the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DejaView2011

Quote from: buaawwww on May 24, 2011, 02:00 PM
I'll be as about as diverse as it gets.  My last 3 books:

- Stephen King "The Stand" unadbriged vers. - I think I'm the only person on the planet that has not read this book.  Was absolutely incredible.

- Vincent Bugliosi "Helter Skelter" - I have a morbid fascination with the Manson murders and finally read this.  I'm just about done.  One of the scariest things I have ever read, mostly because it's all true.

and next in line...

- Redemption Song: The Ballad of Joe Strummer - because Joe Strummer is very much missed...
Good choices!!! Love "The Stand" (but Robert McCammon's post apocalyptic "Swan Song" is a bit better and stands as my favorite book of all time.) And Helter Skelter is FANTASTIC! If you enjoy HS, you may like "Killer Clown" the John Wayne Gacy story written by the detective that was persistent and nabbed him. Very engrossing.
    Haven't seen Redemtion Song yet, but I love music auto-biographies. Motley Crue "The Dirt" stands out as one of the funniest and most heartbreaking at times bios I've ever read. Marylin Manson "Long road out of hell" is entertaining as well.
                    Rock & Roll at it's filthiest.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?

ALady

Read these in the past couple months:

Really detailed, cold, hard retelling of a grim life in the spotlight. Sequins, tattered furs and seriously outlandish dysfunction. And my burlesque teacher got a shout out in the acknowledgments, which is kinda cool  :)

Just lovely and heartbreaking.  I didn't want it to end.

Finishing up this:

Fascinating.  I do love biographies.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

DejaView2011

Quote from: ALady on May 25, 2011, 06:17 PM
Read these in the past couple months:

Really detailed, cold, hard retelling of a grim life in the spotlight. Sequins, tattered furs and seriously outlandish dysfunction. And my burlesque teacher got a shout out in the acknowledgments, which is kinda cool  :)

Just lovely and heartbreaking.  I didn't want it to end.

Finishing up this:

Fascinating.  I do love biographies.
How is the Keith Richards Bio??? I've been eyeing it for weeks now.

ALady

I'm really enjoying it so far.  If you're a Stones fan at all, I think you'd dig it - it's got some really cool insight into the making of their records - everything from how they came up with specific songs, to how they came to collaborate with different folks, where and how they recorded things, etc etc.  And it sheds some light in the interplay between the different personalities in the band and their relationships.

And there's a lot of drugs.  Lots and lots of drugs.   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

DejaView2011

Quote from: ALady on May 25, 2011, 06:24 PM
I'm really enjoying it so far.  If you're a Stones fan at all, I think you'd dig it - it's got some really cool insight into the making of their records - everything from how they came up with specific songs, to how they came to collaborate with different folks, where and how they recorded things, etc etc.  And it sheds some light in the interplay between the different personalities in the band and their relationships.

And there's a lot of drugs.  Lots and lots of drugs.   ;D
Thanks ALady. I'm putting that at the top of the list as the next book I read. Which I hope will be soon, but looks like it won't be until after Bonaroo. OH THE MADNESS!  :D

wolof7

Half way into this one

starting this one

continuing this one:

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

touchingmept2

I've read the first one for a history class. pretty interesting stuff in that book. I'm pretty sure the cover of Evil Urges was inspired by the World Fair studied in this book.    [ :) :)quote author=wolof7 link=topic=12532.msg262806#msg262806 date=1308189127]
Half way into this one

starting this one

continuing this one:

[/quote]
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

mahg33ta

I read this yesterday.   Easy, short book to plow through in one sitting (I read on a 3 hr flight) but wow, powerful stuff.

MMJ_fanatic

Currently reading:  The Obama Nation: Leftist Politics and the Cult of Personality   by Jerome Corsi PHD.  Corsi is a Harvard educated Political Scientist with many interesting reads to his credit.  I recommend everyone read it.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

tdb810

The Scarlet Letter

love going back to classics that i read as a kid, but barely understood :)
.....Back at the Model Home

pawpaw

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. It's outstanding, probably the best book I've read in the past year and a half.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

lucylew

Almost finished with "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer.  Interestingly (or not!) I picked it up last week in Salt Lake City.  I didn't think too much about it as I love Jon Krakauer, but got a few odd looks reading it at the airport whilst waiting for the plane.

wolof7

Quote from: lucylew on Jun 16, 2011, 10:56 PM
Almost finished with "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer.  Interestingly (or not!) I picked it up last week in Salt Lake City.  I didn't think too much about it as I love Jon Krakauer, but got a few odd looks reading it at the airport whilst waiting for the plane.

I finished that book 6 months ago, crazy stuff! Krakauer never dissappoints.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

br00ke

Quote from: wolof7 on Jun 17, 2011, 07:09 AM
Quote from: lucylew on Jun 16, 2011, 10:56 PM

I finished that book 6 months ago, crazy stuff! Krakauer never dissappoints.

o0oh yeah ... that's a great book!! i generally love all of his books but i haven't read
Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman .. anyone read that one yet?

i am currently reading Les Miserables & i'm on page 1113 out of 1463 *gulp* ... i am so ready to read some trashy guilty pleasure book. ok maybe not trashy but certainly not something like Les Miserable. i was gonna hold out until i finished this but i'm going to lay out on the beach tomorrow and Les Miserable doesn't scream beach reading ya know?

i've never seen the play or movie RE: Les Mis so this has been interesting but i get annoyed with how much Hugo digresses .. longwinded digressions. OY !!

lucylew

I bought Where Men Win Glory at the same time - it's up next!

woodnymph

"Moon-letters are rune-letters, but you cannot see them," said Elrond, "not when you look straight at them.  They can only be seen when the moon shines behind them, and what is more, with the more cunning sort it must be a moon of the same shape and season as the day when they were written.  The dwarves invented them and wrote them with silver pens, as your friends could tell you.  These must have been written on a mid-summer's eve in a crescent moon, a long while ago."
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo

A star shines on the hour of our meeting

Falling all over the Fellowship of the Ring again, sorry folks, it's just such a great read... gotta love the Elven languages!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

YouAre_GivenToFly

REALLY wish I paid more attention to him in high school.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

TheBigChicken

Let Me In - John Ajvide Lindqvist
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

mjk73

What is going to be the next literary phenomanon. Harry Potter is done, Twilight is done, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is done. I would love it to be George RR Martin but sadly his works won't be based on the large gaps of time he takes to write his books.