Foodies Unite!

Started by talleshortz, Nov 21, 2009, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucylew

Hitting L.A. a day early for the Wiltern shows.  Have reservations tomorrow night at Michael Voltaggio's Ink restaurant.  Looking forward to that!  Has anyone here been and have recommendations?

Ruckus

Quote from: lucylew on Sep 09, 2012, 10:41 PM
Hitting L.A. a day early for the Wiltern shows.  Have reservations tomorrow night at Michael Voltaggio's Ink restaurant.  Looking forward to that!  Has anyone here been and have recommendations?
How was it lucy?  My Bryan Voltaggio experience was rather underwhelming but I imagine Michael's to be much more exciting.

I spent the weekend learning 6 classic southern Indian dishes from my father that would probably be my final meal along with my mother's katsudon.  It's amazing that a completely vegetarian meal would be my favorite but it is.  It took about 8 hours to make idlis, dosas, masala potatoes, tomato chutney, coconut chutney and sambar but they all came out great.  I feel confident I can now replicate them without my father looking over my shoulder.  Having had all these at various southern Indian restaurants around the states, they don't come close to my father's versions. :cool:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

jaye

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
It took about 8 hours to make idlis, dosas, masala potatoes, tomato chutney, coconut chutney and sambar but they all came out great.  I feel confident I can now replicate them without my father looking over my shoulder.  Having had all these at various southern Indian restaurants around the states, they don't come close to my father's versions. :cool:

What a gift!  you are a lucky man. 

Ruckus

Quote from: jaye on Sep 19, 2012, 11:58 PM
It took about 8 hours to make idlis, dosas, masala potatoes, tomato chutney, coconut chutney and sambar but they all came out great.  I feel confident I can now replicate them without my father looking over my shoulder.  Having had all these at various southern Indian restaurants around the states, they don't come close to my father's versions. :cool:

You're so right Jaye.  My father was gravely ill two years ago and whenever I would visit him, I would learn a new dish or jot down some recipes that he as in an illegible, handwritten recipe book with recipes from my great grandmother.  Fortunately, he is doing very well right now. :smiley:  As any sociologist/cultural anthropologist will tell you, while language skills and mores may change and/or diminish rapidly between generations in immigrant families, food has the unique capacity to remain unchanged under the forces of assimilation.  Very much grateful for that.

Fully

I'm glad your father is doing well, Ruckus. And how good that the two of you are spending time together passing down recipes. That is one of the most heartwarming things I've heard in a long time. There's so much I wish I could have got from my father before he wasn't around anymore.

bluesky

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 20, 2012, 12:09 AM

You're so right Jaye.  My father was gravely ill two years ago and whenever I would visit him, I would learn a new dish or jot down some recipes that he as in an illegible, handwritten recipe book with recipes from my great grandmother.  Fortunately, he is doing very well right now. :smiley:  As any sociologist/cultural anthropologist will tell you, while language skills and mores may change and/or diminish rapidly between generations in immigrant families, food has the unique capacity to remain unchanged under the forces of assimilation.  Very much grateful for that.

i want to come over for dinner. when's good for you?

Ruckus

Quote from: bluesky on Sep 20, 2012, 10:12 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 20, 2012, 12:09 AM

i want to come over for dinner. when's good for you?
We've been through this.  Any time Val.  Bring your friend Mags along as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

lucylew

Hey Rob,

Ink was mostly hits with a couple of misses.  We did the tasting menu w/wine pairing.  (Noticing a trend with me?  :rolleyes:)   I appreciate molecular gastronomy and really liked the style of food at the restaurant.  My favorite course was probably the egg gnocci with mushrooms.  The gnocci were perfectly cooked cylindars - with a liquid egg yolk in the center.  Also notable was the dessert - and I'm not big on sweets.  I had an apple caramel dish with a scoop of smoked ice cream on top.  It had a faintly sweet/salty thing going on that I appreciate.  Misses were definitely the frozen vinegrette they put on our oysters and the veal cheek course.   The restaurant itself had a cool ambiance but was way too loud.  It was neat to actually see Michael in the kitchen.

I'm more interested in your indian recipes!  Sounds delish! 

pawpaw

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Ruckus

Quote from: bbill on Nov 14, 2012, 12:29 PM
High praise for Guy Fieri's new restaurant...  :grin:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html?_r=0
The only person I know that dislikes Mr. Fieri more than myself is my special ladyfriend.  Man does that no talent assclown wield a ton of power in the food world

exist10z

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 14, 2012, 01:14 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html?_r=0
The only person I know that dislikes Mr. Fieri more than myself is my special ladyfriend.  Man does that no talent assclown wield a ton of power in the food world

Dude is a d-bag, in all but the literal sense of the word.  Review couldn't have happened to someone more deserving.  To say he has no idea what good food is, is like saying Milli Vanilli has no idea what good music is...
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Fully

Quote from: exist10z on Nov 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 14, 2012, 01:14 PM

Dude is a d-bag, in all but the literal sense of the word.  Review couldn't have happened to someone more deserving.  To say he has no idea what good food is, is like saying Milli Vanilli has no idea what good music is...

You may enjoy this.... http://blog.collegehumor.com/post/35714263221/guy-fieri-responds-to-the-new-york-times-review-of-his

Penny Lane

does anyone have a good recipe for deep-frying a turkey? my dad and i are attempting it this year...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

peafunk31

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 14, 2012, 05:27 PM
does anyone have a good recipe for deep-frying a turkey? my dad and i are attempting it this year...

I don't have a recipe but make sure you fry that shit outside. Every year I read a blurb about some yahoo deep frying a turkey in their kitchen & damn near burning their house down. Don't become a Darwin Award, Penny!
Homer no function beer well without.

Fully

Quote from: peafunk31 on Nov 14, 2012, 08:08 PM

I don't have a recipe but make sure you fry that shit outside. Every year I read a blurb about some yahoo deep frying a turkey in their kitchen & damn near burning their house down. Don't become a Darwin Award, Penny!
Might I add that you should fry it as far away from anything that can catch on fire as well. I've watched too many youtube videos of people frying them close to their house and catching the house on fire. They are really good though. Good luck. I like that you are doing it with your dad. Make those memories while you can.

Jon T.

Do you know anything about it? I'm sorry if this is too detailed... 
First, to answer your question, my favorite injection is the Tony Chachere's Creole Style Butter Marinade.  But it's also fun to make your own.  anything that tastes good to you will taste good in the turkey.
Next, use Peanut Oil.  It's more expensive but doesn't burn as easy.
Some people brine them, but I've seen it turn them black from brining.  IMO, if you fry the turkey right, it doesn't need a brine.
3 minutes per pound is about perfect to fry.  you don't want to get the grease too hot because it'll burn it up, but you do want to get it hot enough so that when you drop the turkey in it doesn'd drop the temp wayyyy down.  I think around 425-450, that way when you drop it in, it'll pick back up and you want to fry it as close to 350 as possible.
Last and most importantly!!!!  Do the water displacement test first.  Put your frozen turkey in your pot.  Then fill the water on top of that.  you want to make sure the water does not get any closer than 3 inches or so from the top.  Then take the turkey out and wherever the water ends up, that is your fill line.  Mark it on the outside somehow and DO NOT fill your grease any higher than that.  That is how accidents happen, overfilling the grease.  Also, not a bad idea to turn the fire off completely when lowering the turkey in just to be extra precautious there isn't a spillover into the flame.

Jon T.

Let me clarify one thing, you don't have to fill it up to 3 inches from the top, but do not fill any higher than 3 inches from the top.  You just want enough to cover the bird with a little extra to make up for all oil it will absorb.

Last hint, keep the pieces with a lot of skin on them away from the others.  Keep these for yourself! mmmmmmmm

Penny Lane

thanks! yes, we're frying OUTSIDE and using Peanut Oil...thanks for the tips, Jon.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

manonthemoon

make sure the turkey is properly thawed and isn't frozen, that's how thing explode  :thumbsup:.
Alive or Just Breathing

Fully

I'm making Spaghetti with fried eggs and pangritata tonight. I just wanted to share that. I've found that lately I've been very interested in cooking things that have fried eggs in them: ramen, this. Actually now that I think about it, these are the only two things. I've just really been on a ramen and spaghetti with eggs kick lately. I'm planning on going to get good ramen while I'm in NYC during the Port Chester shows. If anyone has any good suggestions, please let me know. I think that's probably how I'm going to spend part of my day before I fly home on the 30th.