Phish to Reunite at Hampton in March

Started by AndreaJohnston, Oct 01, 2008, 09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_wizzard

By the way, how awesome is the wizzard?!?! I, for one, think that she's TOTALLY awesome :) I'm pretty sure she doesn't even live in Portland, but on Wiz(z)ard Island in Crater Lake.
Ah shucks  [smiley=rolleyes.gif], you are too kind!

*and props for noticing my hidden getaway at Crater Lake  ;)

capt. scotty

QuoteLet's hope that they avoid playing anything off of Round Room and Undermind. I also hope that they do some new material is support of an upcoming studio album. I'm not into Phish as a nostalgia act just yet.

Round Room wasn't bad, I never got into undermind though.

Both

46 Days
Seven Below

..are great live

call it a personal favorite, but I like Walls of the Cave a lot too

..they have too many ballads on RR which def hurts it bc the surrounders arent as strong. The diff between it and Farmhouse, is basically that Farmhouse kills on pretty much every song but the ballads. The ballads arent anything great, but Piper, Twist, then the trifecta of Jibboo, GBOT, and Heavy Things, shit..

no doubt Farmhouse is very good, and in retrospect awesome, but you really cant judge Phish by studio albums
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ItStillJaimoe

no doubt Farmhouse is very good, and in retrospect awesome, but you really cant judge Phish by studio albums

I agree with your comment to a point, however studio albums obviously present fresh material and give identity to a band's creative periods not to mention Phish, unlike The Dead, have put out a decent output of good albums from Junta, Picture of Nectar, Hoist, Billy Breathes and Farmhouse. Even the early albums I didn't mention are pretty good. There's nothing wrong with great live bands producing good studio albums - see The Allman Brothers - and Phish has proven that they can do just that, but Round Room and Undermind are spotty at best not to mention their tours in support of those albums were undermined by even spottier performances.

the_wizzard

QuoteLet's hope that they avoid playing anything off of Round Room and Undermind. I also hope that they do some new material is support of an upcoming studio album. I'm not into Phish as a nostalgia act just yet.

Round Room wasn't bad, I never got into undermind though.

Both

46 Days
Seven Below

..are great live

call it a personal favorite, but I like Walls of the Cave a lot too

..they have too many ballads on RR which def hurts it bc the surrounders arent as strong. The diff between it and Farmhouse, is basically that Farmhouse kills on pretty much every song but the ballads. The ballads arent anything great, but Piper, Twist, then the trifecta of Jibboo, GBOT, and Heavy Things, shit..

I really like Pebbles and Marbles  [smiley=happy.gif]

capt. scotty

I agree with your comment to a point, however studio albums obviously present fresh material and give identity to a band's creative periods not to mention Phish, unlike The Dead, have put out a decent output of good albums from Junta, Picture of Nectar, Hoist, Billy Breathes and Farmhouse. Even the early albums I didn't mention are pretty good. There's nothing wrong with great live bands producing good studio albums - see The Allman Brothers - and Phish has proven that they can do just that, but Round Room and Undermind are spotty at best not to mention their tours in support of those albums were undermined by even spottier performances.

Hah...kind of funny because outside of those last 2, I think that Hoist is my least favorite album. Its MUCH better than those 2, and Im a big fan of Julius, Axilla, and Wolfmans. DWDisease Ive played out I think, but wont argue with a live 1.

Im not a big Billy Breathes guy, but I will say its probably the most accessible, well put together and produced album theyve released. This is probably why it seems to be the casual phish fan's, or even people who dont like phish much, favorite.

That said, I think their 2 best albums are Lawn Boy and Story of a Ghost. Hard to put them over Junta and Nectar, but they are to me.

I think Story of a Ghost is commonly overlooked. To me, its almost like a more musically mature, better 'Billy', and I dont think this is a mistake since it was their next album.  It totally exemplifies their peak live years of 97-99 as a studio album with cuts like Ghost, Moma Dance, and Birds of a Feather (all some of my all time favorites). The sound they created with this album was the sound that identified them over the last 8 years of their live shows, and even transformed some earlier songs' sound. I cant talk about SoaG without mentioning Guyute - possibly their best epic song since YEM. Also, I find the slower songs on SoaG - Roggae, Velvet Sea, Brian and Robert, Frankie Says - superior to those on really any of their other albums.

Now to their masterpiece - Lawn Boy. I think if I were recommending someone to try Phish, this is where Id steer them. Not only does it contain every element of Phish before and after this point (outside of the funk from SoaG and there later career), but there isnt a weak song on this album, something I dont think you can claim about any other album. I think Run Like an Antelope, Reba, and Split Open and Melt are near the top of any Phan's list and they are on mine. The album opener, Squirming Coil, is a perennial set closer or encore cut, but succeeds here as well at the beginning. My Sweet One is one of the best bluegrass originals they play, Bouncing Around the Room presents their pop sensibilities at their finest, and Bathtub Gin as a whole might be the best the singular song that identifies who Phish 'is'.

Hard for me to say its better than Junta, but in 3 words, It Just Is.

I think youre overlooking those 2 Jaimoe.

"I get so overwhelmed..by olfactory hues"  8-)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

alexzbik

i think a stadium would be a bad idea but 1st show back as a festival would really make the most sense just b/c people wouldn't get shout out.

i kind of don't like the fact that they only announced this show before announcing the rest of the tour.  i understand a band like MMJ doing when they did the same thing this summer with Radio City show.  but MMJ is still an up and coming band and is still building a fan base.  Phish knew the demand would be there no matter what for the first show back.  If they announced the full tour maybe the demand for Hampton wouldn't be as much as it is.  As of last night there was over 80,000 requests for tix!!!!

Stolen as the war begun, this time your soul is my one.

Jaimoe

It Just Is.

I couldn't quote something that Phishhead-detailed, so forgive me for the grossly abbridged version above  :)

No, I wasn't overlooking those albums; I alluded to them. You proved my point that their studio albums are mostly good and important to their musical identity and legacy. My biggest fear is that they'll come back and be more like Undermind than Story Of A Ghost.

capt. scotty

It Just Is.

I couldn't quote something that Phishhead-detailed, so forgive me for the grossly abbridged version above  :)

No, I wasn't overlooking those albums; I alluded to them. You proved my point that their studio albums are mostly good and important to their musical identity and legacy. My biggest fear is that they'll come back and be more like Undermind than Story Of A Ghost.

Understood. While Round Room might have been sketchy, Undermind was just terrible. The only song I even think is decent on there was Song I hear the Ocean Sing.

Anyway, I know Trey and Tom Marshall had been writing songs but they didnt say if they would be Phish or Trey Band songs. I think most people didnt expect them to be back this fast after all of the quotes from band members only a few months ago, so who knows if they release an album or not before the summer tour.

That has yet to be seen, but since Trey is *hopefully* clean now, I think that and the band practicing like they used to will lead to consistently good shows.

That has yet to be seen as well, but I have my faith in the band that theyll be practicing like its 1995

alexzbik

i couldn't tell you the last time i listened to Undermind and probably listened to it a total of 5 times.  But i think Undermind is a great song and Scents & Subtle Sounds and Song I heard The Ocean Sing are good songs.  the rest is meh.

It should be interesting to see what songs are in the rotation.

capt. scotty

Quotei couldn't tell you the last time i listened to Undermind and probably listened to it a total of 5 times.  But i think Undermind is a great song and Scents & Subtle Sounds and Song I heard The Ocean Sing are good songs.  the rest is meh.

It should be interesting to see what songs are in the rotation.

Ill 2nd Undermind, but idk about Scents

I think there was 1 other song on there that was decent, but like you said, I probably only listened to it a handful of times

easy way

Watching the Rays v. White Sox on TBS and just heard 'Chalkdust' as the out music...it's all happening!  ;)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

Penny Lane

i just put in for tix for all 3 shows just in case for one of my friends---jeezus....you are more likely to win the powerball! lol...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

alexzbik

going to be a very tough ticket for sure

capt. scotty

Quotegoing to be a very tough ticket for sure

Well, my luck sucks since I was at Iowa City and have tix for Chicago, so you can cross this guy off your list of someone who could potentially get your tix