The Fitness Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jan 08, 2010, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jones

Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 26, 2011, 11:45 AM
Quote from: jones on Jul 26, 2011, 11:34 AM
I am still training for the Augusta Ironman 70.3 and the swimming is coming along pretty well, but I still don't know how I will handle the distance in the river.  I will go for my first open water swim in the morning and I'll use that as my go/no-go gauge.  I just got an email back from the folks in Augusta and they are sitting at 90% capacity so I will have to pull the trigger very soon or it will sell out.  It's crazy to me that I just "learned" how to swim and I'm considering a half Ironman two months later...

I really want to do this, but I'm definitely nervous.

Don't forget to take into account the other swimmers that will be pummeling you while you swim.  I have a buddy that is the most fit person I've ever known, but he always gets spooked during the swim because of this.  He has a training video that shows the guy swimming in open water with his buddies in kayaks on each side of him hitting him with padded paddles to get him used to the contact.
Yes, I am trying to take that into consideration, too.  Someone that I know that does full Ironmans told me that I'd better be ready to get kicked in the head, slapped, and dunked and be able to recover from it.  Since I think that I may be a slower swimmer than most by comparison, my tactic would be to try and let everone fight it out and do what I can to "swim alone", even if it means swimming a little extra distance or going into the water a few seconds late.

I basically just want to get through the swim for now and try to make up time on the bike and the run.

Jon T.

Quote from: jones on Jul 26, 2011, 12:07 PM
I am still training for the Augusta Ironman 70.3 and the swimming is coming along pretty well, but I still don't know how I will handle the distance in the river.  I will go for my first open water swim in the morning and I'll use that as my go/no-go gauge.  I just got an email back from the folks in Augusta and they are sitting at 90% capacity so I will have to pull the trigger very soon or it will sell out.  It's crazy to me that I just "learned" how to swim and I'm considering a half Ironman two months later...

Don't forget to take into account the other swimmers that will be pummeling you while you swim.  I have a buddy that is the most fit person I've ever known, but he always gets spooked during the swim because of this.  He has a training video that shows the guy swimming in open water with his buddies in kayaks on each side of him hitting him with padded paddles to get him used to the contact.
Yes, I am trying to take that into consideration, too.  Someone that I know that does full Ironmans told me that I'd better be ready to get kicked in the head, slapped, and dunked and be able to recover from it.  Since I think that I may be a slower swimmer than most by comparison, my tactic would be to try and let everone fight it out and do what I can to "swim alone", even if it means swimming a little extra distance or going into the water a few seconds late.

I basically just want to get through the swim for now and try to make up time on the bike and the run.

Or you can do that.  ;D  That's exactly what he does now. 

jones

Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 26, 2011, 12:22 PM
Quote from: jones on Jul 26, 2011, 12:07 PM

Or you can do that.  ;D  That's exactly what he does now.
So, to be clear, my strategy is to start out in last place.  Hey, at least I have a plan. :thumbsup:

mjk73

No point in killing yourself on the swim.

vespachick

Also, you probably know this already, but wearing a wetsuit helps a lot with the buoancy (sp?).  I'm a very strong swimmer but I'm afraid of open water swimming (I blame "Jaws").  A hundred years ago when I did tri's, wearing a wetsuit helped me a lot.  Swimming with boys is always challenging.  Was always a delight to participate in women only tri's because we're so much nicer.  Usually.  Good Luck!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

jones

jones

Quote from: vespachick on Jul 26, 2011, 01:27 PM
Also, you probably know this already, but wearing a wetsuit helps a lot with the buoancy (sp?).  I'm a very strong swimmer but I'm afraid of open water swimming (I blame "Jaws").  A hundred years ago when I did tri's, wearing a wetsuit helped me a lot.  Swimming with boys is always challenging.  Was always a delight to participate in women only tri's because we're so much nicer.  Usually.  Good Luck!
I'll take all of the help that I can get.  I need to check into this more, but here is the skinny on their rules for wetsuits:

Wetsuit Rules

◦Wetsuits cannot measure more than 5 mm thick.
◦Wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures between 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit and 28.8 degrees Celsius/ 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperature greater than 28.8 degrees Celsius/ 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit. Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperature greater than 28.8 degrees Celsius/ 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit.
◦Full wetsuits are permitted (arms and legs covered).
◦Prohibited Wetsuit: De Soto Water Rover

I wouldn't really know where to start.  Looking on the internet has only confused me about what suits to look at...

vespachick

Quote from: jones on Jul 26, 2011, 01:31 PM
Quote from: vespachick on Jul 26, 2011, 01:27 PM
I'll take all of the help that I can get.  I need to check into this more, but here is the skinny on their rules for wetsuits:

Wetsuit Rules

◦Wetsuits cannot measure more than 5 mm thick.
◦Wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures between 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit and 28.8 degrees Celsius/ 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperature greater than 28.8 degrees Celsius/ 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit. Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperature greater than 28.8 degrees Celsius/ 83.8 degrees Fahrenheit.
◦Full wetsuits are permitted (arms and legs covered).
◦Prohibited Wetsuit: De Soto Water Rover

I wouldn't really know where to start.  Looking on the internet has only confused me about what suits to look at...

Hm.  I don't know about all that temp rules and regs, that's weird and unfamiliar.

What I can tell you is that you should look toward Quintana Roo wetsuits.  I would recommend wearing one that is sleeveless so your shoulders won't feel as constricted on your stroke as they will with a full sleeve.  I would DEFINITELY swim with the wet suit prior to race day so you can get used to it.  You should check on craigslist for used ones because they can be pricey. (also check for misspelled Quintana Roo, because people frequently post wrong).  Or a "Second TIme Around" thrift. Also, they are tough to get in and out of, so know that going in. This is where non-scented "Pam" comes in. No joke. Spray it on your legs/ankles on race day so you can get it off faster.  Transition area's are a beyotch and when your adrenaline is all running crazy these little things can be very very tricky! (I once made the mistake of butter scented Pam and smelled like popcorn the whole race.  Yuck.)

Another side note: I don't know what sort of water training you might be doing, but practice breathing to the front rather than the side, at least every other breath.  It will help keep you on course.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ALady

I think I'm going to quit my gym.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

jones

Well, I signed up for the Augusta 70.3 last night.  They were very close to selling out so I had to make a decision.  I swam a little over a half a mile in a lake this morning (stopped to rest at a dock twice)and I felt pretty good about it considering it was my first attempt.  I definitely like not having to turn at a wall.  I was alternating between the front crawl and breaststroke and I have a much easier time breathing with the breaststroke.  I'm in the pool this afternoon and back in the lake Friday morning with running/riding in between.  60 days and counting!

Hey vespa, I can get this $300 suit for $169 with an online coupon.  Check it out:

http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/catalog/categories/mens/wetsuits/vortex/vortex-3-sleeveless/

jones

ALady

I never use it.  I take at least 3 classes a week at other places, and I like those better than the ones my gym offers...and since I have to enroll for an 8-week session each time, I actually go   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

jones

Attention marathon runners:

Is anyone familiar with Jeff Galloway's training and race day run/walk methods?  The person that I am training with for Ironman swears by it and she has run 20+ marathons as well as completing the Louisville Ironman last year.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

Opinions?

Penny Lane

Quote from: jones on Aug 02, 2011, 02:03 PM

Is anyone familiar with Jeff Galloway's training and race day run/walk methods?  The person that I am training with for Ironman swears by it and she has run 20+ marathons as well as completing the Louisville Ironman last year.

Opinions?

i had  whole response typed out telling you about flyguy, then i scrolled up and realized..(jeezus lol)

jeff is my dad's hero--he has his autographed poster in the basement..follow any regiment he sets out..

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

jones

Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 02, 2011, 02:12 PM
Quote from: jones on Aug 02, 2011, 02:03 PM

Opinions?

i had  whole response typed out telling you about flyguy, then i scrolled up and realized..(jeezus lol)

jeff is my dad's hero--he has his autographed poster in the basement..follow any regiment he sets out..
I already train with flyguy; he lives on my street and he is wicked fast and strikingly handsome.

I haven't been flying for a while now (still in the avation business, though) and I got bored with the name.  Sorry for all of the confusion!

I think that I'll start using the Galloway method on longer runs (say 8 miles or more) and as I start to increase my distance.  I'm doing my first tri the weekend after next, but it's just a 10k run so I don't know that I'll bother with the run/walk method.  I dunno.  Now the 13.1 I have to run at the end of the half IM, now that's a different story.

mjk73

So if I read this correctly, run for say 4-5 minutes then walk for 35 seconds. Run some more, take a another 35 second walk break. etc etc?

Penny Lane

Quote from: mjk73 on Aug 02, 2011, 02:47 PM
So if I read this correctly, run for say 4-5 minutes then walk for 35 seconds. Run some more, take a another 35 second walk break. etc etc?

different things work for different people, i try to only walk through the water stops during marathons..once i'm walking, it gets hard to start running again...it's a mental thing, too..

edited---talked to my dad tonight--he said that it's pretty common to follow that Galloway strategy for the first Ironman to ensure longevity...and just like your first marathon or anything, the main thing is being able to finish.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjk73

Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 02, 2011, 05:21 PM

different things work for different people, i try to only walk through the water stops during marathons..once i'm walking, it gets hard to start running again...it's a mental thing, too..

edited---talked to my dad tonight--he said that it's pretty common to follow that Galloway strategy for the first Ironman to ensure longevity...and just like your first marathon or anything, the main thing is being able to finish.
I'm with you, once I stop running it's really hard for me to get going again.

jones

Quote from: mjk73 on Aug 03, 2011, 08:39 AM

I'm with you, once I stop running it's really hard for me to get going again.
It definitely breaks up my rhythm.  I may give it a try on Saturday, though.  A few people are doing a mock tri.  We are going to swim 1-2, bike 100, run 10+.  I actually ran 6.2 this morning and I left some Gatorade at my mailbox.  I stopped twice to get a quick drink and I made myself walk for 30-45 seconds each time.  On a shorter run like that I couldn't really tell if there was a benefit or not.  All I could think was: why am I walking??? I would think that this philosophy is more aimed at long runs.

jones

Gotcha.  I will definitely apply this method in Augusta.