What's the symbolism and significance of the Bear?

Started by Loonyj, Dec 28, 2008, 03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I heard they were playing "remain in light" in it's entirety tonight.

ALady

Oh my god, if they ever cover "Brown Eyed Women", I hope I'm there.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

SpacedCowboy

I've always thought of the bear as Jim's Familiar or Power Animal.  It is both a wise companion and guide through the spiritual journey of life.
and the pump don't work cause the vandal took the handle

Apeskies

I dunno about all that, but I'm down with the bear. I like his presence. =))

MyEveningWear

I assumed along with the more general and Dead-specific references, there was also a potential tie-in to "bears" in the gay community (basically, meaning more heavyset, non-stereotypical guys): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_community

megalicious

all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

Grateful Chabo

QuoteIndeed, Bill Graham had breakfast for everyone.  It was all part of his plan for a dusk till dawn amazing evening .  The Closing of Winterland is one of the finest Dead shows out there.  Other acts included the Blues Brothers, NRPS, and the Flying Karamazov Bros.  I have the CD set and the DVD  and this is a must have for any deadhead (the extras on the DVD are worth it alone!).
One other notable show played there was the amazing The Last Waltz!

i bet it was one tasty pancake
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

pawpaw

I think they're paying homage to this man:

Owsley Stanley (born Augustus Owsley Stanley III, January 19, 1935) also known as The Bear, was an underground LSD chemist, the first to produce large quantities of pure LSD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owsley_Stanley
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

tidu

The strength of Bear medicine is the power of introspection. Bear is not one to make snap decisions, nor one to ramrod or force into any position. Bear takes in all available information, takes it into his quiet place, studies that information carefully, gives it careful thought for a while, and then reaches his own informed decisions based on the facts at hand. Bear is the one who says, "I have to think about this. I'll be in touch later." You can rely on opinions coming from a Bear person as being well thought out and thorough, and based on the facts given. To accomplish the goals and dreams that we carry, the art of introspection is necessary. ... Bear people like home and shelter, and like to be warm and cozy.

It's weird this is the exact vibe I get from the band. I'm a bit of a new listener, since last summer, but ever since it's been straight Jacket (I probably should have phrased that differently). so many of their songs just have this feeling and really put you in the mood. And that goes both ways, Strangulation can really bring you down! ;) But anyway, it's an excellent quote.

DejaView2011

After many listens to The Bear it's pretty obvious it is indeed a  reference to the Gay bear community and cruising. It's actually a very sad song when you look at it that way. But beautifully written.
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?

youreveningcoat

Quote from: DejaView2011 on May 07, 2011, 05:55 AM
After many listens to The Bear it's pretty obvious it is indeed a  reference to the Gay bear community and cruising. It's actually a very sad song when you look at it that way. But beautifully written.

Does this mean MMJ are trying to tell us that they are actually non-stereotypical gays?...
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

scosby2

Quote from: fleabag on Dec 30, 2008, 10:22 AM
According to Wikipedia, The Dead played an eight hour show on NYE in 1978 at the Winterland Ballroom in SF.  In fact, the very last show that was ever played there before it closed.

{holds flashlight to chin} .. and it was exactly 30 years ago to the day from the MMJ NYE show.

creepy man.  

but yeah, im seriously pathetic for sitting around thinking of this crap.  I just cant wait for the show, and can't think of anything else.
wolfgang's vault just put up a couple of videos from this show...hopefully more will be added. right now it's just casey jones/johnny b. goode...pretty cool

DejaView2011

Quote from: youreveningcoat on May 08, 2011, 05:42 AM

Does this mean MMJ are trying to tell us that they are actually non-stereotypical gays?...
Since I didn't write the lyrics I can't say exactly. But it's pretty rediculous to ignore the repeated subject matter of cruising. "Into the woods" is a downright sleazy cruising song (on your knees, open your mouth, I'm gonna give you what you need and you're gonna like it), The Bear is another song about cruising, as is Anytime. The BEAR in Gay culture in NOT about "Non Stereotypical gays", it's about men who are "Bearish" in frame, bearded, hairy and VERY much like Jim. The lyrics are also way too personal to be written by the whole band. They're Jim's feelings. And if you cannot read between the lines that Dondante is about a friend of his that obviously lived a Gay, sexually promiscuous life and paid the ultimate price for it, then you're in denial. Read back over all the lyrics. Almost ALL of "Z" is full of inuendo and metaphors.
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?

touchingmept2

The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

DaFunkyPrecedent

If you rearrange "The Bear" you get "Eat Herb".  Just sayin'....
God damn those shaky knees.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: DejaView2011 on May 10, 2011, 12:11 AM

Since I didn't write the lyrics I can't say exactly. But it's pretty rediculous to ignore the repeated subject matter of cruising. "Into the woods" is a downright sleazy cruising song (on your knees, open your mouth, I'm gonna give you what you need and you're gonna like it), The Bear is another song about cruising, as is Anytime. The BEAR in Gay culture in NOT about "Non Stereotypical gays", it's about men who are "Bearish" in frame, bearded, hairy and VERY much like Jim. The lyrics are also way too personal to be written by the whole band. They're Jim's feelings. And if you cannot read between the lines that Dondante is about a friend of his that obviously lived a Gay, sexually promiscuous life and paid the ultimate price for it, then you're in denial. Read back over all the lyrics. Almost ALL of "Z" is full of inuendo and metaphors.

Where's AMD at when you need him?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jon T.

So you start off saying that "since you didn't write the lyrics I can't say exactly" but then end up essentially telling me I'm in denial because I can't "read between the lines" in Dondante.  What make you the authority on this?  Just because you're gay, you turn all of the lyrics to pertain to your lifestyle?  One of the greatest things about music is that it's different things to different people, but every one of the lyrics you just used (if they are actually sexual innuendos) can pertain straight or gay people.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Jon T. on May 10, 2011, 08:36 AM

So you start off saying that "since you didn't write the lyrics I can't say exactly" but then end up essentially telling me I'm in denial because I can't "read between the lines" in Dondante.  What make you the authority on this?  Just because you're gay, you turn all of the lyrics to pertain to your lifestyle?  One of the greatest things about music is that it's different things to different people, but every one of the lyrics you just used (if they are actually sexual innuendos) can pertain straight or gay people.

I agree with you and was gonna throw in my two cents but it was getting late last night. Artists mention all the time in interviews that fans interpret songs to make them about themselves. But guess what, the songs aren't about you! Also pretty sure it's well known that Dondante is about a friend/ex-band member (Month Of Sundays I think) that committed suicide.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

YouAre_GivenToFly

I used to like bears. I liked that bears were all over MMJ posters and shirts and album covers.

I've been planning a hiking trip out in Montana (read: grizzly country). I've read a few books now about bear attacks in preparation for this trip. I don't like bears as much as I used to anymore.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Randall