Main Menu

Plagiarism?

Started by purvis9876, Dec 07, 2008, 01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purvis9876

I could really care less about either of these people, but I just found it funny.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/05/coldplay-sued-for-plagiar_n_148676.html
watch the youtube video on the page also.
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

ycartrob

QuoteI could really care less about either of these people, but I just found it funny.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/05/coldplay-sued-for-plagiar_n_148676.html

so what you're saying is, you don't care much for these people but you actually have room to care less about them?  ;)

purvis9876

QuoteI could really care less about either of these people, but I just found it funny.

so what you're saying is, you don't care much for these people but you actually have room to care less about them?  ;)

I have the ability to care less about them but am unable to because I lack the space to hold my uncaring for them(translator my be needed).  :-/
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

Ghosts_on_TV

I don't think it was done on purpose. My reason being why would a band as big as coldplay rip off a song (it is the exact same melody, I'm not disputing that) and make it the big single? THey would have to expect something would be done about it. Why risk getting sued and the embarrasment?
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Jaimoe

It was done on purpose. I bet the guitarist lifted the melody and brought it in for Martin to work with. It makes sense that they picked a song from a prog-rocker since they probably didn't expect Satriani to listen to commerical radio. There are far worse cases of music plagarism (Zeppelin, George Harrison, every hip-hop tune, many blues tunes), but since Chris Martin is a golden boy of sensitive rock (with a famous hack actress), but this is a big hit. I bet they settle out of court, although Satriani is no dumb-witted musician. He could be looking for a fight. Should be interesting.

dragonboy

QuoteIt was done on purpose. I bet the guitarist lifted the melody and brought it in for Martin to work with. It makes sense that they picked a song from a prog-rocker since they probably didn't expect Satriani to listen to commerical radio. There are far worse cases of music plagarism (Zeppelin, George Harrison, every hip-hop tune, many blues tunes), but since Chris Martin is a golden boy of sensitive rock (with a famous hack actress), but this is a big hit. I bet they settle out of court, although Satriani is no dumb-witted musician. He could be looking for a fight. Should be interesting.
How can you write that with such authority? How do you know that for sure? Clearly you have something against Coldplay (famous hack actress?!! How is that even relevant?) I like Coldplay but won't allow that to cloud my vision either way...I'll wait to hear the facts, something you're clearly not prepared to do.

Like Ghosts said, do you honestly think that Coldplay, one of the biggest bands in the world (whether you like it or not) would take that chance? & that they're all so stupid as to have thought that it wouldn't get back to Satriani somehow, whether he listens to commercial radio or not?

& if you're going to educate us all then do us a favour & get your facts straight. Plagiarize, by definaiton means "to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own: use (another's production) without crediting the source" Regarding Hip-Hop, most Hip-Hop acts credit the source when sampling their music & in most cases, pay them a fee. Therefore, by definition, "every hip-hop tune" is not a case of plagarism + there are many artists out there now writing their own songs & playing live instruments. A sweeping, generalised statement like "every hip-hop tune" (is a case of plaiarism) is simply not true.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

dragonboy, take a breath there lad. I hold no ill-will towards Coldplay and I think they have tons of talent and have made mid-tempo rock, for the first time in recent memory, diverse. My "hack actress" comment stands however (especially over the past 10 years), but she was ok in Iron Man. I do think they ripped that melody off of Satriani, so we'll see how far Satch takes this one.  

dragonboy

Well hopefully you'll get the chance to meet her one day & then you'll be able to tell her that to her face. & Hopefully she'll be hanging out with her pal Jay-Z & you'll be able to tell him how he & the WHOLE Hip-Hop community are guilty of plagiarism  ;)

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Ghostess on TV

In the youtube video when they're both meshed together, it actually doesn't sound that bad.  haha  It goes kind of perfect together.

dragonboy

QuoteIn the youtube video when they're both meshed together, it actually doesn't sound that bad.  haha  It goes kind of perfect together.
I agree entirely, Joe Satriani definitely has a valid case.

I just find it hard to believe that any high profile band would be stupid enough to do that intentionally?

ycartrob

I sort of like Gwyneth Paltrow   :-/

Jaimoe

QuoteIn the youtube video when they're both meshed together, it actually doesn't sound that bad.  haha  It goes kind of perfect together.
I agree entirely, Joe Satriani definitely has a valid case.

I just find it hard to believe that any high profile band would be stupid enough to do that intentionally?

Obviously I generalized about hip-hop, but damn it it's hard to praise a genre that uses canned samples and melodies as a composing tool, writing credit or not. I like hip-hop too. I like Outcast, The Beasties, Grand Master Flash, Missy Elliot, KRS-One, Eminem and many more.

Hey, The Kinks ripped themselves off and George Harrison and Zeppelin admitted to "knicking" songs, and Coldplay are quite a bit smaller than those two greats.  

dragonboy

QuoteI sort of like Gwyneth Paltrow   :-/
I think she's great. Sure, she's made some rubbish but Se7en, Emma, Sliding Doors, Shakespeare In Love, The Royal Tenenbaums...these are excellent movies! & like Jaimoe said, she was great in Iron Man.

+ she's fairly easy on the eyes and she named her baby Apple  :D

Jaimoe

I used to like her when she first started out. She's turned out a lot of clunkers though. I do think she's a better actress than someone like Angelina Jolie.

Jaimoe

I think she's great. Sure, she's made some rubbish but Se7en, Emma, Sliding Doors, Shakespeare In Love, The Royal Tenenbaums...these are great movies! & like Jaimoe said, she was great in Iron Man.

+ she's fairly easy on the eyes and she named her baby Apple  :D

I heard her in countless interviews over the years and I guess that's a part of why I don't like her. She didn't have much to do in Se7en (a movie I love), but yes, she was really good in The Royal Tenebaums and Shakespeare In Love. And whatever happened to Joseph Fiennes?

Ghostess on TV

I used to like her when she first started out. She's turned out a lot of clunkers though. I do think she's a better actress than someone like Angelina Jolie.

Are you serious??  Angelina Jolie??  In my opinion, she is the most talented (or close to it) actress there is today.

capt. scotty

Way to stand up for the hip hop community DB!! Holla!

That said, I think Coldplay makes okay music, but they def ripped off Satch on that one

A week or 2 ago I was watching Jim Rome is Burning on ESPN, where he usually rips on athletes. On this day, his final burn was on Americans and their Coldplay obsession. I guess 6 or the 10 top downloaded songs by Americans in 2008 were Coldplay songs, and I forget how he put it, but he said to quit buying all their music and start buying some American stuff. Im not too big on Jim Rome, but I found this particular rant quite funny
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

Are you serious??  Angelina Jolie??  In my opinion, she is the most talented (or close to it) actress there is today.

Dead serious. I find her overly dramatic most of the time. I find her acting distracting, and I'm one of the few red-blooded males on the face of this earth that isn't in love with her. However, I kinda liked Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

Jaimoe

QuoteWay to stand up for the hip hop community DB!! Holla!

That said, I think Coldplay makes okay music, but they def ripped off Satch on that one

A week or 2 ago I was watching Jim Rome is Burning on ESPN, where he usually rips on athletes. On this day, his final burn was on Americans and their Coldplay obsession. I guess 6 or the 10 top downloaded songs by Americans in 2008 were Coldplay songs, and I forget how he put it, but he said to quit buying all their music and start buying some American stuff. Im not too big on Jim Rome, but I found this particular rant quite funny

I like Rome, but he has his faults. I don't care about half of his guests either and the Clones can drive me nuts. Generally though, I like his radio show - it comes in fairly clear in downtown Toronto from Buffalo's 550 AM.

capt. scotty

Dead serious. I find her overly dramatic most of the time. I find her acting distracting, and I'm one of the few red-blooded males on the face of this earth that isn't in love with her. However, I kinda liked Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

Id say Cate Blanchett is the best actress going these days

That said, Jolie is a league above Paltrow. Not only is she better than Paltrow, but when I see Gwyneth in a movie, I see Gwyneth because shes limited as an actress. In other words, Paltrow playing Paltrow as another character

Jolie has got mad range..and mad a lot of other things  :P
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons