What's the symbolism and significance of the Bear?

Started by Loonyj, Dec 28, 2008, 03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loonyj

There bear is present on all the albums, and video's so there's a symbolism, and I'm guessing it's Grateful Dead related.

JJ last night was sporting a stealy medalion on a short necklace, so he's obviously a Dead fan.

Anyone know the significance or meaning of the bear(s).

BTW last night they rocked hard, but were a littel rusty from not playing, I'm guessing tonights show will be a little better and by the time they get to NYC for NYE, they'll be back at full boil!!

Loonyj

Somebody has to know what this is about!!!

Or hazard your best guess.

xmascriminal

I just think it's cause the Bear is awesome. Do they really need a reason beyond that?

hizzo

One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain.

easy way

There was a bear (the one pictured on ISM) in the barn where they used to record in Shelbyville, KY in the early days. Not sure if that was the origin, but that bear has been around longer than the band... ;)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

kydiddle

So I googled 'The Bear' and found this:

http://www.kididdles.com/lyrics/b004.html

It's like Bizarro World on Seinfeld. A website with a close spelling of my name on here and a song called 'The Bear' that is not the 'The Bear' which we love.

Weird. I think I might change my name.
Cow temperature.

searchinbig

QuoteThere bear is present on all the albums, and video's so there's a symbolism, and I'm guessing it's Grateful Dead related.

JJ last night was sporting a stealy medalion on a short necklace, so he's obviously a Dead fan.

Do you mean a "Steal Your Face" medallion? Odd to me because I don't think they ever played a Dead tune or referenced the Dead at any time.

Maybe a sign of more great things to come on NYE. That was the Dead's biggest party of the year.

;)
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

lasvegas

QuoteThere bear is present on all the albums, and video's so there's a symbolism, and I'm guessing it's Grateful Dead related.

Do you mean a "Steal Your Face" medallion? Odd to me because I don't think they ever played a Dead tune or referenced the Dead at any time.

Maybe a sign of more great things to come on NYE. That was the Dead's biggest party of the year.

;)

bring.it.on.

and if he was wearing a SYF medallion i'll pee myself right here at work.

pics??
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

fleabag

According to Wikipedia, The Dead played an eight hour show on NYE in 1978 at the Winterland Ballroom in SF.  In fact, the very last show that was ever played there before it closed.

{holds flashlight to chin} .. and it was exactly 30 years ago to the day from the MMJ NYE show.

creepy man.  

but yeah, im seriously pathetic for sitting around thinking of this crap.  I just cant wait for the show, and can't think of anything else.
...words only got in the way

lasvegas

QuoteAccording to Wikipedia, The Dead played an eight hour show on NYE in 1978 at the Winterland Ballroom in SF.  In fact, the very last show that was ever played there before it closed.

{holds flashlight to chin} .. and it was exactly 30 years ago to the day from the MMJ NYE show.

creepy man.  

but yeah, im seriously pathetic for sitting around thinking of this crap.  I just cant wait for the show, and can't think of anything else.

right on fleabag. an epic show for sure.

i just listened to 12/29/77 also from winterland and also epic.

as for the bear...everyone knows, jim was attacked as a child by a bear, and as he lay in the hospital recovering, he had a dream of a burnt down bar and finding a magical jacket in the charred remains...

fleabag

QuoteAccording to Wikipedia, The Dead played an eight hour show on NYE in 1978 at the Winterland Ballroom in SF.  In fact, the very last show that was ever played there before it closed.

creepy man.  

as for the bear...everyone knows, jim was attacked as a child by a bear, and as he lay in the hospital recovering, he had a dream of a burnt down bar and finding a magical jacket in the charred remains...

I had only heard that story in pieces.  Interesting.
...words only got in the way

ritchiem4812

Well, the Grateful Dead didn't exactly play during all of those 8 hours. There were 2 or 3 other bands that played before them and a lot of in between set celebration. But the coolest thing I remember reading is that after the shows it was close to morning and Bill Graham had breakfast for everyone.

the_wizzard

QuoteWell, the Grateful Dead didn't exactly play during all of those 8 hours. There were 2 or 3 other bands that played before them and a lot of in between set celebration. But the coolest thing I remember reading is that after the shows it was close to morning and Bill Graham had breakfast for everyone.

Bill Graham had pancakes made for everyone for breakfast.

wharf rat

Indeed, Bill Graham had breakfast for everyone.  It was all part of his plan for a dusk till dawn amazing evening .  The Closing of Winterland is one of the finest Dead shows out there.  Other acts included the Blues Brothers, NRPS, and the Flying Karamazov Bros.  I have the CD set and the DVD  and this is a must have for any deadhead (the extras on the DVD are worth it alone!).
One other notable show played there was the amazing The Last Waltz!

pawpaw

QuoteWell, the Grateful Dead didn't exactly play during all of those 8 hours. There were 2 or 3 other bands that played before them and a lot of in between set celebration. But the coolest thing I remember reading is that after the shows it was close to morning and Bill Graham had breakfast for everyone.

Bill Graham had pancakes made for everyone for breakfast.

Hi Wizz!  :)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

tomEisenbraun

creepy man.  

;D
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

alexzbik

;)

They have a trippy light show and, particularly on slower numbers like "Golden," James' voice resembles Garica-ish unpolished, high and lonesome voice.

"I'd do 'Candyman,' there's something about that song that's so awesome," James told Jambands.com in 2005, when asked what Grateful Dead song he'd cover on the tenth anniversary of Jerry Garcia's passing. "I'm more a fan of the real structured Grateful Dead songs, the acoustic Grateful Dead songs. On 'Candyman,' it's just like all the harmonies and all the amazing guitar parts and the lyrics...the whole thing. I'd do that or 'Brown Eyed Women." I'm not even that huge of a Dead fan, but there's just something about Garcia that was so sweet and so awesome. The first time I ever heard him was on pedal steel on 'Teach Your Children' — pedal steel, I think, is one of God's gifts to people. I can sit there and listen to that song over and over and over and it makes me want to have kids and get married and cry. Just the way he emoted was to me more important than any song that he wrote or anything in particular. It was just his force and I think that's why people loved him so much. There was just something about him that was insanely magical."

taken from: http://www.jambands.com/Features/content_2008_05_23.07.phtml
Stolen as the war begun, this time your soul is my one.

ycartrob

I'm pretty sure bears were around before the Grateful Dead. In fact, I am almost positive...

The Bear is the keeper of the dream time, and stores the teachings of dreams until the dreamer wakes up to them. Many tribes have called this space of inner-knowing the Dream Lodge, where the death of the illusion of physical reality overlays the expansiveness of eternity. It is in the Dream Lodge that our ancestors sit in Council and advise us regarding alternative pathways that lead to our goals.
If you like bears, you should maybe look into some books on interpreting dreams; especially if you're a heavy dreamer. If you need a lot of sleep, it may be Bear working. This female receptive energy, for centuries has allowed visionaries, mystics, and shamans to prophesy.

The strength of Bear medicine is the power of introspection. Bear is not one to make snap decisions, nor one to ramrod or force into any position. Bear takes in all available information, takes it into his quiet place, studies that information carefully, gives it careful thought for a while, and then reaches his own informed decisions based on the facts at hand. Bear is the one who says, "I have to think about this. I'll be in touch later." You can rely on opinions coming from a Bear person as being well thought out and thorough, and based on the facts given. To accomplish the goals and dreams that we carry, the art of introspection is necessary.

Bear is a fierce warrior, especially when protecting their young. They appear to be lumbering and slow, but can have lightning speed when threatened. They love fish when they can get it, but they also eat berries, honey, etc. Bear people like home and shelter, and like to be warm and cozy.

lasvegas

great pull on that quote.

all i want is a dead cover tonight.

alexzbik

if we get a Candyman tonight i don't know how i would be able to contain myself.
Stolen as the war begun, this time your soul is my one.