the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

QuoteI love Tom Robbins too, have you read "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues"?

did. i. ever.
that one changed my life. :)

Gripe

Quotei'm reading tom robbins still life with woodpecker.

i want to marry tom robbins.

In that case,  I have a feeling you'd like Skinny Legs And All (unless you've read it already -- actually, it's just as good the second time around, so scrap that).  I don't think it features  quite as many redheads, but some light is shined upon the secret lives of such supposedly inanimate objects as a painted stick, a conch shell and a can o' beans. It's fantastic.

Drunkre

by the way, has anyone read House of Leaves? It was probably one of the eeriest things I've ever read. They'll probably make a horrible, B movie out of it and cast Jessica Alba and Rihanna. Maybe Paul Walker as well. I hope not, though.

I've read it.  It was really good, while I was reading it.  Although I'll admit to skipping a couple of sections dealing with Johnny and his mom.  I just found that after a few months, the book lost the luster in my mind that made it seem so...something.

As for a sheeahtay movie based on the book.  The author has refused to sell the rights numerous times, and has responded in interviews very negatively to even the idea of a movie version.
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

EC

In that case,  I have a feeling you'd like Skinny Legs And All (unless you've read it already -- actually, it's just as good the second time around, so scrap that).  I don't think it features  quite as many redheads, but some light is shined upon the secret lives of such supposedly inanimate objects as a painted stick, a conch shell and a can o' beans. It's fantastic.

thanks, gripe.  i'm planning on "another roadside attraction", and then i was figuring "skinny legs an all".

i'm pretty certain that even the worst of the tom robbins would still make me want to marry him.

fitzcarraldo

What is it with you women and Tom Robbins?!   ;D

Currently reading Paddy Whacked, this really good book about the history of the Irish mob in America:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060590025/sr=1-1/qid=1155155066/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-7402226-5304643?ie=UTF8&s=books

dragonboy

Finally finished The Kite Runner, what a great, great book.
I agree that it trails towards the end & loses some of it's impact but it's still an excellent read.
I see they're making a movie...

Anyone read The Time Travelers Wife? My wife bought it for me but i've read both good & bad.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

megisnotreal

just finished elizabeth wurztel's modern-day feminist manifesto bitch.

i've decided to reread peter ackroyd's the plato papers. i had to read it last semester, and i loved it then. i'm hoping a second, non-assigned reading will further enhance my appreciation.

seriously. read the plato papers.

EC

ha!  just reading my last post there, ms. shelby brought in "another roadside attraction" to me this morning and i'm starting it today.  how coincidental.

i finished "a complicated kindness" a couple of weeks ago.  it's a WONDERFUL book.  and then i read "the great gatsby", which i hadn't read before.  i'm not sure how i feel about it.  i didn't hate it ... maybe i was too unfocused to be paying too much attention to it or somethin'.

p.s.  sean - tom robbins writes about women in a way that makes us feel special, that's why. :)

megisnotreal

Quoteand then i read "the great gatsby", which i hadn't read before.

the last three paragraphs of this book are the literary equivalent of a poignant punch in the face. i love this book. i also liked this side of paradise.

if you're interested, f. scott's wife zelda wrote some pretty amazing short stories, too.

FarmerYoda

pedigogy of the oppressed

EC

Quotepedigogy of the oppressed

that is the perfect thing to read in highschool.  
unless teachers are teaching it to you, which might be more ironic than anything...

FarmerYoda

Quotepedigogy of the oppressed

that is the perfect thing to read in highschool.  
unless teachers are teaching it to you, which might be more ironic than anything...
oh, no, the teachers're on our side...
in any case, i just started "A Celestial Omnibus: Short Fiction on Faith" with my new spirituality class...

quite good, sof ar

fitzcarraldo

Gotcha EC!   :) Cool. I've had a few girlfriends who own a few of his books and am currently reading Skinny Legs And All. I likey.  Just finished David Foster Wallace's A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. It's a bunch of essays including one being on the set of David Lynch's Lost Highway. A good read.

I propose this thread to be stickied.

EC

QuoteGotcha EC!   :) Cool. I've had a few girlfriends who own a few of his books and am currently reading Skinny Legs And All. I likey.  Just finished David Foster Wallace's A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. It's a bunch of essays including one being on the set of David Lynch's Lost Highway. A good read.

I propose this thread to be stickied.

I second that proposition.  Books are good. :)

Oh that Tom Robbins.  He's all about sex and relaxing and living your life crazy-style.  He seems to like peyote a lot, too...  

MMJ_fanatic

Culture Warrior by Bill O'Rielly--spot on analysis of the current state of the US (as well as other parts of the planet)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Mr. T.

The Temptation of Paris by Ross King.

It's about the birth of the Impressionist movement around 1860-1870 in France. Very well written, and it has pictures! I love books with pictures  ;)
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

Chills

Bump

Besides wathing the snooker championships, is there still time for books?
Yes, at least a little  :)

Just read Jonathan Safran Foer - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
Touching stuff. Quite a talented guy!

Oh, and thanks to Mr T. for Philip Roth's Everyman. That's the way I like my gifts: Sober, contemplative meditations on life, sickness and death  ;)

Before that (quite a long while back) Underworld by Don DeLillo, which I can't recommend enough, for those with a little time on their hands. What a majestic piece of art. Beyond my imagination how one man can construct something like that. Congrats Don  :D

Other readers?

red

Ugh, I haven't read a book in months!   :(  

The last was probably This Side of Paradise by Fitzgerald - loved it!

MarkW

Last one was No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy.  I can't recommend it highly  enough.

Now reading the Book of Dave by Will Self.  Not so sure, but hey ho.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

ManNamedTruth

With the death of Vonnegut, I wanted to get back to reading (his books in particular). Just finished Bluebeard and was thinking of bumping this thread myself. Next is Slaughterhouse-5.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!