Bob Mould

Started by ycartrob, Jan 31, 2008, 10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

New Bob Mould album District Line is now on Bob's MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/bobmould

ycartrob

ycartrob

New Bob Mould single for download. Typical Bob, which is great! (I always love me some Bob Mould).

http://www.spinner.com/2007/12/04/bob-mould-returns-with-district-line-exclusive-mp3/

CC

love it.

did anyone get that live dvd yet?

ycartrob

Quotelove it.

did anyone get that live dvd yet?

not yet, hoping for a stocking stuffer for Christmas  ::)

bowl of soup

Me likes.  Sounds similar to Copper Blue, specifically "The Act We Act".  A good sign.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

red

Wonderful song!  

Would Copper Blue be a good starting point for all things Mr. Mould?

bowl of soup

QuoteWonderful song!  

Man, that is a hard question.  Copper Blue would be a good starting point for an introduction to American rock music (I also love the EP recorded at the same time - Beaster), but Mr. Mould (Husker, Sugar, solo) has changed his musical muse so many times that his entire collection is all over the place.

Early Husker is pure punk.  Middle Husker (see Zen Arcade) hints at a change.  Later Husker (See New Day Rising) is a shift towards more traditional rock music.  And with all Husker you have to keep in mind that this is a band of 2 enourmously self-important song-writers; Grant Hart wrote about half of the songs.

Black Sheets of Rain (straight solo) would be a good starting point for the more pensive and intospective Bob, but not the album that you would choose before a night of partying.

So, I guess the answer to your question is yes.  Start with Copper Blue, then sample some late Husker and Black Sheets of Rain, and then go from there.

ycartrob

QuoteWonderful song!  

Copper Blue is one of my all time favorites from anyone. I think it's a must. Bob Mould is one of those artists who can put out an album that everyone hated and I would love. You can't go wrong with Copper Blue. You have to consider the entire body of work with Husker Du, Sugar, and solo Bob. I'd start with (after Copper Blue):

Zen Arcade (Husker Du)
New Day Rising (Husker Du)
Bob Mould (self titled)
Last Dog and Pony Show (Bob Mould)
Workbook (Bob Mould)
File Under Easy listening (Sugar)

any of these would do, IMO

Here's Bob doing one solo off Copper Blue (you'll have to sit through a 30 second commercial of some sorts first)

http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?id=1511168&vid=61486

ycartrob

Black Sheets of Rain (straight solo) would be a good starting point for the more pensive and intospective Bob, but not the album that you would choose before a night of partying.

Black Sheets of Rain Wheeew. yeah, not good before a night of partying. But if you're up for putting tin foil on the windows, turning off the phone, sitting in total darkness with nothing you could hurt yourself with, I'd say go for it...

an album I particularly love, too.

bowl of soup

Black Sheets of Rain Wheeew. yeah, not good before a night of partying. But if you're up for putting tin foil on the windows, turning off the phone, sitting in total darkness with nothing you could hurt yourself with, I'd say go for it...

an album I particularly love, too.

Exactly.  Sometines its good to know that you're not the only one.  I like sad albums for some reason (Candy Apple Grey also speaks to me).  Workbook would be a better first choice on second thought; but if your grow to love Bob's work, I think you'll eventually rank this higher.

CC

tonight's the night.

ycartrob

Quotetonight's the night.

rock on, hope you get some good shots. tell Bob hello.

CC

the crowd was the lamest ever but had a great time anyway. new songs, lotsa copper blue classics and some husker du. had a pass to shoot the show but was told before it started that bob banned all photography. what's up with that bob? oh well, the music was ace!

ycartrob

the crowd was the lamest ever but had a great time anyway. new songs, lotsa copper blue classics and some husker du. had a pass to shoot the show but was told before it started that bob banned all photography. what's up with that bob? oh well, the music was ace!

Bob can be a little odd at times, that's no secret

glad you enjoyed

bowl of soup

Bob can be a little odd at times, that's no secret

glad you enjoyed

Bob is alot odd most of the time.

tbw

Boy that is strange that he banned all photography? hmmm.. because it seems he lets ummm...nevermind
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyo_h6pUJw[/media]

ycartrob