - can also probably get a road bike with the money saved
2)  desirable frame
We could.

jones

It is true that the discs work just as well wet or dry, but the Vs will lose stopping power when wet.  I think that most mountain bikers and trail advocates would tell you that if it is that wet then you shouldn't be on the trail anyway.  Don't get me wrong, you can ride on a damp trail and not damage it, but if you're picking up mud on the tires and frame then you are probably making ruts.  The only time I ride and the discs are a true advantage is during a wet race because mountain bike races are almost never canceled or postponed due to weather/muddy trails.  Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the type of brakes for casual riding. 

I know that you're not racing or anything, but do you know the weight of the ST400?  I think that my friend's Cobia weighs in at around 28+ lbs which is pretty heavy, even for a 29er.  The carbon frame and 26" wheels should make it relatively light.  Having a lighter bike can make climbing quite a bit easier.

Hawkeye

So I found a 2011 Cobia at the Columbus store.  Was so excited to find one and not have to wait until October for the '12 model that I ordered it.  Picking it up this weekend!

However, I may still pick up that other model, as the frame alone may be worth the $350...the complete bike supposedly only weighs 20 lbs.  Good project bike, or maybe I can flip it if I don't like it.
We could.

Hawkeye

Sorry to jack this thread.  Probably should have been in the mountain-biking thread...I think we had one of those.
We could.

jones

ALady

Totally just realized flyguy=jones.

;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

jones

Quote from: ALady on Jul 20, 2011, 05:39 PM
Totally just realized flyguy=jones.

;D
:beer: Gotta keep you on your toes.

I just get bored sometimes...

mjk73

Oh gawd. I'm dead right now. The last time my clothes were this soaked from running was when I got caught in a downpour.

mjk73

jones

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 26, 2011, 11:27 AM
YES!!!!! Medical validation that drinking beer is good for me as a runner.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Can-Beer-Improve-Your-Run-Time.htm?cmp=1747
My favorite line: "look at your beer drinking as a training tool"

jones

I am still training for the Augusta Ironman 70.3 and the swimming is coming along pretty well, but I still don't know how I will handle the distance in the river.  I will go for my first open water swim in the morning and I'll use that as my go/no-go gauge.  I just got an email back from the folks in Augusta and they are sitting at 90% capacity so I will have to pull the trigger very soon or it will sell out.  It's crazy to me that I just "learned" how to swim and I'm considering a half Ironman two months later...

I really want to do this, but I'm definitely nervous.

Jon T.

Quote from: jones on Jul 26, 2011, 11:34 AM
I am still training for the Augusta Ironman 70.3 and the swimming is coming along pretty well, but I still don't know how I will handle the distance in the river.  I will go for my first open water swim in the morning and I'll use that as my go/no-go gauge.  I just got an email back from the folks in Augusta and they are sitting at 90% capacity so I will have to pull the trigger very soon or it will sell out.  It's crazy to me that I just "learned" how to swim and I'm considering a half Ironman two months later...

I really want to do this, but I'm definitely nervous.

Don't forget to take into account the other swimmers that will be pummeling you while you swim.  I have a buddy that is the most fit person I've ever known, but he always gets spooked during the swim because of this.  He has a training video that shows the guy swimming in open water with his buddies in kayaks on each side of him hitting him with padded paddles to get him used to the contact.