Snowboard or Ski

Started by joevl116, Nov 20, 2010, 11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe v

Heading out to Breckenridge Colorado the 1st week of December to give snowboard lessons to our Wounded Warriors. Most guys are dealing with new prosthetic limbs, very challenging. It's amazing what your capable of when you put your mind to it!
So, how do you ride down the mountain & where do you ride? I can only snowboard now 8-) which is fine by me. I do most of my riding at Copper mtn but also hit Vail, A-basin, Steamboat, Loveland & Breckenridge where I teach adaptive snowboarding. There is nothing like riding in the trees on a massive powder day listening to your favorite music :D !
My Perfect Day = Snowboarding on a powder day in the trees & listening to my favorite music.

Jaimoe

When I do ski, it's been small mountains in Ontario and the awesome Mont-Sainte Anne near Quebec City. I prefer downhill, and cross-country (and water). I don't like snowboarding and grew to dislike snowboard culture (including fashion) when I worked the Olympics in Whistler. I didn't ski when I worked the Olympics, but I did go up Whistler Mountain.

However, what you are doing sounds inspiring. Well done!

the_wizzard

Very cool Joe!  My parents live in Park City and they have the National Ability Center there which really does an amazing job.

I ride, ride, ride the mountain!  I love it, so freeing!  My parents are serious skiers and taught me to ski when I was 3 years old.  We lived in Buffalo, NY when I was a kid and went to a small ski area south of the city every weekend, every winter.  I have been all over Vermont and Maine on ski's as a kid.  Been on vaca with the folks to the Aspen area, A-Basin area, Jackson Hole, Park City numerous times, Taos, and when we went to Tahoe that is when I learned to ride and fell in love with snowboarding.  I was 16 at the time and once I got a board at 19, I never cared to ski again.  I am a damn good skier, but snowboarding is just more fun IMO.  I have snowboarded at Tahoe, Mammoth, Keystone, Whistler, Stevens Pass, White Pass, Bachelor, Hood and of course Park City (and surrounding resorts).  I live in Portland, OR and no matter what people say, our snow sucks (too wet).  I prefer to find a way to visit the folks in Park City and get my adventures there....

pawpaw

That's really great work you're doing Joe V!

I took a similar path as the wizzard. Started skiing young, but made the jump to snowboarding in Jr. High. I live in Sacramento, and grew up in N. California, so I've mostly ridden in the Tahoe area (favorites are Kirkwood, Squaw Valley and Sugar Bowl). I'm with you on the fresh powder tree days though, they really are the best.

These latest storms have brought as much as 6 ft. to the Tahoe resorts, so it's looking like a good start to the season!  8-)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Paulie_Walnuts

Skiing for me - almost always in Obergurgl, Austria. I did get to Whistler once in 2003 but that's my only North American experience. Snowboarding looks like fun and I'd like to give it a go, but I can't justify the time I would need to spend learning when I usually only ski for one week a year.

I'm a stone cold intermediate on the slopes, no off pisting for me, but I truly love being out in the mountains on a sunny day. When I'm on the slopes my mind is free of everyday life, and I find it so amazingly relaxing and almost meditative. I'm super jealous of those of you who live in close proximity to the mountains so that you can ski every weekend or even every day.

It's something I dream about......  :)

Paulie W

walterfredo

I'm oldskool, I ski.  Spending NYE in Lake Tahoe, and will probably try to hit up Kirkwood.  

Penny Lane

QuoteI am a damn good skier, but snowboarding is just more fun IMO.  I have snowboarded at Tahoe, Mammoth, Keystone, Whistler, Stevens Pass, White Pass, Bachelor, Hood and of course Park City (and surrounding resorts).  I live in Portland, OR and no matter what people say, our snow sucks (too wet).  I prefer to find a way to visit the folks in Park City and get my adventures there....

i agree, Wizz. i've only snowboarded a handful of times, but i LOVED it. it's a lot more work getting on and off the lifts but it's so much more fun. if you can take the falling and the bruises, it's so much better.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

joe v

QuoteVery cool Joe!  My parents live in Park City and they have the National Ability Center there which really does an amazing job.

I ride, ride, ride the mountain!  I love it, so freeing!  My parents are serious skiers and taught me to ski when I was 3 years old.  We lived in Buffalo, NY when I was a kid and went to a small ski area south of the city every weekend, every winter.  I have been all over Vermont and Maine on ski's as a kid.  Been on vaca with the folks to the Aspen area, A-Basin area, Jackson Hole, Park City numerous times, Taos, and when we went to Tahoe that is when I learned to ride and fell in love with snowboarding.  I was 16 at the time and once I got a board at 19, I never cared to ski again.  I am a damn good skier, but snowboarding is just more fun IMO.  I have snowboarded at Tahoe, Mammoth, Keystone, Whistler, Stevens Pass, White Pass, Bachelor, Hood and of course Park City (and surrounding resorts).  I live in Portland, OR and no matter what people say, our snow sucks (too wet).  I prefer to find a way to visit the folks in Park City and get my adventures there....
Wiz, we met at the It Still Moves show, I was at the table on the rail with you, AJ, Andrew & Jen, great time, thanks again for sharing 8-). If your ever in Colorado get in touch, I have a condo in Summit county & the snow is never wet at 12,000 feet! If not, hope to bump into you at the next MMJ Red Rocks show if they decide to return :-/.
My Perfect Day = Snowboarding on a powder day in the trees & listening to my favorite music.

the_wizzard

QuoteVery cool Joe!  My parents live in Park City and they have the National Ability Center there which really does an amazing job.

Wiz, we met at the It Still Moves show, I was at the table on the rail with you, AJ, Andrew & Jen, great time, thanks again for sharing 8-). If your ever in Colorado get in touch, I have a condo in Summit county & the snow is never wet at 12,000 feet! If not, hope to bump into you at the next MMJ Red Rocks show if they decide to return :-/.
Hi Joe!!!!  Nice to see you around these parts!

I too am hoping for a Red Rocks run...in all my music travels I have yet to see a show at Red Rocks.  I hope for MMJ to change that!  
And the Rockies and Wasatch's have the best powder, hands down.  Here, people confuse freshies with powder all the time  :-/

Crispy

Outstanding, Joe, good for you!

I'm a skier, oldskool like walter and old too. I learned as a kid, moved to Colorado when I was 10 and skied about every other weekend until college. Always skied bumps and still do, though the knees and lungs aren't what they used to be. My favorites were Mary Jane, Breckenridge, Steamboat, and A Basin. Loved Aspen and Vail but didn't get to ski those places much. I miss skiing a LOT and want to get back to it badly.

I still have family in CO, and a cabin NW of Boulder, so WHEN MMJ plays at Red Rocks again, we will all meet up and have a good old time. You're coming no matter what, Wiz!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

the_wizzard

QuoteOutstanding, Joe, good for you!

I'm a skier, oldskool like walter and old too. I learned as a kid, moved to Colorado when I was 10 and skied about every other weekend until college. Always skied bumps and still do, though the knees and lungs aren't what they used to be. My favorites were Mary Jane, Breckenridge, Steamboat, and A Basin. Loved Aspen and Vail but didn't get to ski those places much. I miss skiing a LOT and want to get back to it badly.

I still have family in CO, and a cabin NW of Boulder, so WHEN MMJ plays at Red Rocks again, we will all meet up and have a good old time. You're coming no matter what, Wiz!
You don't even know Crispy!  I am planning on it and we don't have a new album release date or tour info yet!  AJ has an old, dear friend with ~60 acres in Nederland.  We are dying to visit him, and catch MMJ at Red Rocks (*cough, cough tour manager)

the_wizzard

QuoteI am a damn good skier, but snowboarding is just more fun IMO.  I have snowboarded at Tahoe, Mammoth, Keystone, Whistler, Stevens Pass, White Pass, Bachelor, Hood and of course Park City (and surrounding resorts).  I live in Portland, OR and no matter what people say, our snow sucks (too wet).  I prefer to find a way to visit the folks in Park City and get my adventures there....

i agree, Wizz. i've only snowboarded a handful of times, but i LOVED it. it's a lot more work getting on and off the lifts but it's so much more fun. if you can take the falling and the bruises, it's so much better.
You will get the hang of lifts soon enough.  It is one of the trickier hurdles to overcome.  My sister still tries to take me down when we get off the lift  ;D
Keep at it, Penny.  I can't even begin to describe the freedom and oneness I feel when riding.  I just lean to and fro and the board guides me down the mountain, FAST!  Love the crisp air, surfin' the mountain and the meditative state it induces....

walterfredo

Dude.....where's my car?

woke up to this on 12/29 in Lake Tahoe.  Tons of snow up there right now, amazing time to hit up Lake Tahoe.

joe v

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 04, 2011, 11:57 AM
Dude.....where's my car?

woke up to this on 12/29 in Lake Tahoe.  Tons of snow up there right now, amazing time to hit up Lake Tahoe.

That kind of looks like Sierra Cement ;D. Kidding, hope you were able to get out & ride.

pawpaw

Snow is here, and (if the highways are open) I'm heading up to Squaw this afternoon. Tomorrow is going to be AWESOME, I'm so f-in' stoked!

Anyone else been ridin' this season?

Penny Lane

Quote from: bbill on Mar 01, 2012, 11:38 AM
Snow is here, and (if the highways are open) I'm heading up to Squaw this afternoon. Tomorrow is going to be AWESOME, I'm so f-in' stoked!

awesome!! have fun, B!

and no, we've had ONLY 3 DAYS OF SNOW HERE!!! ha ha
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

pawpaw

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 01, 2012, 11:41 AM
Quote from: bbill on Mar 01, 2012, 11:38 AM

awesome!! have fun, B!

and no, we've had ONLY 3 DAYS OF SNOW HERE!!! ha ha

Thanks!

It's been a horribly dry winter here too, but since Monday the summits of some of our resorts have gotten 3-4 feet, with another 1-2 on the way through the night tonight. These storms have been cold (by CA standards) so the snow quality is great, and things are going to clear up overnight, so tomorrow could be an outstanding powder day. I just hope the roads are open!

:D

Hawkeye

Went skiing twice this year...both times in Iowa lol.  Yes, there is a ski resort in Iowa.  Yes, it is fairly small lol.  Sundown Mountain if anyone is interested in checking it out.  Chestnut ski resort is another one nearby, near Galena, IL.

Was going to go last weekend to Timberline in WV, but had too much shit to do.   >:(
We could.

TEO

Learned to ski in a phys. ed. class at NAU in the late 70's. Picked up some Austrian 205's and they FORCED me to become better. Did quite a bit in CO after that but only a week at a time usually. Vail, Breck, Copper, Keystone, Monarch, Beaver, and my favorite Cooper were some of my haunts. Garnered from a local at Red Rocks this summer that Wolf Creek was def. worth checking out. Haven't been for a coupla' of years and miss it SO much...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I only like carving in the fresh powder with my snowboard.  ski'ing reminds me of the 80's.  all you old people need to get with it.  nothing better than hitting a crunchy fakey 360 zig zag tail punch with a front nose tweaker skeetin off the edge of a h3tty half pipe.