Main Menu

New Okkervil River

Started by bearass, Sep 07, 2008, 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearass

anyone else pick this up? if you liked the stage names as much as i did then SHAZAM!!! youll like this one too

getinthevan

For some reason, despite the urging of many of my friends, I've never really checked out this band.  I saw part of their set at Lolla but I was coming off the high of having just seen Explosions in the Sky and I didn't feel like seeing anyone else right then.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

mjkoehler

I didn't think it was out until 9/9.

DavidCrosby

...isn't this record a sequel to The Stage Names, which I really enjoyed...I keep on missing them when ever they come around, I gotta see them live...
listen to vinyl

bearass

im gonna see them in lawrence on the 15th hopefully it will be good and yes it hink its a bunch of cuts that didnt make it on stage names

bearass

holy shit i guess it doesnt get released until the 9th,gotta love cd warehouse they hooked me up w evil urges a couple of days before the street date too

DavidCrosby

...an actual good review from something we like on the board from pitchfork, wow...

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/145288-okkervil-river-the-stand-ins
listen to vinyl

dragonboy

I don't have anything by Okkervil River but absolutely love Shearwater's Rook.

What are your fav Ok R albums?
Good place to start?

Thanks  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

bearass

my fav is black sheep boy but you really cant go wrong with any of it

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI don't have anything by Okkervil River but absolutely love Shearwater's Rook.

What are your fav Ok R albums?
Good place to start?

Thanks  :)

The Stage Names would be my vote.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

mjkoehler

Stage Names then Black Sheep Boy.

They are all good, but those are their 2 best.

Dee.

I haven't really listened to The Stand-Ins much yet. Or Rooks for that matter.

Lost Coastlines is a great song though, I have heard that one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKmZRO8XzyY

At first I thought Will was singing Jonathan's part. Tee hee, I was like "Whoa, Will, fannnnncy."