the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

Quote'2nd best looking man that ever lived'

if george is only no. 2, who is no.1???
I'd bet my life Db was going with Mr. Elvis Presley.  Gotta vote for his dad over George right?

ali

love a song for the way it makes you feel

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Chills

Re-reading some parts of American Psycho.
Especially that one where Patrick and his friends go to see U2. So sad yet hilarious.

EC

i'm reading Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger for the 149th time (approx.)
i'm revisiting old favourites these days, it seems.
it still totally does it for me.
it makes me do my own verz of praying.
it's good for angsty people, but not when you're feeling too angsty - i think it might fuck you up.

mjkoehler

Only 34 days left!!! Yeah it's not "high"/sophisticated literature but the whole series is really good. Sorry I'm a 34 year old dork. oh and these really are not "kids" books for those who have not read them.

Jenny

just started fist, stick, knife, gun by geoffrey canada

so far it's just "eh" after reading honky by dalton conely. similar story ('bout growing up in South Bronx...) but a lot better written.

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteGreat job Fanatic, now on one needs to bother reading the book or seeing the movie  :-/

Dearest Andrew,
I humbly apologize for being A #1 spoiler  :-[
Sincerely,Erik  [smiley=evil.gif]
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Chills

QuoteLast one was No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy.  I can't recommend it highly  enough.
Picked that up from the library this afternoon, can't wait to start it.

How did you find it, Red?  

I have just finished The Road, also by Cormac McCarthy.  What a fantastic book - I started it yesterday afternoon, had to go out for the evening, but finished it on my return.  It's both claustrophobic and harrowing, but the sparcity of his prose (particularly the rendition of conversation) draws you along.

I've got to read some more McCarthy.  These two books are mesmerising.

Just read No Country For Old Men. It was pretty good, although a little bit "dry", if you get what I mean.

Right now halfway through Ian McEwan's On Chesil Beach. Excellent so far.

MarkW

QuoteLast one was No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy.  I can't recommend it highly  enough.

I have just finished The Road, also by Cormac McCarthy.  What a fantastic book - I started it yesterday afternoon, had to go out for the evening, but finished it on my return.  It's both claustrophobic and harrowing, but the sparcity of his prose (particularly the rendition of conversation) draws you along.

Just read No Country For Old Men. It was pretty good, although a little bit "dry", if you get what I mean.

I get you.  I quite like "dry" though, every now and again.  The Road is even bleaker, so steer clear unless you're in the mood.

I'm re-reading Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.  Great book, lovely setting.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

ManNamedTruth

I get you.  I quite like "dry" though, every now and again.  The Road is even bleaker, so steer clear unless you're in the mood.

I'm re-reading Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.  Great book, lovely setting.
Maybe I should read the book before the movie comes out? It looks like a return to their more darker movies.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ali

stalin's ghost - martin cruz smith

if anyone likes crime novels i really can't recommend m.c.s highly enough - particularly the arkady renko series of novels, they are my favourite set of books. if you're into recent russian history, and i guess late- and post-Cold War politics, these are great books.
love a song for the way it makes you feel

candyass

i just finished reading me talk pretty one day by david sedaris. it is hilarious. it is realistic fiction, so it is basicaly essays about his life. i would recommend it to anyone.

LizKing531

Just finished Vox Clementis (sp?)  (A voice crying in the wilderness) by Edward Abbey

Also just started Confessions of a Barbarian  also by Abbey

All I gotta say is, if you haven't read Abbey, by all means check 'em out  (Desert Solitaire and Monkey Wrench Gang are his 2 most popular works)

For a cheap-ass summary, it makes me think about if Thoreau and Hunter S. Thompson were to breed - the product of that combo would be Abbey

dragonboy

QuoteDearest Andrew,
I humbly apologize for being A #1 spoiler  :-[
Sincerely,Erik  [smiley=evil.gif]
Haha, no worries Erik  :)
Did you see the trailer? http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount_vantage/intothewild/

Speaking of movie adaptations, Kite Runner opens this fall:
http://www.kiterunnermovie.com/
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

megisnotreal

having finished the stranger, i am rereading lolita. i love this novel. nabokov's style of writing is so hypnotic.

tomEisenbraun

I've just read Franny and Zoey by Salinger.

I'm currently working on:

The Birth of a New Physics by I. Bernard Hubbard
Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen, and
Einstein's Theory of Relativity (I've been hung up for awhile in dire need of a math tutor to help carry me through it)

I've got a crap-ton waiting after that one, too. More physics stuff, Mein Kampf, The Communist Manifesto, Plato's The Republic. It's been an ambitious year with books, but I want to know as much as a can--the proper end of knowledge being wisdom, that's what I'm seeking. From both knowing what I'm talking about to actually understanding it for myself so that I can keep searching deeper. I'm on a quest, I'm not sure where it started, and sure as hell don't know where it's taking me, but I'm on it because I want to know the elusive Answer.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

knotcameloose

QuoteJust finished Vox Clementis (sp?)  (A voice crying in the wilderness) by Edward Abbey

Also just started Confessions of a Barbarian  also by Abbey

All I gotta say is, if you haven't read Abbey, by all means check 'em out  (Desert Solitaire and Monkey Wrench Gang are his 2 most popular works)

For a cheap-ass summary, it makes me think about if Thoreau and Hunter S. Thompson were to breed - the product of that combo would be Abbey

That's pretty funny.
Monkeywrench was a great book.

mjkoehler

5 hours, 20 minutes and counting.

Sleazy Rider

Just finished IV by Chuck Klosterman and Junky by William S Burroughs, both were great books obviously very different from each other.

I'm now working on Haunted by Chuck Pahlianuk and Indian Killer by Sherman Alexie
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.