Save Ear-X-Tacy

Started by ericwindmill, Nov 17, 2010, 12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Everyone in Louisville knows how special of a record store Ear-X-Tacy is. It recently moved locations but still cant seem to stay alive. Rolling Stone rated ear-x-tacy # 4 record store in the country. Don't let it die! Pass the message on! Buy from them!

The Steam Engine has a post about it including a video by the owner.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Hawkeye

Man, that's awful.  Record stores are the bomb.  There aren't many around these parts.  Wish I lived near enough to walk in.  Don't know much about Ear-X-Tacy other than the name...can you order from them on-line?  I'll have to check that out.
We could.

tdb810

Just made my purchase via their online record store.  

Sweet, hope it helps!

http://www.buymusichere.net/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=11&deptnr=1
.....Back at the Model Home

e_wind

Ear x Tacy has been closed for 3 days, and hasn't yet explained why. There is an official statement today. If they remain open at all, I encourage folks to buy music from there rather than amazon and maybe so holiday shopping there as well. It will be a really sad day for Louisvilles music scene if this place closes.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 31, 2011, 01:10 PM
Ear x Tacy has been closed for 3 days, and hasn't yet explained why. There is an official statement today. If they remain open at all, I encourage folks to buy music from there rather than amazon and maybe so holiday shopping there as well. It will be a really sad day for Louisvilles music scene if this place closes.

Record stores, video stores, bookstores, photomats, are all on their way out. Only romantic purists will keep them going for a while longer, but they're all eventually toast, IMO.

I miss the days of going to the record store or waiting for a new album to be released.  :'(

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 31, 2011, 02:02 PM

Record stores, video stores, bookstores, photomats, are all on their way out. Only romantic purists will keep them going for a while longer, but they're all eventually toast, IMO.

I miss the days of going to the record store or waiting for a new album to be released.  :'(

Vinyl sales have been up in the past few years, that's the only thing to be hopeful about. I was lucky enough to see the store a few times, what a great place. Maybe MMJ could do a massive hometown Save EarXtacy impromptu NYE show...or save EarXtacy Festival... Call it SEX FEST (get it?--acronym people!)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Taterbug

Jim should just buy it.  Call it " My Morning Album Jacket"
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

bowl of soup

Right on.  I miss the 3 hour sessions of digging through the bins hoping to find some obscure European Pixie recording hoping all the while that the good-looking, all black clad girl behind the counter will ask you about the up-coming Blue Mountain show at the bar down the street.  She never asked, but I got some sweet French Pixie cd singles.

Technology is replacing everything and while it's pretty cool to have my world in my pocket - I'm not so sure it's a good thing.  Good luck Ear x tacy and everyone else for that matter.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

subinai

announcement made: https://www.facebook.com/#!/earxtacyrecords

:(

headhunter

This is so very very sad.  Thank you John Timmons for keeping the music alive for so long.

Time to go watch High Fidelity and celebrate the beauty and vanishing breed of the local independent record store.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

mjk73

Quote from: bowl of soup on Oct 31, 2011, 03:16 PM

Right on.  I miss the 3 hour sessions of digging through the bins hoping to find some obscure European Pixie recording hoping all the while that the good-looking, all black clad girl behind the counter will ask you about the up-coming Blue Mountain show at the bar down the street.  She never asked, but I got some sweet French Pixie cd singles.

Technology is replacing everything and while it's pretty cool to have my world in my pocket - I'm not so sure it's a good thing.  Good luck Ear x tacy and everyone else for that matter.
It's good and bad. Mostly bad. I had the guts to ask that good looking all black glad girl who worked behind the counter out. The look I got will stay with me forever. It was like I was a nun with a dildo in my hand in her eyes. Priceless

el_chode

It's strange to think my kids may never know the feeling of walking in to a record store with a $20 budget and walking out with over $60 of music because they couldn't stop flipping through albums
I'm surrounded by assholes

bowl of soup

Quote from: mjk73 on Oct 31, 2011, 07:42 PM

It's good and bad. Mostly bad. I had the guts to ask that good looking all black glad girl who worked behind the counter out. The look I got will stay with me forever. It was like I was a nun with a dildo in my hand in her eyes. Priceless

I always prefered the mystery of not knowing, perhaps the truth of not knowing. You do know that the jacket is in Orlando in December, no? Kids like Orlando, big kids like jacket.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

headhunter

jim's statement on the homepage this morning is poignant and a sad reminder of all we are loosing.  there are few commercial places i enjoy walking into more than my local record store.  been this way since i was a teenager and hope i can do this until i can't do much of anything.

losing ear-x-tacy, or any local record store, or small independent book store is a truly sad event. like losing another animal on the endangered species list.  as the saying goes, sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: headhunter on Nov 01, 2011, 08:54 AM
jim's statement on the homepage this morning is poignant and a sad reminder of all we are loosing.  there are few commercial places i enjoy walking into more than my local record store.  been this way since i was a teenager and hope i can do this until i can't do much of anything.

losing ear-x-tacy, or any local record store, or small independent book store is a truly sad event. like losing another animal on the endangered species list.  as the saying goes, sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Jim's statement is a bit hypocritical considering MMJ has offered several songs as web download only. I understand he tried to help save the store, but on the other hand they were undermining it. It's just the way it is.

Every generation talks about the good ol days; it just happens. We used to wait...we don't have to wait anymore.  :-\
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

headhunter

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 01, 2011, 09:49 AM

Jim's statement is a bit hypocritical considering MMJ has offered several songs as web download only. I understand he tried to help save the store, but on the other hand they were undermining it. It's just the way it is.

Every generation talks about the good ol days; it just happens. We used to wait...we don't have to wait anymore.  :-\

Huh?  How was it hypocritical?  Free downloads of songs that are not otherwise for sale (ie, live recordings from the shows at T5) are not undermining anyone's business.  They do more to stroke interest in a band.

MMJ played free shows and benefits for Ear and did in store signings.   Also, they did Celebración de la Ciudad Natal (Spanish: Hometown Celebration)  initially released exclusively for Record Store Day and sold only in  independent retail stores. The audio was taken from concerts held at  Ear-X-Tacy and at Waterfront Park.

MMJ didn't undermine  Ear or any other independent record stores.  They were always supporters.

mjk73

Quote from: bowl of soup on Oct 31, 2011, 11:53 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Oct 31, 2011, 07:42 PM

I always prefered the mystery of not knowing, perhaps the truth of not knowing. You do know that the jacket is in Orlando in December, no? Kids like Orlando, big kids like jacket.
I so wish that could happen. it's been a whole 2 years since the last trip to see a man about a mouse. Plans are in the works for Jan 2013 but that's more just for me and so I can do the Goofy Challange (both the half and full marathons) because I apparently do not have enough challanges in my life.

e_wind

Quote from: headhunter on Nov 01, 2011, 10:44 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 01, 2011, 09:49 AM

Huh?  How was it hypocritical?  Free downloads of songs that are not otherwise for sale (ie, live recordings from the shows at T5) are not undermining anyone's business.  They do more to stroke interest in a band.

MMJ played free shows and benefits for Ear and did in store signings.   Also, they did Celebración de la Ciudad Natal (Spanish: Hometown Celebration)  initially released exclusively for Record Store Day and sold only in  independent retail stores. The audio was taken from concerts held at  Ear-X-Tacy and at Waterfront Park.

MMJ didn't undermine  Ear or any other independent record stores.  They were always supporters.

Not to mention Circuital single sold only in two record stores on Earth. And Ear X Travaganza. And YY solo shows selling tickets exclusively at EXT. the only thing MMJ has done that isn't available at EXT in some shape is iTunes Live at the Palms.

Hell they made a DVD that came with the delux box set that had a major focus on EXT and featured Timmons.

This sucks for Louisville. No more Record Store Day, exclusive tickets to MMJ/YY shows, or new vinyl period in Louisville. Only a select few stores have small vinyl selections around here now.

Penny Lane

Yeah I wondered what the several songs for DL only were?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

jones

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 01, 2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah I wondered what the several songs for DL only were?
Octoplasm is the only song that I can think of that I paid money for that was only available as a download.