Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearass

mjk pujols is god hands down he came down from heaven to hit moonshots and drive in ass loads of runs just for us lou fans

im going to see them saturday and im gonna tear the town apart

the only bad thing is i have to see wellemeyer the last 2 times i have seen his lame ass pitch oh well we got the green seats

mjkoehler

Your in town next weekend? Sweet. If you make it Friday, the Features are playing Friday night at the Firebird, rock out, then enjoy the game Saturday.

bearass

man well be ther sat sun i have to work friday that sucks

mjkoehler

Dats coo.

Game being replayed on FSN. Yeah.

Ruckus

QuoteI heart Sir Albert. OMFG that grand slam took off like a rocket.

I'm not sure there was chatter about this from a month ago but that was pretty sweet when he knocked in 2 runs on a sac fly.

Only Albert
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

BH

Great article on Albert...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=4271518

Yo bearass!  Good to hear from you.  Have a great time at the game.

Take it easy on Wellemeyer.  He's good friends with my cousin and he's a really good dude.   He has been tough to watch recently I'll admit but I think he'll turn it around soon.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

QuoteI heart Sir Albert. OMFG that grand slam took off like a rocket.

I'm not sure there was chatter about this from a month ago but that was pretty sweet when he knocked in 2 runs on a sac fly.

Only Albert
I remember that. Yes, only Albert could do that.

I cannot wait to the All Star HR contest, if he's in it. The game is going to creat absolute mass chaos around here (I work a few blocks from Bush Stadium), but I would imagine he will be so jazzed for this he'll be putting on a show since it's the home town crowd.

aMillionDreams

QuoteGreat article on Albert...

Take it easy on Wellemeyer.  He's good friends with my cousin and he's a really good dude.   He has been tough to watch recently I'll admit but I think he'll turn it around soon.

Small world, BH.  I went to Bellarmine with Wellemeyer.  I had Theology with him, well when he showed up.  The prof wasn't having it though, he failed.  Goose from this board is pretty good friends with him and went to HS with him.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

BH

Small world, BH.  I went to Bellarmine with Wellemeyer.  I had Theology with him, well when he showed up.  The prof wasn't having it though, he failed.  Goose from this board is pretty good friends with him and went to HS with him.

Nice!   My cousin lived in Iowa for awhile and met him when he was still in the Cubs farm system.  Then my cousin moved to Chicago and soon afterwords Wellemeyer got called up to pitch with the Cubbies.  Then Todd comes to the Cardinals (after a brief stint with Florida I believe?) and now my cousin is moving back home after having his first baby so they are kind of following each other around the country, hah!   Maybe he'll get me some good tickets now that he's back. ;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

goose

Nice!   My cousin lived in Iowa for awhile and met him when he was still in the Cubs farm system.  Then my cousin moved to Chicago and soon afterwords Wellemeyer got called up to pitch with the Cubbies.  Then Todd comes to the Cardinals (after a brief stint with Florida I believe?) and now my cousin is moving back home after having his first baby so they are kind of following each other around the country, hah!   Maybe he'll get me some good tickets now that he's back. ;D

Yeah Todd is a friend of mine from the college and hs years.  HE played at a school called Eastern in High School and we beat them some, but lost to them are senior year in regional finals.  I hung out with him a bunch during the college years, and still talk to him from time to time.  We get to see him during the offseason and when he plays in Cincy.
Hooked on four like one, two, three

bearass

nah hes alright when hes on its just i miss waino by one day and he is the only one i havent seen pitch yet and probably my fav they havent lost the last four times ive seen them (knocking on wood) last time wellemeyer actually had a really good game

i love all my cards  :D

BH

Quotenah hes alright when hes on its just i miss waino by one day and he is the only one i havent seen pitch yet and probably my fav they havent lost the last four times ive seen them (knocking on wood) last time wellemeyer actually had a really good game

i love all my cards  :D

2 game lead baby!

bearass

what was up with pinero last night i will take half of the game he pitched any time he goes out

i am thoroughly enjoying this hot streak we are on  

BH

Quotewhat was up with pinero last night i will take half of the game he pitched any time he goes out

He's got that sinker working for him.  22 ground ball outs!  That's Duncan ball for ya.   Just got some tickets for Tuesday.  Should be Carpenter. :)  I'm 0-2 so far this year so hopefully my luck will change and yours will continue.

mjkoehler

Quotewhat was up with pinero last night i will take half of the game he pitched any time he goes out

He's got that sinker working for him.  22 ground ball outs!  That's Duncan ball for ya.   Just got some tickets for Tuesday.  Should be Carpenter. :)  I'm 0-2 so far this year so hopefully my luck will change and yours will continue.
Both are doing better then me. I have yet to make it to a game. Damn sales peeps are being greedy with the tickets this year.

BH

Not to drive this point home any more than I already have but I thought this was a good article backing my general view of the topic....

Pujols' numbers should shut up doubters
By Jeff Gordon
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
06/26/2009

Albert Pujols stepped in against Johan Santana Thursday afternoon in the top of the second inning. The bases were loaded and two outs. The Cardinals led 1-0.

Pujols had the opportunity to blast Santana and provide staff ace Chris Carpenter a nice lead to work with. Instead, he flied out to left field to end the inning and strand three runners.

Albert is human after all. This frustrating 3-2 loss proved it really IS possible to retire him in a critical game situation.

At least Thursday's failure eased the suspicions of Los Angeles Times sportswriter Jerry Crowe, who recently wrote this:

"Thanks to (Manny) Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, etc., fans outside St. Louis must wonder, 'Do we celebrate Albert Pujols or suspect him?' . . .

"Pujols has batted four times with the bases loaded this season and three times has hit grand slams. . . .

"In his only other at-bat with the bases loaded, the St. Louis Cardinals slugger delivered only a two-run single. . . .

"Sadly, it makes you wonder. . . ."

Really? You wonder about Albert even though nobody can remember him being skinny? Even though he demonstrated tremendous power at the Fort Osage High School and Maple Woods Community College?

As an American Legion player in the Kansas City area, he set a record by hitting 35 homers to go with his .593 batting average and 124 RBI.

You wonder about him even though he hit from Day One of professional career, starting in low Class A ball?

At Peoria back in 2000, he hit 32 doubles, six triples and 17 homers in 395 at bats. He drove in 84 runs before moving up to Class A Potomac and Class AAA Memphis before season's end.

You wonder about Albert even though his major league career has featured no appreciable statistical deviation? You wonder about him even though he is precisely the same hitter today as he was back in 2001?

It is one thing to wonder aloud about big league hitters who enjoy sudden power surges, remake their bodies in mid-career and/or add significant power later in their 30s. It's another to pick at a guy who has played at the same high level since breaking in.

Here are Pujols' home run totals for his eight full seasons: 37, 34, 43, 46, 41, 49, 32 and 37.

Here are Albert's RBI totals during the first eight years of his career: 130, 127, 124, 123, 117, 137, 103 and 116.

His 26 homers so far this season are notable, but much of that can be attributed to off-season surgery to alleviate some of his elbow pain.

(A partially torn ligament remains, but he deals with that discomfort. It would be interesting to see how well he could hit if he ever got that repaired.)

As for Albert's perfection with the bases loaded earlier this season, that was an anomaly. And here is another anomaly: With runners in scoring position with two outs, Pujols is just 1 for 14 this season.

Funny, isn't it, how some numbers are suspicious and others are not?

What we know for sure is this: Albert hasn't tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs since Major League Baseball put its long-overdue program in place.

He has also taken a very strong public stance against PED abuse, something more ballplayers should do. Steroid abuse, he claims, would violate his faith.

So unless you have a legitimate reason to believe otherwise, can't you all just take Albert at his word?

walterfredo

The lady I were in Chicago last week and caught the Cubs. vs. White Sox at Wrigley....just wanted to say how fucking awesome it is going to games at Wrigley.  The game last thursday absolutely kicked ass.  The crowd was off the charts, and seeing the whole Cubs vs. White Sox fans intensity was just awesome.  When the cubs came back to tie in the bottom of the 8the the place exploded....I've never seen that level on intensity at a regular season baseball game, then the debauchery that followed in Wrigleyville was a blast...raged it hard at the Full Schilling post game with a bunch of friends.  People were doing some serious sport-drinking.  So much fun!

.Walt

QuoteThe lady I were in Chicago last week and caught the Cubs. vs. White Sox at Wrigley....just wanted to say how fucking awesome it is going to games at Wrigley.  The game last thursday absolutely kicked ass.  The crowd was off the charts, and seeing the whole Cubs vs. White Sox fans intensity was just awesome.  When the cubs came back to tie in the bottom of the 8the the place exploded....I've never seen that level on intensity at a regular season baseball game, then the debauchery that followed in Wrigleyville was a blast...raged it hard at the Full Schilling post game with a bunch of friends.  People were doing some serious sport-drinking.  So much fun!

I'm sure you posted it before, but is one of the Chicago teams, your team? It didn't sound like it. I think that would be the best, more of a observer of the madness type of thing. Sounds like you had a great time!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

BH

Even this Cardinal fan will admit that Wrigley is a magical place.

capt. scotty

god damn Andre Ethier on my bench  >:(
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons