Main Menu

Stone Roses

Started by thepennylaneNYC, Aug 22, 2008, 09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

just wanted to start an appreciation thread--anyone else a fan? (i'm assuming mjkoehler and dragonboy) i even pull out second coming now and again--their albums are timeless (IMO)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

DavidCrosby

...I really like them a lot, I got into them because I really enjoy the artist Jackson Pollock and the cover of their self titled record is just like one of his paintings so I decided to pick it up randomly and I loved it....I really love how they went nuts with the whole "Pollock" thing and their guitars and t-shirts were all in that pattern....now to the music, Elephant Stone is probably my favorite song on the record, I love the mix of indie/alternative with dance music, I love how a lot of bands in England were doing that around then and they were one of the bests....when I started to read about them, the clusterfuck that was their band was also something on appeal to me and I think that it made me enjoy the music more knowing just what kind of things were happening with them when they were making it....
listen to vinyl

Penny Lane

did you ever hear any of ian brown's solo stuff?

DavidCrosby

Quotedid you ever hear any of ian brown's solo stuff?

...my friends are really into techno and the only Ian Brown solo stuff I have ever heard were techno remixes....so pretty much no, is it any good?....they really like this one song with him in it and they were talking about Ian Brown and I got all excited that they meant The Stone Roses but alas more boring techno..... :P
listen to vinyl

mjkoehler

Oh you know me too well Penny. Mark is fan also, I believe.

Second Coming has aged very well in IMO. I'd even say it's aged better then the debut. I don't think its as weak people where saying it was when it came out. Both are brilliant. I luv the whole Madchester/Britpop scene, even though I hate those monikers. Makes me wish I lived in England in the 90's, if anything for the music scene(s). Maybe an appreciation thread for all of it? We have this and the Verve and Supergrass ones. We should have one for Pulp and Jarvis. I could also go on about my love for the Beautiful South, James, Happy mondays, Suede, Charlatons, Boo Radleys, Blur, Oasis, Verve, SuperGrass, Pulp, Stone Roses, Pulp, the La's and on and on but I might look like a bigger dork then I already do  :-[

Ian's solo stuff is something I need to get into. I think DB has his last one? It's been a while since I asked him about that.

I think I will now go turn off the Ramones and throw the Roses on in honor of this. That'll put me in a great mode for the rest of the work day.

MMJ_fanatic

I liked how these guys were both heavy and psychadelic all at once--very cool sound combination.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Penny Lane

MJ-i feel ya on the brit pop bands; i would also mention spiritualized w/that group. i also agree that about Second Coming--not sure why everyone felt they fell apart--they blamed it on ian's (and reni's?) coke habit-but i think that's a really terrific album that just reflects the time--the end of the 2 min pop song for them. fools gold is so awesome, ten storey love song is really pretty, etc...i'll always love sally cinnamon but i think they got better---as for the LAs--nice! remember CAST?? also, do you remember kirsty mccoll---you've heard her cover of 'thank you for the days'? wow--other than alison krauss--probably my favorite female singing  *what about later stuff like catatonia and stereophonics--

DC-you should definitely check out Unfinished Monkey business and Solarized (solarized came out a few years ago but sounds more like what your friends are saying/the fusion of the dance/indie) i am not an ian brown worshipper like many stone roses fans, but he has some good stuff on those albums. i haven't heard the others (try listening to 'corpses in their mouths' on itunes to get a feel of unfinished monkey business)

mjkoehler

I kinda lump some other bands that really came after the movement that are certainly influenced by all of them. Hell, you could even lump Shoegazing bands in. 'Tis a broad stroke.

I'd include more current bands such as: Clinc, Cooper Temple Clause, Hope Of The States, I Am Kloot (thanks again DB), Elbow, Razorlight, Maximo Park, Bloc Party, Sterophonics, Spiritualized

kirsty mccoll- Didn't she write Tracy Ulman's on hit?

CAST- I think I remember these guys. I have to check my old CD stash and what I ripped to my portable hard Drive. I have a ton of stuff I haven't touched in years.
Yeah, Fools Gold is so badass. Makes me wish I was actually talented at playing guitar and had a Wah pedal and could play that. Kinda goes with me thing from last night. I just gotta dance.

Soup Dragons?

DavidCrosby

QuoteDC-you should definitely check out Unfinished Monkey business and Solarized (solarized came out a few years ago but sounds more like what your friends are saying/the fusion of the dance/indie) i am not an ian brown worshipper like many stone roses fans, but he has some good stuff on those albums. i haven't heard the others (try listening to 'corpses in their mouths' on itunes to get a feel of unfinished monkey business)

...since today is Friday I will make my weekly trip to the used CD bins and look for some Ian Brown solo stuff...I have heard about Unfinished Monkey business but never looked into it anymore....

....since we are on the Brit pop thing and we all like Happy Mondays, what are peoples thoughts on Black Grape....I really like the first one (partially because it is the only I have/heard) I think the introduction of hip hop to the whole dance thing the Mondays had going works really well....Can You Feel The Power of the Lord????....
listen to vinyl

Penny Lane

ha ha Black Grape (and anything he did post HM) is insane...i remember when that came out--people were so pumped about it! the first one is listenable but not really my thing--i remember when he fired that band, too---wow-i'm old. i'm not even a huge happy mondays fan to be honest. (maybe cuz i never did coke lol?) i just can't get into that stuff--i like everything that followed though.

soup dragons, yeah--'free'--i only had that one album--!

have you ever heard the duet of cerys (from catatonia) and the guy from the band Space doing 'the ballad of tom jones'? GREAT song.

what about the manic street preachers? i LOVED that band--everything must go and this is my truth are such good albums--remember how the bass player just dissappeared and was never heard from again? they still haven't figured out what happened to him. they found his car but he basically vanished (Richey?)

mjkoehler

I forgot about the Manic Street Preachers.

DavidCrosby

Quoteremember how the bass player just dissappeared and was never heard from again? they still haven't figured out what happened to him. they found his car but he basically vanished (Richey?)

...wasn't he the guitar player?....
listen to vinyl

Penny Lane

Quoteremember how the bass player just dissappeared and was never heard from again? they still haven't figured out what happened to him. they found his car but he basically vanished (Richey?)

...wasn't he the guitar player?....

I cant really remember now! maybe ??

mjkoehler

Hey Penny, I did have Cast's debut which was great. Another others of their's worth checking out? Not sure why I do not have more (or if there is more to check out).

Penny Lane

QuoteHey Penny, I did have Cast's debut which was great. Another others of their's worth checking out? Not sure why I do not have more (or if there is more to check out).

i only have their first one (w/fine time and alright)--not sure about the others---in fact, i don't know what they did or what john powers did after that?? just one of those albums that came out at the perfect time. i don't know why i didn't listen to more either---do you like the coral? they're pretty good...kind of remind me of them for some reason

mjkoehler

QuoteHey Penny, I did have Cast's debut which was great. Another others of their's worth checking out? Not sure why I do not have more (or if there is more to check out).

i only have their first one (w/fine time and alright)--not sure about the others---in fact, i don't know what they did or what john powers did after that?? just one of those albums that came out at the perfect time. i don't know why i didn't listen to more either---do you like the coral? they're pretty good...kind of remind me of them for some reason
The Coral is another DB referral. We both like Alex Turner's side project The Last Puppet show and he said to try the Coral. He never steered me wrong.

dragonboy

I love both Stone Roses albums!!! Ian's solo albums are a little hit or miss...I only have a best of.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MarkW

I too love The Stone Roses.  Don't have any of Brown's solo stuff - it never really appealed to me.  To the lists of bands earlier who were around at the same time I would also add Inspiral Carpets, The Charlatans, The Bluetones, and Suede.

Also definitely check out The Seahorses, which was John Squire's project after the Stone Roses.  Their first (only?) album was great; more guitar-driven (quelle surprise) than the Roses, but with a groove too.

EDIT: I've just realised this was 20 years ago.  I feel old.  I am old!
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjkoehler

Tell me about it Mark. Looking at the ole calendar, I realized my 20 year reunion is rapidly approaching. ugh

Charlatans and Suede are great. Not familiar with the Inspiral Carpets and Bluetones.....damn, more music to check out.