Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taterbug

QuoteWith all the craziness going down on the forums I figured now would be a good time to post one of baseball's all time great tirades. I didn't see it anywhere else on here. It's ex Cubs manager Lee Elia's tirade from '83 after the team got off to a 5-14 start. It's pretty classic.

http://www.jayssite.com/audio/leeelia.html

Yo Foxtrot !!!!   Do you think it's to early for World Series talk ?
That is one of the best tirades in sports history.
GO WHITE SOX     :)
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Taterbug

QuoteToday is the first day of my adult life that I can say this without shame - I am (and have been since the start) a fan of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (but, I will not drop the devil).

I am happy to see them win some games,  If you run into the other fan let me know, he's out there somewhere  :)
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

bowl of soup

Watch it tough guy, I'll get my friends on you:

I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Taterbug

;D  Are you kidding me ?   is he back ?    

How about Clemens having ( allegedly ) a 10 year affair with that country  music star ?   He meat her when she was 15 years old.  :o

bowl of soup

Quote;D  Are you kidding me ?   is he back ?    

How about Clements having ( allegedly ) a 10 year affair with that country  music star ?   He meat her when she was 15 years old.  :o

That's an old picture (those were the worst baseball uniforms ever); Jose may no longer play, but Jose will never go away.

Roger is man of great integrity; I mean what 28 year-old man wouldn't become close friends with a 15 year-old you see singing karaoke?

ycartrob

(those were the worst baseball uniforms ever)

I dunno

Foxtrot76

QuoteWith all the craziness going down on the forums I figured now would be a good time to post one of baseball's all time great tirades. I didn't see it anywhere else on here. It's ex Cubs manager Lee Elia's tirade from '83 after the team got off to a 5-14 start. It's pretty classic.

http://www.jayssite.com/audio/leeelia.html

Yo Foxtrot !!!!   Do you think it's to early for World Series talk ?
That is one of the best tirades in sports history.
GO WHITE SOX     :)

hahaha yeah I think it's a little too early. Pretty sweet that both teams are in first place after a full month!

GO CUBS!

Taterbug

The Stros had some heinous uni's also.

I can't get to excited about the White Sox, I'm waiting for Ozzy to start shootin his mouth off and destroy  the team chemistry.   I just don't think they have the arms to carry them into september and october.  Time will tell.  The Cubbies on the other hand look AWESOME.

.Walt

jelly, what are you thinking about the team so far? we're looking for the 2 game sweep of the sox!!!! (a sweep is a sweep!)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

peanut butter puddin surprise

I dunno, these butter colored uniforms the Pirates used to wear are pretty bad too...

As for the White Sox, it's early but I'm hoping we can hang on and continue to win the games like they've been winning them recently (except for last night) sob sob....
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

BH

GO CUBS!

Looks like the pitching match ups worked out pretty good for my birds this weekend.  You guys could be 3-4 games back by Monday! ;)

Friday       Wainright vs. Hill
Saturday   Lohse vs.  Lilly
Sunday     Wellemeyer vs. Marquis

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jaimoe

Is there a better pitcher in baseball than Blue Jays ace Roy Halladay this season? No, and you'd be a fool to go by his win-loss record which is 2-4.

Last night Roy throws a complete game 5-hitter and loses to Boston 1-0. The Jays once again couldn't get any hits and run-support for hard-luck Halladay. Last night was Roy's fourth complete game of the season... and FOURTH IN A FUCKING ROW!!

Most starters in this coddled relief-happy baseball era would be happy with one CG for a season. Roy's good for 10 or more a year when he's healthy. Oh yeah, he's already won a Cy Young and his ERA this season is 3.26. I've watched him pitch virtually every game of his career and right now, he's better than I've ever seen him. Win-loss records are deceiving, but I still expect Roy to win 20 games this year or more. He competes until the end.

BH

QuoteIs there a better pitcher in baseball than Blue Jays ace Roy Halladay this season? No, and you'd be a fool to go by his win-loss record which is 2-4.

Last night Roy throws a complete game 5-hitter and loses to Boston 1-0. The Jays once again couldn't get any hits and run-support for hard-luck Halladay. Last night was Roy's fourth complete game of the season... and FOURTH IN A FUCKING ROW!!

Most starters in this coddled relief-happy baseball era would be happy with one CG for a season. Roy's good for 10 or more a year when he's healthy. Oh yeah, he's already won a Cy Young and his ERA this season is 3.26. I've watched him pitch virtually every game of his career and right now, he's better than I've ever seen him. Win-loss records are deceiving, but I still expect Roy to win 20 games this year or more. He competes until the end.

It's funny, last night on Sportscenter, they mentioned that he has four complete games in a row, and it's like "Wow, that's amazing" and then they say jokingly that he is only 51 shy of the record!   55 complete games in a row!  Yes, I would say we are in a different era of baseball, eh?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

Don't get mad but this is how I would rank pitchers based on who I would most like to have on my team right now.

1. Jake Peavy
2. Brandon Webb
3. Tim Lincecum
4. Roy Halladay
5. Cole Hamels

Jaimoe

QuoteDon't get mad but this is how I would rank pitchers based on who I would most like to have on my team right now.

1. Jake Peavy
2. Brandon Webb
3. Tim Lincecum
4. Roy Halladay
5. Cole Hamels

Keep in mind Halladay doesn't get the profile and most importatly the hype he deserves south of the border. If he played for the Red Sox or even was on U.S. based team, I bet he'd rank a lot higher than 4th on your list. He's also one year younger than Peavy with 35 CG's since his rookie year of 1998. He has a Win-Loss record of 113-59 and he normally leads or is in the top with IP and ERA. His total "Innings Pitched" is 1611.3 and has a career 3.62 ERA. The Jays are not a shitty team by any stretch. They have arguably the best starting pitching staff in the AL, but their bats are fucking silent so far this season. Still, they are a legitimate threat to win the East.

bowl of soup

QuoteDon't get mad but this is how I would rank pitchers based on who I would most like to have on my team right now.

1. Jake Peavy
2. Brandon Webb
3. Tim Lincecum
4. Roy Halladay
5. Cole Hamels

Keep in mind Halladay doesn't get the profile and most importatly the hype he deserves south of the border. If he played for the Red Sox or even was on U.S. based team, I bet he'd rank a lot higher than 4th on your list. He's also one year younger than Peavy with 35 CG's since his rookie year of 1998. He has a Win-Loss record of 113-59 and he normally leads or is in the top with IP and ERA. His total "Innings Pitched" is 1611.3 and has a career 3.62 ERA. The Jays are not a shitty team by any stretch. They have arguably the best starting pitching staff in the AL, but their bats are fucking silent so far this season. Still, they are a legitimate threat to win the East.

We got your boy when we swept you prior to sweeping the Red Sox, but I'll agree that he's in the conversation as the game's #1.

Laugh about the Rays at your own peril.  Consider this:  We've done what we've done so far without an inning from Kazmir and only 3 starts from our # 3 Garza, Pena's hitting below the Mendoza line, and we've had 10 differeny guys on the DL.  Kazmir comes back this weekend and we have a real tough choice to make about who leaves the rotation and our minor league system is brimming with top-notch pitching prospects.

Not only will we be good this year - we have a 10 year run in us.  Our core players are all young and locked up for many years to come and while Kazmir and Shields will probably eventually pitch for the Yankees and Red Sox, we have more depth at SP than any other team in baseball.

Jaimoe

I think the "Devil" Rays are really dangerous. I've thought that for two years. They need to move into that new park ASAP. Kazmir is a good up-and-coming star.

BH

I certainly don't take into account W-L record, because as you mentioned, it has a lot to do with the caliber of the team the pitcher plays for.   Haladay's career ERA is not quite as good as the others, but man I will say, when he's good, he's damn good.

How are Rolen and Eckstein (former Cardinals) doing?  Both great guys, hated to see them go.

Jaimoe

QuoteI certainly don't take into account W-L record, because as you mentioned, it has a lot to do with the caliber of the team the pitcher plays for.   Haladay's career ERA is not quite as good as the others, but man I will say, when he's good, he's damn good.

How are Rolen and Eckstein (former Cardinals) doing?  Both great guys, hated to see them go.

Don't forget Halladay has pitched against the Red Sox and Yankees for 9 years, and pitched well.

Rolen just got off the DL - he was on it since Spring Training. He's played in four games (I think, but it may be 3 or 5 - damned NHL playoffs has me distracted) and has been excellent.

Eck has been pretty good with the bat, but he single-handedly lost one game for the Jays with a brutal 2-run error in the last series and leads or is in the Top 3 in the AL at shortstop in errors. Utility infielder and fan favourite John McDonald is a better fielder by a mile - and makes incredible highlight reel plays - but he's been a light batter as a starter. How's Glaus doing? I heard he hit his first homerun recently. Rolen already has one HR in a couple of games back.

.Walt

Much Greater Than Science Fiction