Dave Matthews Band Appreciation

Started by laylow82, Jul 27, 2008, 10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laylow82

im sure not every post in this thread is going to be postive, but i grew up listening to dmb in my high school years and early college as a hardcore fan until i branched out and discovered other music.  I think anyone who is a serious music fan has to appreciate the bands technicality as musicians and dave's amazing geniune songwriting and singing ablities.  

Hawkeye

I have to admit I haven't given them much of a chance.  Liked 'em in high school, just got annoyed with all the "Dave Slaves" in college...I'm seeing 'em with the Crowes at Alpine in a few weeks so maybe I'll be won over.  I can definitely see why people like DMB though, it just hasn't clicked with me yet
We could.

Salacious D

I thought I was having a mad case of deja vu and then I realized that I had read your thread on PT : )

Me thinks people will be a *lot* nicer to you here than there!
Because if there's one thing that goes well with shooting zombies it's a Dolly Parton cover-el chode

Jellyfish

I have seen them 3 times live...once at Ziggys back in the day before they were so popular.A great bunch of musicians.I hear a lot of hate towards them too but pay them no mind.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

ItStillJaimoe

I really like it when Dave collaborates with Tim Reynolds. He doesn't do it enough. However, I don't like some of the sounds created by his full-time bandmates, particularly saxophonist LeRoi Moore (get well soon) and violinist Boyd Tinsley. Their solos and accompaniment  drives me crazy. I agree though that Dave doesn't deserve the trash he often gets. One thing I really like is that Dave is becoming a more intriguing guitarist in his latter career. Carter is a monster behind the kit and Lessard, although cheesy looking, is a great bassist.  

Love Dogg

I just want to say, for the record, that I went to the DMB show last night at Slugger Field in Louisville, and I was very impressed.

My girlfriend is a fan and all of my friends are die-hards so I went for the sake of it, but also because they're all into MMJ for me.  I thought I could give a little back...plus Willie Nelson opened to boot!

To my surprise, I was very blown away at the presence and light show and instrumentation of the different members of the band.  High energy and good timing, but still a little indifferent about some of the songs.  I won't go on about what I don't like here...I just wanted to give some props.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

slimkim

just before my love affair with jacket, dave was it for me. seen them numerous times over the years and simply put... they make great music and perform a great live show. the sound that they produce is unique and incredible songwriting skills. his lyrics are deep and true...

progress takes away what forever took to find...

they just spoke to me like jim does. as a matter of fact #41 from a dave and tim show was my wedding song. i am seperated now but that is neither here nor there.

also if you ever get a chance to see them up close as in the first 5 rows, it's like nothing else. pure.

but this year will be first year in over 10 years that i will not see them. i had 2nd row for the va beach show next week but sold them to buy tickets to see the boys...

it is also worthy to note that it is dave's label that mmj signed with. 1st major label. so dave knows the talent...

slim i am

there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

laylow82

yeah theres a show on archive.org where dave introduces mmj and says he was blown away after hearing It Still Moves and after seeing them live he was blown away even more.  

Hawkeye

Ok so I saw DMB at Alpine Valley this Saturday.  I have to say it was one of the best shows I've ever seen, mostly due to the guest performers Tim Reynolds and the sax player from Bela Fleck (Jeff Corwin I think?).  Wow can those guys play.  I think Tim may be the best guitar player I've ever seen live.  They were all great but those guys made it something special.  They did a great version of Pink Floyd's "Money."  Definitely go see them if Tim's along.
We could.

ItStillJaimoe

Bela's sax player is Jeff Coffin. Jeff Corwin is a television zoologist.

Hawkeye

QuoteBela's sax player is Jeff Coffin. Jeff Corwin is a television zoologist.

Uh yeah, what you said...oops  :-[  That is kinda funny though.  Anywho, yeah amazing show.  Go see Dave, Tim, Jeff and the boys.  The Black Crowes were disappointing, possibly due to lack of crowd enthusiasm and the fact that I was going to piss my pants (literally).  I wasn't smart enough to quit drinking an hour or so before we went in...d'oh!
We could.

bold99

I'm going to have to be the downer here.  I can't stand the guy.  Maybe its just the crowd too, but it seems like frat boy rock to me.  I used to go see DMB a bunch when I was younger but it was more of a social thing.  A lot of my friends were into it.  As time went on I really started to dislike the music.  Not to mention I went to see him in Hartford where there was riots.  Just a bunch of idiot frat kids fighting, burning stuff.  I agree tim, bela and jeff C are great musicians.  I do like the collaborations but it would take a lot for me to go see DMB these days.  
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

ItStillJaimoe

You aren't alone in your "frat boy" observation. It was accurate back in the early to mid days (when I saw DMB live).

ManNamedTruth

You can't really control the kind of fans you have. If you listen then there is nothing that really says "frat" about their music.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ItStillJaimoe

QuoteYou can't really control the kind of fans you have. If you listen then there is nothing that really says "frat" about their music.

That is somewhat true and the argument would make an interesting article. Traditional guitar bands normally attract more of a male audience just as poppy girl bands attract young girls. Gov't Mule's audience is 90% dudes. Why do so many under-age girls pass-out at Ben Harper concerts?

bold99

QuoteYou can't really control the kind of fans you have. If you listen then there is nothing that really says "frat" about their music.

I would disagree.....DMB plays that fine line between jam/top 40 hit type songs....Dave is a smart businessman...he knows what audience he's playing to.  Songs like Space Between and Crash into Me are going to draw those Frat types and their girlfriends.  I'd been to the shows.  I saw it and its part of what turned me off.  Their is a difference between that and Gov't type guy rock.  Actually a big difference.  You don't get drunk annoying kids at Mule shows.  You get drunk guys who are really into classic rock and guitar which I'll take anyday.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

slimkim

i feel that we have veered away from the truth. and that is they make good music.

so they made it big. we often get so turned off by small grassroots band that we see grow up that make it big. sell out, right? while some may sell out and it's in the name of money. maybe bad managers and agents. or just greed. but i don't think dave falls into that group. he and the band are humble folks that love making music. and it's great to see that they still can !!

so when you make it, you are going to attract a wider audience that doesn't really go for the music. i mean they do to a certain extent but it's to have a good time. and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. how they behave is another thing...

the obnoxious drunk college kid is annoying but look at the dead. in the late 90s they attracted the obnoxious bad tripping college kid, but we don't necessarily rag on the dead about that. it's all about perspective.

you can probably make the case with any other good band out there that is growing and making new fans. it's part of the journey. you are going to attract a lot of different people, listening and going to shows for different reasons but all somehow related to the music. it just becomes a matter of degree at that point...

so let's just enjoy the great music that is being made and played by great bands like dmb and of course --- my new love - my morning jacket.

i have a great anecdote to end my long winded preach... so i mentioned that i had 2nd row tix to dave this past thursday at va beach. i sold them to a fellow from nc. so he asked me if i was still going ( um yeah, like i had first row tix so i had to get rid of my 2nd row...) i said no. and told him i am stuck in this new band. he asked me about them and i played some tunes for him. he liked it.

so i just emailed about the show and he had a great time. loved the seats. i mean who wouldn't. btw i like how dave is doing peter gabriel covers. anyway, so i asked him if he bought any mmj. he said he did and likes them. so i told him then get yourself to one of the shows and enjoy some great music. i hope he does.

slim i am

what's so funny about peace love and understanding...

there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

thatswhatshesaid

i like a lot of dave's music. never seen him live because of the frat boy crowd though. he is an excellent musician and so is his band. i have to say i am shocked that no one mentioned his solo album "some devil." to date, i think the collaboration with trey anastasio and tim reynolds is the best thing he has ever done. i would love to see more stuff like that. maybe an album with jim singing and playing a couple tunes???? something to think about.

Penny Lane

i liked the first two albums but find his voice grating--i've never found anything about him that exciting--i don't even think hearing 'trippin billies' live would be exciting for some reason. i guess i would need to actually see a show to have more of an opinion but nonetheless
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill