Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.Walt

Quote from: Walts on Mar 08, 2011, 12:47 AM
I set up the fantasy baseball league. I'm not the biggest fan of starting threads, so if you think we need to, do it. I have it set to 10 teams, but I'm hoping we at least get an even number this year. The draft is Wednesday the 23rd at 6:30central. If the time doesn't work let us know as soon as you can.

Anyways, here's the info...

Yahoo, League ID: 136026, Password: baseball

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/register/joinprivateleague_league_select?.scrumb=

We need one more for 8. There's 2 people who weren't in it last year, and we still don't have 8. Who are the teams from last year that aren't in it this year?
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

Quote from: peafunk31 on Mar 11, 2011, 11:04 AM
Not feeling so awesome any more now that Chase Utley's injured knee is possibly screwed. Time will tell, I guess :(

That's too bad. Love Utley. But Micheal Young will be a good 2B replacement for the Phils.

peafunk31

Quote from: Walts on Mar 13, 2011, 03:48 PM
Not feeling so awesome any more now that Chase Utley's injured knee is possibly screwed. Time will tell, I guess :(

That's too bad. Love Utley. But Micheal Young will be a good 2B replacement for the Phils.

He definitely would be an excellent replacement. It's the $16M contract that would be tough for the Phils to swallow
Homer no function beer well without.

Ruckus

Quote from: peafunk31 on Mar 14, 2011, 09:43 AM

He definitely would be an excellent replacement. It's the $16M contract that would be tough for the Phils to swallow

Oh c'mon!  You guys are loaded with cash.  Plus you can use all the money you saved by not resigning chin pubes.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

peafunk31

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 14, 2011, 02:11 PM
Quote from: peafunk31 on Mar 14, 2011, 09:43 AM

Oh c'mon!  You guys are loaded with cash.  Plus you can use all the money you saved by not resigning chin pubes.

Since when did the Phils become the Yankees? :o But you have a point. Citizens Bank Park has sold out for like 3 years straight.

And don't get me started on "chin pubes"! I'm a HUGE Werth fan & it was pretty sad to see him go. But I can't blame him, he got an ass-load of $. And to add insult to injury, his replacement, Dominic Brown, fractured his hand & is out for 4-6 weeks. I guess the only thing that could make up for this mess is having a wicked pitching staff.......oh wait :P

Ruckus

OK Beer, I think I'm coming around to the possibility of a successful Cubbie campaign against all my best judgment because I am such a dumb optimist.  I think we'll still struggle to score runs at times but if this Zambrano resurgence is for real, the rotation becomes a strength along with what I believe to be a real good bullpen.  With Greinke's injury, Marcum's health being a question mark, the Reds' OK rotation and Wainwright's sad plight, the possibility is there.  May the pieces all fall into place.

Also, do you or peafunk or anyone else want to play some fantasy baseball with some friendly forumites?

peafunk31

I appreciate the offer, Ruckus. But fantasy baseball is way too involved for me. I'm taking on a ton more responsibilty at work & I doubt I'll have time for all the roster switching & upkeep that fantasy baseball requires. Good luck & have fun all! :thumbsup:

.Walt

Where the fuck is the Bad Motherfucker? Sign in player!

Jon T.

Quote from: Walts on Mar 15, 2011, 07:30 PM
Where the fuck is the Bad Motherfucker? Sign in player!

Man, I tried baseball once and I completely dropped the ball on it. 

pawpaw

It looks like we still need one more player to make it 8!

Alright, I've got some noob questions on the league. I think I understand how the head-to-head format works, but out of our complete roster (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL), how many players do we start each week? I guess I'm most unsure of the pitchers. Also, the 30 inning minimum...is this the required number of innings that our combined, starting pitching staff must surpass each week? What happens if we don't hit it?
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

sweatboard

anyone play MLB 11 The Show on ps3? we could set up a little tournament or something.
There's Still Time.........

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: bbill on Mar 18, 2011, 12:49 PM

Alright, I've got some noob questions on the league. I think I understand how the head-to-head format works, but out of our complete roster (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL), how many players do we start each week? I guess I'm most unsure of the pitchers. Also, the 30 inning minimum...is this the required number of innings that our combined, starting pitching staff must surpass each week? What happens if we don't hit it?

I have no idea about any of your questions, but if you need one more guy, shoot me a message
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

pawpaw

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Mar 18, 2011, 02:59 PM

I have no idea about any of your questions, but if you need one more guy, shoot me a message

PM sent.  8)

The DARK

Quote from: Walts on Mar 13, 2011, 03:42 PM
I set up the fantasy baseball league. I'm not the biggest fan of starting threads, so if you think we need to, do it. I have it set to 10 teams, but I'm hoping we at least get an even number this year. The draft is Wednesday the 23rd at 6:30central. If the time doesn't work let us know as soon as you can.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/register/joinprivateleague_league_select?.scrumb=

We need one more for 8. There's 2 people who weren't in it last year, and we still don't have 8. Who are the teams from last year that aren't in it this year?

Mind if I step in? I'm going to be following my Reds quite obsessively this year, and might as well put it to use.
In another time, in another place, in another face

.Walt

Quote from: The DARK on Mar 18, 2011, 08:41 PM

Mind if I step in? I'm going to be following my Reds quite obsessively this year, and might as well put it to use.

Yeah sign up. We shouldn't have a problem finding one more to get to 10. 10 teams would be better. I take it you'll be drafting the Reds players early and often.

Also, whoever is Dykstras Accountants, sweet name! Anytime Lenny is mentioned it brings a smile to my face. Then I think of his smile with a big fucking chaw in  8)

.Walt

It's better you ask questions before the draft, so you don't get fucked over after the draft.

It's more of a daily thing (or thang) rather than a weekly thing. I usually set my roster three days in advance. You'll just have to keep an eye on your starting pitchers. There's an icon telling you that they're the probable starter for the day. The icon is there about 3 or 4 days in advance. So you wanna check your team 2 or 3 times a week. You'll wanna make sure some of your bench spots are SP's. If you don't get the 30 innings you'll lose all the pitching categories, but that never happens. It's just there to punish people for not doing their roster, and it keeps people from benching their pitchers if their first pitcher of the week does great. If that makes any sense?

pawpaw

Quote from: Walts on Mar 21, 2011, 02:21 AM

It's better you ask questions before the draft, so you don't get fucked over after the draft.

It's more of a daily thing (or thang) rather than a weekly thing. I usually set my roster three days in advance. You'll just have to keep an eye on your starting pitchers. There's an icon telling you that they're the probable starter for the day. The icon is there about 3 or 4 days in advance. So you wanna check your team 2 or 3 times a week. You'll wanna make sure some of your bench spots are SP's. If you don't get the 30 innings you'll lose all the pitching categories, but that never happens. It's just there to punish people for not doing their roster, and it keeps people from benching their pitchers if their first pitcher of the week does great. If that makes any sense?

Not yet...let me back up. The way our league roster positions are listed, I would assume that we start the following positions every week: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P. If that assumption is correct, then I've got 8 pitchers that I need to start each week? Or maybe what I'm missing is that even though we're in a week-long matchup against one other person, I can shift players in and out of my starting, 8-pitcher roster during that week? And then the 30-innings thing...so, every day we have to have a combined 30 innings of pitching? That seems like a lot to sustain for every day of the season.

I'm sure I'll catch on once the league is up and running, and that these questions probably seem pretty dumb right now. Don't worry about trying to put too much time into answering these.  ;D

Hey, Dark, jump into the league!

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Walts on Mar 21, 2011, 02:08 AM
Quote from: The DARK on Mar 18, 2011, 08:41 PM

Yeah sign up. We shouldn't have a problem finding one more to get to 10. 10 teams would be better. I take it you'll be drafting the Reds players early and often.

Also, whoever is Dykstras Accountants, sweet name! Anytime Lenny is mentioned it brings a smile to my face. Then I think of his smile with a big fucking chaw in  8)

;)
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Ruckus

Hey Walts, I think I mentioned it before but I can't do 7:30 Eastern.  Could you please push the draft back to 8 or even 8:30 if possible?  Thanks either way.

Hey Braden.  You can and will want to change your lineup every day, particularly your pitching staff.  You only need 30 total innings for the week.  As Walts said, as you scroll through the upcoming days, there will be a carrot (^) next to your starting pitcher that is scheduled to start that day.  You would want to put him in for that date if you like the matchup.  The innings limit I guess was instituted to punish slacking managers but I know in h2h formats managers that will punt K's and Wins for saves, era and whip and draft nothing but great middle relievers late in the draft while loading up on offense early.  The 30 inning minimum acts as a deterrent for that kind of strategy as well.

.Walt

The draft is changed to 8:30Eastern. We need one more. Headdy should just be in it. Are we playing for $20 again? If not, then Headdy you better play. Or if anyone else wants in that's reading this...sign up! We need yah. I can get someone to play if need be, but rather keep it to just forum members.