The Fitness Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jan 08, 2010, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Iiiiiii wasn't sure where else to post this extremeness

Man (64 years young) paddles himself across the Atlantic, breaking records

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/24051/kayaker+64+completes+marathon+paddle+across+atlantic/
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

debbie

Wow, that's pretty cool.   :o   And yeah, I just finished reading some old posts on this thread, and this does seem to be a good place for adventures of the extreme.  I do work out, but some of you guys are making me feel lazy!
Touch me I'm going to scream.

jones

I have a 65 mile mountain bike race (with 11,000 feet of ascent, thank you very much) on Aril 30th that I am training for.

http://www.newleafadventures.com/big-frog-information.html

I am still getting 3-4 hours in per week, but it's difficult (and boring) with the winter weather.  We moved into a new house so now we actually have a "gym" room.  I have my mountain bike on a trainer and a mat with an excercise ball, Perfect Pushup paddles, and an ab roller thingy.  Yesterday we got a used treadmill (I think that it was an original prototype, but it seems to work okay), as well as a used elliptical.  The last thing that we need is a TV to zone out on to reduce the boredom of indoor excercise.

Bring on Spring.

Old Long Arms

Well, I am a fairly active hiker and road bicyclist, but both activities are seasonal where I live, so I get a little fat during the winter. Two weeks ago I severely broke my ankle(9 pins, 1 plate, non-weight bearing) while hiking, and they say I won't be able to do much hiking this summer. But, at my third PT session they already had my on a exercise bike and they said it's a great tool for my recovery. Hopefully by June I'll be in good enough health to do my first 100mile bicycle tour/race!
My folky little songs:
[url="http://soundcloud.com/tomcadaret/last-summer"]http://soundcloud.com/tomcadaret/last-summer[/url]

TEO

1/2 hour ride started at 4:15 a.m. in the low 20'sF and then 150 push ups...GREAT way to start March!
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Penny Lane

Quote from: dead on Mar 01, 2011, 05:59 AM
1/2 hour ride started at 4:15 a.m. in the low 20'sF and then 150 push ups...GREAT way to start March!

you can do 150 pushups!! jeezus. Nice work!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Hawkeye

Push-ups and pull-ups are not my friends!  Especially pull-ups.  I could probably do 150 push-ups but it would take several sets of 25-ish.

Well, this was supposed to be my year of health.  So far, it's probably been my least healthy year.  Haven't kicked the smoking habit yet...although it's been mostly weekends, none during the week.  Been drinking far too much.  Eating habits have been...meh, ok.  Not terrible, not good.

Anyway, I did an hour and a half of some fairly intense yoga (Yoga X from P90X) the other night and it felt great!  inspired me to get back in the game.  So the next night I bought a Wii fit.  I had a $50 credit at Wal-Mart, so I thought what-the-hell.  I was always reluctant to get one, thinking "I don't need no stinking video game machine motivating me to work out, and even providing my workouts."  Something just seemed wrong about that.  But I thought it might get me at least THINKING about working out.  Maybe if I play 20 mins or so of Wii fit I'll want to go to the garage and hit the punching bag or lift some weights.  Plus, it might get me actually using my Wii again, rather than letting it be really expensive dust collector.  We'll see how it goes.

The only thing I'm not sure I agree on:  The Wii wants me to weigh 157 lbs!  I'm about 5'11" and 185 right now.  I could surely lose 10 or 15 lbs, but 30!  Just seems a little too small, but that would leave me with a "healthy" BMI of 22.  And that is about what I weighed when I played college basketball so...maybe it's reasonable.  I set a goal of averaging 3 lbs of weight loss every 2 weeks...lost 3 in less than a week this week without even trying, but my weight goes up and down pretty frequently, by as much as 7-8 lbs.

Going skiing again this weekend, so that should burn some calories!  (although most will probably be quickly replaced with beer-drinking in the hot tub)
We could.

TEO

Quote from: Penne BruLane on Mar 01, 2011, 09:34 AM
Quote from: dead on Mar 01, 2011, 05:59 AM

you can do 150 pushups!! jeezus. Nice work!

Do them on stairs so it puts me at a 45 degree angle...50,40,30,20,10 descending sets. I want it to be a workout (something I look forward to and enjoy) not work...

TEO

1/2 hour ride no cold hands today and 4 sets of curls...52 gram whey protein drink and handful of supplements. Read last evening where whey protein is also good for veins and arteries so it can subsequently lower blood pressure as well...

mjk73

I guess it's time to come back to dis one. Hopefully running 10-13 tomorrow just for the fuck of it. I say "Hopefully" as Mother Nature is bitch slappin' the area right now and I have been pushing it pretty hard this winter and Planters Faciatis as creeped into my foot. Seeing the Dr tomorrow also, hopefully to get a cortizone shot. Running the Chicago Marathon again this year. Hoping to hammer home a 4:00-4:20 time based on the pace I've been running this winter.

darkglow

cooking chicken 200 different ways with rice with stir fried vegetables mixed with running 2.5 miles 3 times a week... an 8 minute abs video from youtube and sets of pushups.  drinking alot of water and trying to eat 2 square meals a day... late night snack of beer and crackers with expensive cheese.. my mornings are early so i don't really feel the urge to want breakfast.. maybe sometimes a muffin or a biscuit.. lunch is ham/cheese with lettuce and thick cut tomatoes and mayo.. sometimes i'll reward myself with some tater chips... but i think the biggest factor is the amount of water i've been drinking.. i've nearly always got a jar of water on the kitchen counter.

i've lost 21 pounds since Jan 17th.. down to 174 from 195.. gettin dat "hangout fest" beach body and i don't even feel like it's a chore.. listening to good music and running on a nice day outside just seems like a human instinct

mjk73

Quote from: darkglow on Apr 15, 2011, 10:07 PM
cooking chicken 200 different ways with rice with stir fried vegetables mixed with running 2.5 miles 3 times a week... an 8 minute abs video from youtube and sets of pushups.  drinking alot of water and trying to eat 2 square meals a day... late night snack of beer and crackers with expensive cheese.. my mornings are early so i don't really feel the urge to want breakfast.. maybe sometimes a muffin or a biscuit.. lunch is ham/cheese with lettuce and thick cut tomatoes and mayo.. sometimes i'll reward myself with some tater chips... but i think the biggest factor is the amount of water i've been drinking.. i've nearly always got a jar of water on the kitchen counter.

i've lost 21 pounds since Jan 17th.. down to 174 from 195.. gettin dat "hangout fest" beach body and i don't even feel like it's a chore.. listening to good music and running on a nice day outside just seems like a human instinct
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep it up. Water is essential. Anywhere from 64-100 ounces is what you need. Went from about 250-260 to 175 10 years ago and it;'s still off (obscene amounts of miles helps)

Ruckus

Quote from: Darklands on Apr 15, 2011, 06:41 PM
I guess it's time to come back to dis one. Hopefully running 10-13 tomorrow just for the fuck of it. I say "Hopefully" as Mother Nature is bitch slappin' the area right now and I have been pushing it pretty hard this winter and Planters Faciatis as creeped into my foot. Seeing the Dr tomorrow also, hopefully to get a cortizone shot. Running the Chicago Marathon again this year. Hoping to hammer home a 4:00-4:20 time based on the pace I've been running this winter.
You talk like a badass for a yogger! ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

mjk73

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 16, 2011, 03:35 PM
Cuz I is a bad ass. 'cept I don't feel like a BAMF right now. Stupid foot and now a pulled muscle in my neck.

jones

lil sis

Quote from: Darklands on Apr 16, 2011, 04:52 PM
Cuz I is a bad ass. 'cept I don't feel like a BAMF right now. Stupid foot and now a pulled muscle in my neck.
Plantar fasciitis is a bitch!  I had a problem with that last summer for a bit.  I literally could not walk on my foot for a few days and then there was just constant pain.  If you're on your feets a lot like me just make sure you're wearing good shoes and nothing flat.  Feel better!
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

mjk73

Quote from: lil sis on Apr 17, 2011, 09:59 PM
Quote from: Darklands on Apr 16, 2011, 04:52 PM
Plantar fasciitis is a bitch!  I had a problem with that last summer for a bit.  I literally could not walk on my foot for a few days and then there was just constant pain.  If you're on your feets a lot like me just make sure you're wearing good shoes and nothing flat.  Feel better!
This damn thing hurts worse then when I tore my meniscus. Making a follow up appointment to make sure there isn't any damge and to get a cort shot.

MMJ_fanatic

I mostly pick things up and put them down, but recently tried a TRX class (the suspension straps) and it was pretty killer  :o
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

walterfredo

A good friend just finished the Boston marathon in 2:29:33, 87th overall out of about 27K runners. That's just insane.

jones

Wow, that is awesome fredo.  How's that Felt road bike holding up?  I put a Cannondale CAAD 10 Rival on layaway a couple of weeks ago.  I hope to start riding to work a couple of days a week.  It's tough to get to a trail more than once a week around here due to distance, so I decided to become a roadie, too.  :embarassed: