Foodies Unite!

Started by talleshortz, Nov 21, 2009, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Any foodies out there?  Great restaurant experiences?  I'm off to Philly tonight to eat at Morimoto's.  I haven't been there since the year it opened and am really looking forward to it.  Here's a glance at my meal at Alinea from 2 years ago.  Probably my best meal I've had.  Did the tour which ended up being around 27 courses and took around 5 hours with drinks.

The signed menu from Chef Achatz was nice :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Sassbox

Nice pics...thanks for sharing.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Japanese cuisine (or most Asian cuisine, in general) despite being half Asian.  I'm even more embarrassed to admit that a few years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting and dining with Chef Morimoto at his restaurant in Philadelphia.  My former roommate is a professor at the CIA in Hyde Park and they worked together on a project for Iron Chef.  We had a specially prepared meal that was completely wasted on me since I spent the bulk of the evening worried about what it was I was putting in my mouth.  :-[
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

AMightyCaporal

I feel like that kind of dinning would be lost on me-  I'm one of those people who just wants a big bowl of pasta or a cheese burger or buffalo chicken sandwich.

Really beautiful though- they look more like sculptures than meals.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Ruckus

QuoteNice pics...thanks for sharing.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Japanese cuisine (or most Asian cuisine, in general) despite being half Asian.  I'm even more embarrassed to admit that a few years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting and dining with Chef Morimoto at his restaurant in Philadelphia.  My former roommate is a professor at the CIA in Hyde Park and they worked together on a project for Iron Chef.  We had a specially prepared meal that was completely wasted on me since I spent the bulk of the evening worried about what it was I was putting in my mouth.  :-[

Bummer Sass!  I would have cherished the opportunity to meet Chef Morimoto.  While his celebrity status and proliferation of his new restaurants have become somewhat offputting, I love to celebrate a Japanese chef who has mastered much of the motherland's traditions while pushing the boundaries of that cuisine.

Speaking to someone who has NEVER tried something he didn't like so much that he wouldn't eat it, it's hard for me to understand the fear of trying foods.  The odder the dish, the more exciting.

Ruckus

QuoteI feel like that kind of dinning would be lost on me-  I'm one of those people who just wants a big bowl of pasta or a cheese burger or buffalo chicken sandwich.

Really beautiful though- they look more like sculptures than meals.

I think everyone is one of those people.  Man there's nothing I love more than a good burger :)

I don't know man.  I have friends that say similar things to me but it's no different than any art.  The foundation has to be there to understand what you are consuming, but in the end, it's all about whether it tastes good or not.

The interactive eating aspect of this restaurant adds to the already spectacular visual presentation and flavor profiles.

Sassbox

Truth be told, I'm not a big meat eater (don't eat poultry/fowl at all and very limited beef and pork).  I also don't eat any fish, so I'm somewhat limited in terms of how far I can adventure with my palate.  But I love to cook and I certainly have respect and admiration for the artistry of chefs of Morimoto's level.

Enjoy your dinner, Ruckus!

capt. scotty

you must be a baller Ruckus...that looks expensive  :o

Im with you AMC  ;D

Most of those look fairly tempting and I be interested in seeing what they taste like though.....The 1 thing that struck me odd though: whats up with the bacon hanging by a wire? Does hanging it mean it costs 5$ more?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

jones

One of my most memorable dining experiences was at Windows On The World on the 106th/107th floor of the WTC North Tower, NYC.  This was the view:

aMillionDreams

I don't know if you'd call me a foodie.  I'm what you might call a home cook.  I like to do everything I can from scratch including bread, jams and jellies, pasta, deserts, and most meals.  I also try to do everything organic and from sustainable sources.  I try to get things from as close to my house as possible (preferable from my own garden), and I try to avoid foods that come from factory farms altogether.  I think what most Americans eat is straight junk, but I've never eaten a meal like that one, Ruckus.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

pawpaw

Great thread Ruckus! Though I hate the term and (generally) the attitudes that those who wear it carry, I'm sure that others would probably call me a foodie. There are not many other experiences I'd rather spend good money on than an exceptional meal. My wife and I ate out a lot when we lived in San Francisco...some of my favorite restaurants down there for special dinners are La Folie, Acquerello, Jardiniere, Incanto and Zuni Cafe. And of course, French Laundry up in Napa Valley is amazing. Even the neighborhood bistros in SF put the top restaurants in most other US cities to shame - it's an amazing food town, and has made me into an unbelievable food snob.  ::)

I love to cook too, though between work and baby, finding a chunk of time to work out a recipe has been pretty rare these days.

Hey, have fun at dinner Ruckus! Those are great pictures!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Ruckus

QuoteI don't know if you'd call me a foodie.  I'm what you might call a home cook.  I like to do everything I can from scratch including bread, jams and jellies, pasta, deserts, and most meals.  I also try to do everything organic and from sustainable sources.  I try to get things from as close to my house as possible (preferable from my own garden), and I try to avoid foods that come from factory farms altogether.  I think what most Americans eat is straight junk, but I've never eaten a meal like that one, Ruckus.

That's real cool man.  Living smack in the city with a shared tiny courtyard in the shade, I can't even grow my own herbs in pots.  The good thing is we have local farmers' markets nearby weekly.  I wish I had the discipline to be a locavore and sustainability guy but that would deprive me of so much stuff that I love.  It's I guess a guilty indulgence of mine.

Ruckus

QuoteGreat thread Ruckus! Though I hate the term and (generally) the attitudes that those who wear it carry, I'm sure that others would probably call me a foodie. There are not many other experiences I'd rather spend good money on than an exceptional meal. My wife and I ate out a lot when we lived in San Francisco...some of my favorite restaurants down there for special dinners are La Folie, Acquerello, Jardiniere, Incanto and Zuni Cafe. And of course, French Laundry up in Napa Valley is amazing. Even the neighborhood bistros in SF put the top restaurants in most other US cities to shame - it's an amazing food town, and has made me into an unbelievable food snob.  ::)

I love to cook too, though between work and baby, finding a chunk of time to work out a recipe has been pretty rare these days.

I hate the term too but it is what it is ::).  You are lucky to live where you do.  It's why I miss Chicago so much, just for it's amazing restaurant scene.

I hope that one day I can find the means to make it to the French Laundry.  When did you go there?  Heck, Achatz from Alinea above may have been the Chef de Cuisine when you went there.

You're not a food snob as long as you eat everything and anything. ;)

Sassbox

Speaking of local, sustainable sources...have you eaten at Woodberry Kitchen yet, Ruckus?  Good grief, that place is amazing.  If you're willing to eat early, you can usually get a 5 or 5:30 reservation without a long wait.

Ruckus

Quoteyou must be a baller Ruckus...that looks expensive  :o

Im with you AMC  ;D

Most of those look fairly tempting and I be interested in seeing what they taste like though.....The 1 thing that struck me odd though: whats up with the bacon hanging by a wire? Does hanging it mean it costs 5$ more?

Expensive, yes.  Baller, no ;D

Like BB, there is nothing I'd rather spend my limited funds on then a good meal and travel.  Otherwise, I have a rather spartan lifestyle of Ramen Noodles, Natty Boh and Early Times ;D  (seriously)

Ruckus

QuoteSpeaking of local, sustainable sources...have you eaten at Woodberry Kitchen yet, Ruckus?  Good grief, that place is amazing.  If you're willing to eat early, you can usually get a 5 or 5:30 reservation without a long wait.

Actually I haven't.  I keep putting it on my list of places to eat but it's always usurped by some other place.  I will get there soon I hope.

I used to live 2 minutes from there when I lived in Hampden and now am still right there.  It's literally a minute from the disc golf course I play every week.

pawpaw

QuoteGreat thread Ruckus! Though I hate the term and (generally) the attitudes that those who wear it carry, I'm sure that others would probably call me a foodie. There are not many other experiences I'd rather spend good money on than an exceptional meal. My wife and I ate out a lot when we lived in San Francisco...some of my favorite restaurants down there for special dinners are La Folie, Acquerello, Jardiniere, Incanto and Zuni Cafe. And of course, French Laundry up in Napa Valley is amazing. Even the neighborhood bistros in SF put the top restaurants in most other US cities to shame - it's an amazing food town, and has made me into an unbelievable food snob.  ::)

I hate the term too but it is what it is ::).  You are lucky to live where you do.  It's why I miss Chicago so much, just for it's amazing restaurant scene.

I hope that one day I can find the means to make it to the French Laundry.  When did you go there?  Heck, Achatz from Alinea above may have been the Chef de Cuisine when you went there.

You're not a food snob as long as you eat everything and anything. ;)

We went to the French Laundry about 3 years ago. Definitely an exceptional meal, one that no matter how high your expectations are going in, you'll still be surprised and completely satisfied with.

And I'm not saying my favorite food has to be expensive. Some of my all-time favorites are pastor tacos off the truck near my old train station in Oakland, biscuits and gravy from my favorite greasy spoon in my home town, and Dim Sum from a new favorite here in South Sac.

Here's a company that my friend owns and runs here in the Sacramento Valley:  http://www.cachecreekmeat.com/Home_Page.html
It ain't cheap, but it's a great product and he's doing well with a lot of area restaurants, upscale grocers and farmers markets. He's a grad of the California Culinary Academy, worked at a few great restaurants, definitely a food guy. I'm really proud of him.

We are pretty spoiled here in California food-wise though. It helps to offset the frustration caused by our inept political system.  ;D  
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

mjkoehler

I'm kinda of a foodie, however I'm most happy noshin on straight up diner food. Good old greasy spoon heaven.

Janet

Great thread.   I don't think I am a food snob, but I'd rather go without than eat crap.

I'm jealous of Ruckus. That is a restaurant I've been wanting to go to for a couple of years now.  The food is reported to be amazing (though I must say visually off putting).

BBill - have you gone to The Kitchen or Ella?  Both are amazing!    

aMillionDreams

Damn right, you're spoiled Bbill! I was getting stuff ready for my green bean casserole yesterday and was thinking, "If I lived in California this would be fresh AND local"  But alas, we've had a few hard frosts and we won't see fresh green beans again till May (unless they're shipped in from California)  >:(

P.S. Has anyone read the Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan?
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Sassbox

QuoteHas anyone read the Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan?

I have...fantastic book.