Main Menu

The Walkmen

Started by DaFunkyPrecedent, Aug 31, 2008, 01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaFunkyPrecedent

Just picked this CD up yesterday and while I can't praise it fully because I've only listened to it once - I must say, from my first listen, this album is very classic sounding.  

If you like New York city, coked up Bob Dylan
or
If you like music that sounds like it's coming through your walls
or
If you wish Vampire Weekend weren't so fluffy and a little more rockin'
or
If you dream in Black and White

Get the new WALKMEN

http://www.myspace.com/thewalkmen
God damn those shaky knees.

pawpaw

Hell yeah, the Walkmen are awesome. I have Bows + Arrows, which is a really good album. I saw 'em once too, at a Noise Pop show at Bimbo's (they were bad ass). I'll check out the new stuff!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

DaFunkyPrecedent

pawpaw

Quotebimbo's im SF?

Damn right! Awesome venue...I even saw Buck Owens there one time! The coolest event though, was when some friends had their wedding reception there. The ceremony was up the street at St. Peter and Paul, and the reception at Bimbo's...great wedding all around.

You live in the Bay Area, don't you Funky?

Penny Lane

i'm not a huge fan, but i can always find 2/3 songs on their albums that are addictive---good music to work out to
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

DaFunkyPrecedent

yea i live in the East Bay.

If The Strokes and Vampire Weekend were to have a kid they would call it The Walkmen.  

pawpaw

Quoteyea i live in the East Bay.

If The Strokes and Vampire Weekend were to have a kid they would call it The Walkmen.  

Cool, I split my time in the Bay between living in Alameda and San Francisco...some of the older hoods in Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, Albany are some of my favorites in the Bay. Cool old craftsman style bungalows, big old trees...

primushead

Didn't see another thread on these guys...

but I picked up their album You and Me today and I am diggin' it.  I officially recommend them.

Ghosts_on_TV

one of my favs of '08. Bows+Arrows is great as well. The Rat is one of my favorite songs ever.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

TheBigChicken

Listening now and I like :) :) That's one of the GREAT things about this forum. So much new music that you guys and gals turn all of us on to :-*
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

ycartrob

Quotebimbo's im SF?

Damn right! Awesome venue...I even saw Buck Owens there one time! The coolest event though, was when some friends had their wedding reception there. The ceremony was up the street at St. Peter and Paul, and the reception at Bimbo's...great wedding all around.

You live in the Bay Area, don't you Funky?

My wife and I honeymooned (2000) in SF and up/down the coast. We stayed a couple of nights with her Uncle in Berkley and he took us to Bimbos to see Big Sandy and the Fly-Rite Boys. Pretty amazing place and all the kids were decked out in their retro 50's gear.

kotchishm

Just saw two nights at the 9:30 Club.  All I can say is wow.  They are hands down one of the best live bands I've ever seen. 
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

bartel

their new  album made me a bigger fan .. album of the year.

GO4IT

NN introduced me to the Walkmen when we heard them at a Newport bar after the deluge at the NFF on Sat. night this year and I connected. He graciously followed up with a gift of their Heaven vinyl while  visiting for this year's MPP show.

I'm now a fan.

smhoffmann02

There's a cool Tiny Desk Concert on NPR you should check out.  Scaled back in instrumentation but mighty powerful vocally.  Love these guys. Keep hoping they'll open for MMJ...
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

FiddleCastro

Quote from: smhoffmann02 on Oct 15, 2012, 11:15 PM
There's a cool Tiny Desk Concert on NPR you should check out.  Scaled back in instrumentation but mighty powerful vocally.  Love these guys. Keep hoping they'll open for MMJ...

Just heard this on NPR. Phenomenal. Incredibly powerful voice.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

FiddleCastro

Saw them last night with Daughter and Dum Dum Girls.

Terminal 5 is such a hit or miss venue, and it was definitely a miss last night for The Walkmen. Great energy and a lot of fun, but saw them in May at BAM and that show blew last night away.

Northern Neighbour

I'm a fan of the Dum Dum Girls and the Walkmen.  I saw DDG a couple of years ago and while they sounded great they lacked a stage presence.  Have they improved at all?

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Oct 19, 2012, 12:13 PM
I'm a fan of the Dum Dum Girls and the Walkmen.  I saw DDG a couple of years ago and while they sounded great they lacked a stage presence.  Have they improved at all?

Hah, they must have. They've definitely got stage presence now.

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf