Foodies Unite!

Started by talleshortz, Nov 21, 2009, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Jamming out tonight with the plumpest juiciest blackberries that I just picked yesterday from the same place I get my blueberries!!!  Just used blackberries, maybe 2 TBS of the raw wild mountain honey, and squeezed juice out of a lemon.... smushed the blackberries with the bottom of a coffee mug (I don't yet have a potato masher down here yet!) and simmered it all down for about 25 mins or so..... now letting it coooool and gelllll.... with a copious amount of Grateful Dead while the Dead Hour plays on the local public radio.... the jammiest jam ever!!   8)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ALady

That sounds deeeelish...berries are so good right now!  I just found black raspberries at the farmers' market last weekend...man...tastes like childhood!   :thumbsup:
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

mjk73

The Vanilla Malted Milk with Whoppers bits Ice Cream I made couldn't have been more perfect. So so delicious.

woodnymph

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 25, 2011, 06:48 PM
The Vanilla Malted Milk with Whoppers bits Ice Cream I made couldn't have been more perfect. So so delicious.
I was just about to post about the coconut milk ice cream I just made, with honey!!  And fresh sliced peaches on it................... *wipes drool*

mjk73

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 25, 2011, 06:48 PM
I was just about to post about the coconut milk ice cream I just made, with honey!!  And fresh sliced peaches on it................... *wipes drool*
I'll take some of that as well!

mjk73

Working on a formula for pumpkin pie flavored Ice Cream. Hoping to churn it this weekend

Anyhoo, an amazing lunch today. Spicy Ginger pork with galion and seared noodles and a (large) side of chilled seasame noodles. I wish we can post pics direct to here instead of loaded to a secondary source. I needed to carb load and this sure as hell did it and put me in my happy place food wise. Fresh, clean, spicy, so damn delicious. Noodles were fresh, the pork was fresh as I say the guy cutting the tenderloin, veg in it was all fresh.  The waiter stared at me as I hoovered. There were moans coming from my table I'm sure.

edit this VVVV

the_wizzard

Most delish dinner tonight, courtesy of the reader contributed recipes in Sunset.  Black pepper tofu and green beans (which we have a plethera). 

Which made me think, would y'all be annoyed if I started a veggie foodies' thread?  I don't want it to be a place for bashing the diets of our lovely non-vegetarian forum members.  But a great place for anyone to find a nice veggie alternative, perhaps a side dish or maybe some of you participate in Meatless Monday. Or for us who don't eat meat, a place to share our favorite meals.  Would you contribute your fav veggie dishes, whether you are vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, omnivore or other?

woodnymph

Quote from: the_wizzard on Aug 26, 2011, 11:22 PM
Most delish dinner tonight, courtesy of the reader contributed recipes in Sunset.  Black pepper tofu and green beans (which we have a plethera). 

Which made me think, would y'all be annoyed if I started a veggie foodies' thread?  I don't want it to be a place for bashing the diets of our lovely non-vegetarian forum members.  But a great place for anyone to find a nice veggie alternative, perhaps a side dish or maybe some of you participate in Meatless Monday. Or for us who don't eat meat, a place to share our favorite meals.  Would you contribute your fav veggie dishes, whether you are vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, omnivore or other?

OH MY GOD WIZZARD!!!  PLEASE DO!!!  That would be so fantastic!!  I wouldn't feel like I was too in the way in a thread like that!!!  I can't believe I didn't see this suggestion til now, sorry to not back you up for so long!  I think it would be a great idea though, I was just coming on here to post about my creamy butternut squash soup I made last night!  Definitely go for it!!!  :D

mjk73

I've been obsessed the last few years with making the "perfect" fried egg sandwich. I used to live on the things as a kid. My mom only fried the egg and threw it on Wonder Bread with ketchup. Pretty typical/standard but no where near good enough anymore.

Well, the latest experiment may have been the winner. 2 eggs, and those yolks better be runny like molten gold dammit, seared ham with 1 chili of your choice (used a Serrano this time), fresh shredded cheese ideally sharp sharp sharp chedder, toasted bread or Eggos, and a sauce I made on the fly. Greek yogurt, ketchup, Lawrey's and a healthy portion of Cholula. Construction went: bread, sauce, egg, cheese, ham/chilies, sauce, egg, cheese, bread. This isn't going to win awards for looks (or health) and it's sloppier then really drunk sex to eat, but damnabit it's beyond good. I've had it with bread and with Eggos and the Eggos held up better. If you have a waffle maker that makes the 4 square waffles, that would work wonderfully as well as long as you can get the outside of the waffle crisp. Make an extra piece of toast to mop up the liquid yum left on the plate. Any other ingredient suggestions for this behemoth?

Penny Lane

Quote from: mjk73 on Sep 20, 2011, 12:31 PM
I've been obsessed the last few years with making the "perfect" fried egg sandwich. I used to live on the things as a kid. My mom only fried the egg and threw it on Wonder Bread with ketchup. Pretty typical/standard but no where near good enough anymore.

Well, the latest experiment may have been the winner. 2 eggs, and those yolks better be runny like molten gold dammit, seared ham with 1 chili of your choice (used a Serrano this time), fresh shredded cheese ideally sharp sharp sharp chedder, toasted bread or Eggos, and a sauce I made on the fly. Greek yogurt, ketchup, Lawrey's and a healthy portion of Cholula. Construction went: bread, sauce, egg, cheese, ham/chilies, sauce, egg, cheese, bread. This isn't going to win awards for looks (or health) and it's sloppier then really drunk sex to eat, but damnabit it's beyond good. I've had it with bread and with Eggos and the Eggos held up better. If you have a waffle maker that makes the 4 square waffles, that would work wonderfully as well as long as you can get the outside of the waffle crisp. Make an extra piece of toast to mop up the liquid yum left on the plate. Any other ingredient suggestions for this behemoth?

longest post EVER in the history of the internets about egg sandwiches..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Taterbug

That sounds amazing.   I do egg sandwiches also but I cook the egg over medium with microwaved bacon on toast then I take a kraft single and put it on top and take the egg pan ( while still hot ) and put over the open sandwich to melt the cheese and vuala. I stopped eating my eggs over easy because of my stache and beard.  Egg has staying power in the facial hair.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

mjk73

Quote from: Penny Lane on Sep 20, 2011, 01:14 PM

But you want one now don't you.

mjk73

Quote from: Taterbug on Sep 20, 2011, 01:39 PMEgg has staying power in the facial hair.
It's not called flavor saver for nothing.,

Ruckus

Nothing like a crusty yolk beard to make me wanna switch hit.  Yeah, did MJK even mention an egg sandwich?  I found it odd he'd post about his drunk sex moves in the foodies thread.

Here's one of my favorites:

Well toasted English Muffin
Hebrew National or Nathan's all beef dog butterflied and halved and pan seared/cooked on both sides
Over easy egg with liberal fresh cracked pepper only
Two thin dill pickle slices
Iceberg lettuce (or romaine) - u want water and crunch to balance the salt of the dog and pickles w/o having a overly flavorful green
My homemade mixture of ketchup and habanero sauce.  Just a really hot ketchup.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Crispy

Quote from: mjk73 on Sep 20, 2011, 01:58 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Sep 20, 2011, 01:14 PM

But you want one now don't you.

I don't even like eggs and now I want one of those monstrosities. On another note, if you like Cholula but would like to pay about 1/3 of the price, this stuff is great (also a great base for wing sauce):

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Taterbug on Sep 20, 2011, 01:39 PM

That sounds amazing.   I do egg sandwiches also but I cook the egg over medium with microwaved bacon on toast then I take a kraft single and put it on top and take the egg pan ( while still hot ) and put over the open sandwich to melt the cheese and vuala. I stopped eating my eggs over easy because of my stache and beard.  Egg has staying power in the facial hair.

I too love me some eggy sandwiches!  A family friend of ours recently gave me a sample of some of his homemade hot pepper sausage and I immediately thought to use it to make an egg sandwich.  So I made a sausage patty and cooked it up on the skillet.  I have those circular egg cookers to cook the eggs in and of course left the yolks good and runny.  I topped the eggs with some hot pepper cheese and I toasted an english muffin to complete the sandwich.  I have to say, this guy's sausage is to die for!  He's since given me more samples and I told him I would pay for his continued provision of his hot pepper sausage!   :D

mjk73

Anytime you can butterfly a hot dog or any sausage and cover it in an egg is a GREAT DAY. And Valentina sauce is great stuff also.

I make my own sausage. Since I butcher my own hog every year, it's a requirement. That way I know exactly what's in it. My sauage isn't made from lips and assholes neither.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 20, 2011, 02:04 PM
Nothing like a crusty yolk beard to make me wanna switch hit.  Yeah, did MJK even mention an egg sandwich?  I found it odd he'd post about his drunk sex moves in the foodies thread.

Here's one of my favorites:

Well toasted English Muffin
Hebrew National or Nathan's all beef dog butterflied and halved and pan seared/cooked on both sides
Over easy egg with liberal fresh cracked pepper only
Two thin dill pickle slices
Iceberg lettuce (or romaine) - u want water and crunch to balance the salt of the dog and pickles w/o having a overly flavorful green
My homemade mixture of ketchup and habanero sauce.  Just a really hot ketchup.

no breaded chicken cutlet?

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ALady

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 20, 2011, 02:07 PM
I have to say, this guy's sausage is to die for!  He's since given me more samples and I told him I would pay for his continued provision of his hot pepper sausage!   :D

Been there, my friend.  Been there.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Taterbug

I stopped eating sausage ( insert joke here ;) ).   I had a BAD experience with some Jimmydean once.  We were on our way to Bears game and we stopped for breakfast and I had some Jimmydean sausage patties.   Once we got back in the car I noticed my extremities starting to get hot and I started to feel weird. The next thing I know my wife starts freeking out when she looked at me like I was Rocky  Dennis.  My ears and lips started swelling to the point that my bottom lip split and started to bleed.  We pulled the car over and I won't go into any more detail in the foodies unit thread but I felt much better.   My wife said it was probably an ellergic reaction to the msg in the sausage.   That has happened to me 2 or 3 times since then and it was always from msg.

Sorry for the ramble. Slow day at work.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe