Andrew Bird Recommendations, I need them

Started by hodgeswm, Nov 20, 2008, 06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hodgeswm

What are some good A. Bird songs, I recently got a few of his albums from a buddy and need to know what to look for. Much appreciated.
10.8.05-4.21.06-6.16.06-11.13.06-6.13.08-8.15.08-12.31.08-4.24.10-10.31.10-6.10.11-6.22.11

Taxman

I don't know the song names, but his last album is pretty good. Saw him live on that tour in the Netherlands as well...So Id recommend his last one: Armchair Apocrypha
The entire album.  :)
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver

Taxman

OK. Have you found any other gems in his catalogue?  :)
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver

tomEisenbraun

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

tomEisenbraun

And sooner or later, I'm going to make a thread devoted to the development of his songs. I've got a number of live bootlegs of his material from the years and you can certainly hear how he's picked, pulled, and mashed together the different parts of different songs out from others. It's really cool, and really incredible to hear the things from Mysterious Production of Eggs in pre-recorded format, with just him on violin. "Opposite Day" was probably my favorite revelatory moment of all those. "Happy Birthday" song is incredible in live form, as well. I cannot wait to see him this February.

fitzcarraldo

Hawkeye

Please go get The Swimming Hour as well.  Some really great tunes on there.  The last half of the album has a few great rockers as well as some beautiful strings (as always).  I only have Mysterious Production of Eggs, Armchair, and The Swimming Hour, and the latter seems to be a bit more "fun" or light-hearted, so I tend to listen to it more.  I really need to listen to all of his Bowl of Fire stuff.
We could.

tomEisenbraun

QuotePlease go get The Swimming Hour as well.  Some really great tunes on there.  The last half of the album has a few great rockers as well as some beautiful strings (as always).  I only have Mysterious Production of Eggs, Armchair, and The Swimming Hour, and the latter seems to be a bit more "fun" or light-hearted, so I tend to listen to it more.  I really need to listen to all of his Bowl of Fire stuff.

If you dig the fun/light-hearted aspect of his work, you will absolutely need to change your jeans when you acquire Thrills and Oh! The Grandeur. Seriously, those albums are so fun and awesome. Oh! The Grandeur takes the cake on the ridiculous scale for all his recordings.