Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEO

stacking up my retirement bonfire hickory today...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Jaimoe

I had a great 9 day vacation in California.

The EELS at the Fillmore was an early hightlight and San Fran is a fun and interesting city - but it was nearly impossible to board cable-cars in mid route and the operators were across the board big assholes (and I was no great fan of the chainstore-domintated commercialized Fisherman's Warf, but the seals were great!). Sonoma/Napa wines were delicious. I was whelmed with Alcatraz (I'm from the most prison-dominated city in Canada, Kingston, so prisons don't shock me too much; but it was impressive). Oh, and god love the IPA choices: Firestone, Stone, some of the draughts at the Magnolia Brewery etc... I was also in awe of the Dead's house and loved the Haight. The Blue Angels during Fleet Week kicked ass and are the best in the world for a reason = awesome! I missed much though: Castro, football/baseball. But I did see Madam Butterfly in San Fran and loved its food and neighbourhoods.

I drove down the coastline from San Fran to LA and stopped in small towns and a few wineries and loved the experience. I know now without a doubt, I could never live in LA, but it was fun visiting that sprawling car-obsessed mess of an area (but Santa Monica minus 3rd Street was nice). Also, that Hearst sure knew how to live - his castle was stunning and the tour was terrific - and seeing elephant seals sparring in the surf was thrilling. I didn't love Hollywood (one or two semi-dense blocks and then highways carving up the area), but certainly loved seeing the sign, the famous hand and footprints and both Kodak Theatre and Warner Brothers tours - I also stopped in at the Whisky, Roxy and Rainbow clubs.

I also enjoyed dining at the world famous Chez Panisse in Berkeley. Overall, it was one of my better trips.

johnnYYac

Quote[size=16]Life ...oh and these geeks who follow the Jacket with me! Each person nicer than the next..My affection for you all has become embarrassing :-) [/size]
Who you callin' a geek? >:(
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ruckus

Ghosts and his friends are OK

:)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

darkglow

QuoteGhosts and his friends are OK

i made them promise they'd join up here. i think they got weirded out by us in the beginning of the week and it was cool to see the transition towards the end.

tehehehe we didn't even need to use the candy or white unmarked econoline van this time.
8-)

Ruckus

QuoteGhosts and his friends are OK

i made them promise they'd join up here. i think they got weirded out by us in the beginning of the week and it was cool to see the transition towards the end.

tehehehe we didn't even need to use the candy or white unmarked econoline van this time.
8-)
Well, we were kinda a bunch of nutbags

Ruckus

Please forgive me for an afterglow cross post.

I have been listening to this band for almost 7 years now and they have brought me joy that very few bands have been able to replicate over my 32 years.  However, the unadulterated joy that was October 18-23, I can confidently say I've never experienced before.  The apartment, the people from all over, the city,  the music and the unbridled kindness of all created a confluence of energies that set me off on an unmatched 6 day high that was supplemented by only a few drinks and a pretzel or two. Wink

I joined this forum over 2 years ago and found myself returning to more often as time went by because I sensed there were very good people here and the sense of community it brought was real and fulfilling.  Throughout that time, I have met members here and there at shows and each person I had met only reinforced my appreciation of this forum and the people here.  

So often in the communities of the interwebs, we lack the accountability that should counterbalance the often strong opinions that we espouse.  Within this community, a large majority of the people have wanted to be held accountable by actually wanting to meet up together before and after shows, 1st to show how frickin' awesome they are, but also to back up what may otherwise be construed as somewhat hollow, insincere postings on a digital message board.  For that, you guys are the best.

I cannot remember the last time I felt so giddy for such a prolonged period of time that can only be compared to excitement of something new that I experienced during my youth, whether it be summer camp or my folks taking me overseas to stay with my families in Japan and India.  Sharing that apartment was something else guys.  The tiniest of living quarters, 75 minutes waits for the shower, paper thin walls, bedbugs, a shower so small that if you dropped your soap you had to get out to pick it up, and some many other random quirks.  BUT, all you roomies made it awesome.  That's it.  You all know who you are and thanks for making it the best 4 night hotel stay in my life.

So with all that sense of euphoria coursing through me thanks to all the great people I met at McGee's, the venue and elsewhere, the music also happened.  That is likely for another thread but needless to say, those were the best 5 concerts of my life.  My really close friend from high school who I hadn't seen in two years joined me for Z night.  He said he'll be willing to take days off to tour near the NE to Mid Atlantic whenever they come back.  Enough said.  

Thanks everyone!  [smiley=beer.gif]

And I'm not proof reading this.  >:(

kydiddle

I cannot remember the last time I felt so giddy for such a prolonged period of time that can only be compared to excitement of something new that I experienced during my youth, whether it be summer camp or my folks taking me overseas to stay with my families in Japan and India.  Sharing that apartment was something else guys.  The tiniest of living quarters, 75 minutes waits for the shower, [highlight]paper thin walls[/highlight], bedbugs, a shower so small that if you dropped your soap you had to get out to pick it up, and some many other random quirks.  BUT, all you roomies made it awesome.  That's it.  You all know who you are and thanks for making it the best 4 night hotel stay in my life.

So with all that sense of euphoria coursing through me thanks to all the great people I met at McGee's, the venue and elsewhere, the music also happened.  That is likely for another thread but needless to say, those were the best 5 concerts of my life.  My really close friend from high school who I hadn't seen in two years joined me for Z night.  He said he'll be willing to take days off to tour near the NE to Mid Atlantic whenever they come back.  Enough said.  

Thanks everyone!  [smiley=beer.gif]

And I'm not proof reading this.  >:(

Very poetic. :) And I only said GOOD THINGS about you when you heard our conversation. <3 ya, Ruckus. By the way, I have your hat and need your address.
Cow temperature.

megalicious

So, hey! Things are great. It's fall. I am in love. I just ate a red delicious apple. My new house has a fireplace. I love my life.
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

lil sis

All of the cool forum peeps I met for the shows.  I will forever have many wonderful memories etched in my mind.
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

darkglow

meg.. good to hear.. it's been a long time since we caught up

the_wizzard

The Trail Blazers win the season opener at home against the suns  [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

iLikeBeer

QuoteThe Trail Blazers win the season opener at home against the suns  [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

The Heat lost their season opener at Boston!!!   ;D

the_wizzard

Just picked this up from the framers

TheBigChicken

QuoteSo, hey! Things are great. It's fall. I am in love. I just ate a red delicious apple. My new house has a fireplace. I love my life.
great news !
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Paulie_Walnuts

The National Hunt racing season is about to start. What about this for an athlete! Check out Denman (nickname The Tank) make a huge jump at 6.15 of the video. Superb commentary as well.

Next month he goes for three in a row:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM9dkJrtMQ4[/media]

Denman The Destroyer in the big race of 2008:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQTzaCWnmA[/media]
Paulie W

joe v

QuoteFall in Colorado

My roommate passed the Bar Exam

Its starting to snow in the mountains

Phish and MMJ

Poking my head in this place
Wonderful 8-). I'm just going to add to a great list ;).

Winter in Colorado

Snowboarding on a POWDER DAY in the trees listening to:

PJ, Phish & MMJ 8-)

Volunteer adaptive snowboard lessons for a week in Breckenridge for the Wounded Warriors.

Being married to my wonderful wife :-* who happens to be a flight attendant. WHO 8-) & which allow me to fly to N.Y.( visit home & see MMJ, PJ & Phish), & Colorado(snowboard 2 weeks a month) :D.

My Perfect Day = Snowboarding on a powder day in the trees & listening to my favorite music.

Paulie_Walnuts

Very jealous, but happy for you!

We need a skiing thread for sure........ :)
Paulie W

ALady

That was a good time.   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

TEO

The long awaited arrival of Pretty Penny as our houseguest... :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary