Black Crowes Announce New Album!!

Started by ChiefCrowe, Nov 27, 2007, 09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

QuoteIs that the new cover? Man, that's CRAP!

I assumed it was the new cover, it's the only thing on the front page of the website right now.   You don't like it?  I really have no opinion.  It's certainly not great, but I'm not sure I'd go with CRAP!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ChiefOKONO

New Dates!!!

- March -

03/02/2008 - Sayreville, NJ @ Starland Ballroom (On Sale 01/18)

03/04/2008 - New York, NY@ Irving Plaza (On Sale 01/18)

03/05/2008 - Boston, MA @ Somerville Theatre (On Sale 01/18)

03/07/2008 - Chicago, IL @ Park West (On Sale 01/19)

03/08/2008 - Owensboro, KY @ Sportcenter (On Sale @ ticketmaster.com) ***

03/09/2008 - Atlanta, GA @ The Tabernacle (On Sale 01/18)

03/15/2008 - Austin, TX @ Stubb's BBQ (SXSW Festival) ***

03/19/2008 - San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore (On Sale 01/20)

03/20/2008 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Avalon (On Sale 01/18)

03/24/2008 - Byron Bay, Australia @ East Coast Blues Roots Music (On Sale)

03/26/2008 - Perth, Australia @ Challenge Stadium (On Sale @ ticketmaster.com)

03/28/2008 - Adelaide, Australia @ Barton Theatre (On Sale @ venuetix.com)

03/29/2008 - Melbourne, Australia @ Palais Theatre (On Sale @ ticketmaster.com)

03/30/2008 - Sydney, Australia @ Hordern Pavilion (On Sale @ ticketek.com)

- April -

04/01/2008 - Wollongong, Australia @ Win Centre (On Sale @ ticketek.com)

04/02/2008 - Canberra, Australia @ Royal Theatre (On Sale @ ticketek.com)

04/03/2008 - New Castle, Australia @ Civic Theatre (On Sale @ ticketek.com)

04/05/2008 - Auckland, New Zealand @ Logan Campbell Centre (On Sale TBA)

04/09/2008 - London, England @ Brixton Academy (On Sale TBA)

04/11/2008 - Amsterdam, Holland @ Heineken Music Hall (On Sale TBA)

*** This is not a "One Night Only" performance.

and here is the press release:

For the first time in their 18-year career, THE BLACK CROWES will
perform an album of theirs in its entirety. On a special run of "One
Night Only" shows beginning March 2 and wrapping March 20, fans will
experience "Warpaint" — the group's first album of all new studio
material in seven years, due out March 4 — in its entirety onstage,
after which the band will perform songs from their catalog and selected
surprises.

A listing of these seven one-time-only tour dates is
below, with the on-sale info. In the midst of this trek, the band will
headline Stubbs March 15 at SXSW in Austin.

THE BLACK CROWES
launch their overseas tour March 24 when they headline the East Coast
Blues & Roots Festival in Australia. They'll continue their Down
Under trek — their first since 1991 — through April 5, and conclude
with exclusive performances in London, UK at Brixton Academy April 9
and The Amsterdam Music Hall April 11. A major market multiple night
U.S. tour will begin in May, with cities and venues to be announced in
the near future.

"Warpaint" marks the recording debut of two new
band members — second guitarist Luther Dickerson, formerly of NORTH
MISSISSIPPI ALLSTARS, and keyboardist Adam MacDougall — who join Chris
and Rich and drummer Steve Gorman and bassist Sven Pipien. The album —
which is being independently released on the band's own newly-formed
Silver Arrow Records, distributed through Megaforce/Sony Red BMG —
builds compellingly on the band's trademark adventurous brew of rock,
blues, country, soul and gospel.

Produced and mixed by Paul
Stacey at Allaire Studios, Woodstock, NY, the album features 11 songs,
all of which were written by Chris and Rich Robinson, except "God's Got
It" by the Reverend Charlie Jackson. "Goodbye Daughters of the
Revolution" is set as the album's first single and video; the song will
arrive at radio on Monday, January 7.

dragonboy

Australia but no Japan just like Wilco  :(
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

BH

QuoteAustralia but no Japan just like Wilco  :(

You'll just have to take a trip home on April 5th, eh?

I may have to go to Chicago for that one!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

buaawwww

Seen them about 8 times live.
Own all their albums (Amorica is one of the greatest things I have ever heard to this day).
Own 4 of their official releases and countless SBD boots.

Yeah safe to say they are one of my favorite bands ever.  I'll be all over this new album and all over the Fillmore NY show!

And what can be better than having Luther in the fold?!?!  I can't wait!!!! ;D

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

BH

dragonboy

dragonboy

From allmusic: http://blog.allmusic.com/2008/2/29/the-black-crowes-warpaint/

Looking back, it seems inevitable that the Black Crowes would suffer a rocky middle age. Young bands yearning to be old tend to stumble when they years start to pile up, once hunger and ambition starts to fade into the ceaseless grind of the road, and the Crowes were no exception. After they mapped out the furthest reaches of their world on 1994's Amorica, they slowly spun their tires, turning out records both respectable and tired, before internal tensions slowly tore the brothers Robinson apart, leading to a split in 2002, not long after the release of their sixth album Lions. A few years of solo wanderings lead the band to a reunion in 2005 but they had to go through a few more lineup changes - including the addition of North Mississippi Allstar Luther Dickinson as the replacement for guitarist Mark Ford — before they buckled down to record their seventh album, 2008's Warpaint. All that turmoil and trouble is felt on Warpaint, as are the years the band spent paying dues on the jam-band circuit after Amorica. Warpaint shows that decade of hard struggle gave the band soul and chops, turning them into the band they've always wanted to be.
The Black Crowes haven't changed their basic sound - ever since Shake Your Moneymaker the band has always drawn deeply from the Stones and Faces, tempering that British swagger with southern-fried blues borrowed from the Allmans, then slowly threading hippie mysticism throughout - but the feel has, as the group has turned from reckless ruffians to seasoned veterans, with all their feeling lived-in and genuine. There's depth here, highlighted by an instrumental suppleness that slightly recalls Little Feat - particularly on the slow-rolling "Oh Josephine" with its gently cascading choruses - an evolution that could only be earned during those years on the road, building the band through nightly jams and a slow cycle of membership turnovers. This is a suppleness that has grit, thanks especially to Dickinson's glass slide runs that give this music some welcome grease. The Crowes also pull off a couple of sly moves here, weaving some swirling psychedelia through the chorus of "Movin' on Down the Line," turning the Rev Charlie Jackson's "God's Got It" into a heavy heavy backwoods stop, then spinning the closing "Oh Mule" into a roiling blues raga that. These are the turns and tricks of veterans, who can slide these flourishes into their signature sound without calling attention to their changeup, but these numbers are enough of a departure to garner attention - what may not get as much praise is how the Crowes write compellingly within their standard sound, as they do so here, beginning with the opening gambit of the down-n-dirty "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution" and the crawling "Walk Believer Walk." From there, Warpaint continues to gain momentum, as this album not only is their strongest set of songs since Amorica, it has a depth and presence that is rare for a digital age creation and, best of all, the album has a true narrative thrust, making it feel like a true classic rock album. What the Black Crowes have done here is what true journeymen do: they don't renounce their past, they build upon it, finding hidden depths within it, shaping tradition after their own image to make it sound fresh. They're old-fashioned, but in the best sense: they're in it for the long haul, which the superb Warpaint proves beyond a shadow of a doubt.

brkndwnbus

"Locust Street" may be my favorite on the album so far. At first listen, I was kind of not feeling Warpaint until this song, then follow it up with "Movin' on down the Line" and 'Wounded Bird" I was back into loving the Crowes. Hope to listen more today and get a real feel for it.

Penny Lane

i won't get home in time tonight but i can't wait to pick this up!!! i'm a huge crowes groupie---i've been excited reading all the reviews but i've only heard daughters of the revolution- saw them in central park last spring and have been waiting to hear this ever since. luther played w/them that night, too----i even love both chris's solo albums....the last great american (pure) rock band!!!!!!!!  wish i could go see them at irving plaza tonight but class till late;-( hoping to catch them this summer.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

Unfortunately, I had a funeral (and 10" of snow) yesterday so I won't be picking it up until today at lunch but glad to hear the early review!

Here's the set from the first night of the tour in New Jersey.

Goodbye Daughters Of The Revolution (1st time played)
Walk Believer Walk (1st time played)
Oh, Josephine (1st time played)
Evergreen (1st time played)
Wee Who See The Deep (1st time played)
Locust Street (1st time played)
Movin' On Down The Line (1st time played)
Wounded Bird (1st time played)
God's Got It (1st time played)
There's Gold In Them Hills (1st time played)
Whoa Mule (1st time played)
- break -
Poor Elijah - Tribute To Johnson (Medley) (1st time played)
Jealous Again
Wiser Time
Rockin' Chair
- encore -
Hey Grandma (1st time played)

BH

I made it thru the first seven tracks at lunch.  Locust Street is certainly a sweet tune.  You can definately hear that Luther Dickinson guitar soundon htis album!  Very bluesy. I love it.  Can't wait to finish....

brkndwnbus

I listened more today and the middle of the album still sticks out as the strongest to me, with "Locust Street" remaining my favorite. The guitar just has something that won't get out of my head.

brkndwnbus

You know what else I love about the Crowes? Its Web site has a setlist database. I was able to go back 7 years ago and find exactly what the setlist was from some shows I saw. Fantastic idea. Seriously, more bands should have something like that set up.

Penny Lane

oh yeah, that is a great feature. another reason to procrastinate at work..nice

did anyone get to irving plaza last night??
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

yeah, crowesbase.com is awesome.  You can search in many different ways.  Find all the covers they've done, how many times everythings played, where you can find live versions of the song, etc. etc.   Best setlist data base out there as far as I know.

How about the bass line on track two!   DAMN!  That's some heavy blues!

Gold in them Hills is also an early front runner for me.

mjkoehler

Hey Dave, you notice the Crowes are playing Busch Stadium with Dave Matthews on 6/7! When did they start doing shows at the Ballpark again  :-/

BH

QuoteHey Dave, you notice the Crowes are playing Busch Stadium with Dave Matthews on 6/7! When did they start doing shows at the Ballpark again  :-/

NO!  Where did you see that?    That's not what I wanted.  The sound will suck and, nothing against Dave, but the tickets will probably cost a fortune.