the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleazy Rider

I just got No Country For Old Men today and I'm already loving it, looking forward to starting The Road after that. I read an article where he said the idea came to him while his son was asleep next to him on a late night road trip and he started thinking about the world we are leaving are kids with. I'm intrigued.
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

Jenny

where i'm calling from (selected short stories) - raymond carver
my favorite's cathedral.
anyone got some free time, it's worth the read; http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/cinichol/GovSchool/Cathedral2.htm

thatswhatshesaid

i just picked up steven colbert's book: i am american and so can you. so far it is great!

Taterbug

Quotei just picked up steven colbert's book: i am american and so can you. so far it is great!

Colbert Is the greatest.
I'm currently reading Mr. B. Gone by Clive Barker.
I have read most  of his books and I  had a real problem following a couple of them, but this book is pretty easy to follow the characters ( not as many of them ) and keeping me captivated also. I would recommend it to anyone who likes his stuff.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

MarkW

Finished Black Swan Green by David Mitchell.  It's about a 13 year old boy in 1982 Britain (which fits me exactly).  He captures perfectly the experience and emotions of adolescence in Thatcher-era England.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Chills

QuoteFinished Black Swan Green by David Mitchell.  It's about a 13 year old boy in 1982 Britain (which fits me exactly).  He captures perfectly the experience and emotions of adolescence in Thatcher-era England.

Just finished Number 9 Dream which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Got Black Swan Green lined up. After that one it will be a long wait until 2009...

"Mitchell's next book will be an historical novel about Dejima, the man-made island in the middle of Nagasaki Harbour that was built to house Dutch traders in the 17th century. Having just finished five months of research in the Netherlands, Mitchell says that the biggest challenge will be what to omit from this complex story."

Ah, more complexities to come, that is reassuring  :)  

fitzcarraldo

Quotelooking forward to starting The Road after that. I read an article where he said the idea came to him while his son was asleep next to him on a late night road trip and he started thinking about the world we are leaving are kids with. I'm intrigued.

That book is gonna kick your ass bro.

Dry by Augusten Burroughs.  Very good...funny, sad & revelatory for me.

MarkW

Wouldn't it be great if he wrote a Jeffrey Archer or Scott Turow novel by mistake?

I've just started Cash: The Autobiography.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

LizKing531

QuoteI just got No Country For Old Men today and I'm already loving it, looking forward to starting The Road after that. I read an article where he said the idea came to him while his son was asleep next to him on a late night road trip and he started thinking about the world we are leaving are kids with. I'm intrigued.

I've been reading some Michael Pollan ("Botany of Desire" - he's way into researching where are food really comes from & how it got there) - between that & reading some of the Dalai Lama's stuff, its been getting me thinking about the world we got from the generations before us & what it all means into the future.  I wonder what the world's gonna be like for my kid's kids.

Chills

Wouldn't it be great if he wrote a Jeffrey Archer or Scott Turow novel by mistake?

I had to research those names on Wikipedia  :D

Loved this quote...
"His books are also rumoured to require extensive editing by others to make them readable"

vespachick

I just picked up "This is Your Brain on Music - The Science of a Human Obsession" by Daniel J. Levitin.  It looks pretty interesting, picked it up purely because of the title, and I guess it's also a NYT Bestseller.  Anyone else read it? I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are if so.  
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

pawpaw

Yesterday I started "Sacred Games" by Vikram Chandra. I'd heard about its release about a year ago, and was excited to read it after being really impressed by "Red Earth and Pouring Rain", but it kind of dropped off my radar for awhile for some reason. Saw it in a bookstore yesterday, finally out in paperback, so I picked up a copy. I'm excited to get into it.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

EC

right now i am re-reading all of my old calvin and hobbes comic collections. :)

dragonboy

Quoteright now i am re-reading all of my old calvin and hobbes comic collections. :)
I have all of the Calvin & Hobbes books in a box in the attic. I get them out from time to time & they never fail to make smile.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ycartrob

Quoteright now i am re-reading all of my old calvin and hobbes comic collections. :)
I have all of the Calvin & Hobbes books in a box in the attic. I get them out from time to time & they never fail to make smile.

this is what you guys can get me for Christmas

http://www.andrewsmcmeel.com/products/?isbn=0740748475

TheBigChicken

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson..got ot yesterday and almost done..one of you guys can have it when I'm done if you want
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

red

Went to the used book store and bought Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude, then to the library where I picked up Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis.  I'm just starting (and hopefully finishing very shortly) Breakfast at Tiffany's.  

TheBigChicken

the Metamorphosis is a pretty wild story :)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

MarkW

QuoteWent to the used book store and bought Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude, then to the library where I picked up Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis.  I'm just starting (and hopefully finishing very shortly) Breakfast at Tiffany's.  

One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of my all-time favourites (in both English and Spanish, although the latter took some serious concentration).  I'd really like to know what you think of it...

Just picked up Iain M Banks' latest - Matter.  I like him a lot.

Chills

QuoteWent to the used book store and bought Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude, then to the library where I picked up Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis.  I'm just starting (and hopefully finishing very shortly) Breakfast at Tiffany's.  

One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of my all-time favourites (in both English and Spanish, although the latter took some serious concentration).

Wow, kudos for reading that great book in Spanish. I've been telling myself to learn the language for a while now. Someday!