The Fitness Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jan 08, 2010, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

I'm absolutely loving my Felt. I've been riding 3-4 times per week, between 15-35 miles per ride. Just getting back into shape, but really looking forward to busting out some longer rides.

jones

That's great that you're able to ride with that kind of frequency.  I really bought (am buying) mine as a trainer for mountain biking, but I think that I'll like it.  My first time on a road bike was about 3 weeks ago and I got 60 in on a VERY WINDY day.  I will be able to get 45 in round trip once I start riding to work. 

The only thing that I don't like: CARS

I mapped out a route to and from work that is 95% rural roads and I bought a Road ID.

TEO

threw another loop in my route...gots it back so it is hard to walk as soon as I get off of my bike... :D
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

jones

Quote from: dead on Apr 18, 2011, 07:59 PM
threw another loop in my route...gots it back so it is hard to walk as soon as I get off of my bike... :D
:thumbsup: Pain is weakness leaving the body.

walterfredo

The DARK

Murdered myself on the 1.5 mile today... Jesus I'm out of shape.
In another time, in another place, in another face

mjk73

Damn, that's a crazy good time for a full WalterF. Your friend is a baller

ALady

Quote from: Darklands on Apr 17, 2011, 10:33 PM
This damn thing hurts worse then when I tore my meniscus. Making a follow up appointment to make sure there isn't any damge and to get a cort shot.

I had a recurring plantar fasciitis issue a few years back and my best friend (who's a PT) had me stretching and icing it a lot.  And I wore these shoes for a while, which, though exceedingly ugly, provided a lot of stabilization that helped it heal:

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ezrida

Hi
I have plantar fasciitis myself for a few months now. My podiatrist prescribed me with Custom made orthotics which did not work at all. I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it will not always work for the other.
I have found Taping very useful. Taping helps to relieve the pain, keeps your foot from getting injured again and helps you get through your daily routine and exercises. There is a good web-page explaining the subject in this informative website - http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_taping.html
Take care & Good luck

mjk73

Just suffering through it for now. Taking it easy when I can, stretching and icing when I can. It didn't bug me too much yesterday and it only bothered me today when I was standing in 1 spot for a bit. Thanks for the link, I'm going to see if this will work for me especially when it gets real bad.

Started out just intending to do 6 yesterday, but the rain had stopped briefly and the sun sort of came out. It got warm and humid so I did 10 and maintained an 8:11 pace....which for a short, old yogger like me is a great pace. 167 days and counting till Chicago.

mjk73

Another Saturday 10 miler. Not happy with my time however. 9 min/mile pace which is about 30 seconds per mile slower then what I've been holding. I guess I should be happy with it considering its 40 degrees cooler then it's been this week, its windy, its rainy, and it was a little slick out.

lil sis

In addition to my 3x/week kickboxing, I started to lift and do HIIT on the treadmill 3x/week.  I have developed shin splints for the first time in my life.  I'm thinking that it's a combo of not having the right shoes and trying to do too much too soon with the sprinting.

Any female runners here that can recommend a good pair of running sneakers?  Also, how long should I wait before attempted to do the HIIT workout again?  I have not done cardio for 4 days now.  Starting to go a little crazy here.
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

the_wizzard

lil' sis I have a pair of the New Balance Pro Grid Ride 3 and love them!  They are neutrals and serve me well.

I had been jogging ~3 times a week to get back into shape after quitting smoking.  But I wasn't seeing or feeling the results I want.  So I signed up for this fitness class at a place called Recreate Fitness here in P-town.  Oh man do I hurt today after my second class last night!  Feel the burn is right!  At one point yesterday, I almost cried  :-\ damn I am out of shape!  But it is a very supportive environment, they play awesome tunes and everyone works together in a circuit type training environment.  I dig it, it hurts so good...

mjk73

For 2012, I do not think I will be doing a full marathon, HOWEVER I will be doing 1 each of these. Fire, mud, dirty water, barbed wire, and electical probes: FUCK YEAH! I needs to make sure I do well this year in Chicago, kinda go out with a bang

http://warriordash.com/

http://toughmudder.com/

Penny Lane

Quote from: Darklands on May 25, 2011, 09:44 AM
For 2012, I do not think I will be doing a full marathon, HOWEVER I will be doing 1 each of these. Fire, mud, dirty water, barbed wire, and electical probes: FUCK YEAH! I needs to make sure I do well this year in Chicago, kinda go out with a bang

that's awesome! i've been wanting to check these out. i have a friend who does them, it looks insane.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjk73

Quote from: Penny Lane on May 25, 2011, 10:14 AM
Quote from: Darklands on May 25, 2011, 09:44 AM

that's awesome! i've been wanting to check these out. i have a friend who does them, it looks insane.
Thankfully there is a Warrior Dash that's local so that one should present any logistical issues. The ough mudder I'd do is in the Dells. May have to borrow the in laws time share then.

lil sis

Quote from: the_wizzard on May 21, 2011, 01:17 PM
lil' sis I have a pair of the New Balance Pro Grid Ride 3 and love them!  They are neutrals and serve me well.

I had been jogging ~3 times a week to get back into shape after quitting smoking.  But I wasn't seeing or feeling the results I want.  So I signed up for this fitness class at a place called Recreate Fitness here in P-town.  Oh man do I hurt today after my second class last night!  Feel the burn is right!  At one point yesterday, I almost cried  :-\ damn I am out of shape!  But it is a very supportive environment, they play awesome tunes and everyone works together in a circuit type training environment.  I dig it, it hurts so good...
Thanks wizzard!  :)  I think I was just overloading on cardio so I've calmed down a bit on that.

Congrats on quitting smoking!  :beer:
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

mjk73

"Officially" started my marathon training program this morning. I say "officially" as I didn't really slack off this winter or spring as I was able to maintain 10-13 mile runs on the weekends. Only 2 concerns, my foot is still kicking my ass and my pace has taken a hit recently. Have another follow up appoinment after my vaction. My pace went from about 8:20 average to 9 the last few weeks. Not sure why either. I can't really blame my foot as it feels fine when it's warmed up.

tdb810

Quote from: mjk73 on Jun 13, 2011, 08:56 AM
"Officially" started my marathon training program this morning. I say "officially" as I didn't really slack off this winter or spring as I was able to maintain 10-13 mile runs on the weekends. Only 2 concerns, my foot is still kicking my ass and my pace has taken a hit recently. Have another follow up appoinment after my vaction. My pace went from about 8:20 average to 9 the last few weeks. Not sure why either. I can't really blame my foot as it feels fine when it's warmed up.
hope the foot feels better and good luck with the training!  and shoot, 9 min miles sound pretty dandy to an old gal like me.   :D
.....Back at the Model Home

Crispy

Quote from: mjk73 on Jun 13, 2011, 08:56 AM

Me too, man, I'm well on my way -- 2.6 miles this morning.  ;D

Good luck and keep it up!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"