van morrison / caravan / the last waltz

Started by red, Jan 08, 2009, 12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

red

you know what, how about we just talk about the whole damn film.  

i make a point to watch it at least once a month and am always in awe.  i love you joni.  that first shot of dylan.  neil's coat.  the part in "the weight" when the old gent from the staples is singing.  

aMillionDreams

Turn up your RADIO
And letame letame letame hear the soooooo-ooo-ngg
Switch on your 'lectric light
We can get down t' what's really wrong really wrong really wrong

Man, that is some soulful stuff.  I eat it up.  Last Waltz is one of my favorites films of all-time, period.

The backlit shot of Rick Danko during Stage Fright, Muddy Waters and Clapton in the middle are great!  Hell, I even like Neil Diamond's song.  And how could anyone forget Neil's version of "Helpless"  "They got it now Rob" Yes they do, Neil, yes they do.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

red

hell yeah, that coked-out version of "helpless" is incredible.  sometimes danko's arms look like they're made of rubber, so awesome.  

[size=20]"it's a god damn impossible way of life"[/size]

searchinbig

A great Rock and Roll film.

Check out what Dylan said about Neil Diamond, cracks me up every time!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Waltz
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

bold99

Quotehell yeah, that coked-out version of "helpless" is incredible.  sometimes danko's arms look like they're made of rubber, so awesome.  

There are no words to describe Neil Young's condition during that song.....It's one of the best performances i've ever seen.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

fleabag

That's just the ultimate concert movie, and Van's performance is one of the highlights.  He just belts it out.

If you haven't already, check out the commentary on the DVD.  it's pretty interesting.  Not much mention of the insane amounts of drugs consumed during the show though.

On another note, can you imagine if they turned Scorsese loose at an MMJ concert?  One can dream.
...words only got in the way

ManNamedTruth

Quotehell yeah, that coked-out version of "helpless" is incredible.  sometimes danko's arms look like they're made of rubber, so awesome.  

There are no words to describe Neil Young's condition during that song.....It's one of the best performances i've ever seen.

"Scorsese has admitted that during this period, he was using cocaine heavily.[11] Drugs were present in large quantities during the concert. Backstage, a room was painted white and decorated with noses from plastic masks while an audio tape of sniffing noises played in the background.[citation needed] A large blob of cocaine hanging from Neil Young's nose was edited out in post-production through rotoscoping."

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMillionDreams

I had tickets to see the Band in 98 (I think) and Rick got busted for heroin in Japan three days before the show.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Murph

Has there ever been a better concert?  I dont think so

Jbones72

Rock Of Ages is my favorite live Band recording. Last Waltz is a GREAT movie and I loved the live album, but the real "live" Band record is Rock Of Ages, especially the  2 disc version with Dylan.

Penny Lane

i love rock of ages, too.

the last waltz=best rockumentary...EVER.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Jbones72

Quotei love rock of ages, too.

the last waltz=best rockumentary...EVER.

that's what i meant to say, rockumentary!

bold99

my top 3 are probably

Last Waltz
Festival Express
Don't Look Back

The Wilco one is always in heavy rotation though.

wharf rat

Wow, what a classic.  Definitely my favorite rockumentary.  I watch this a few times a year and every time during Helpless when you hear Joni's voice from behind the curtain for the first time, my being just melts.  Such a beautiful voice.
Neil is superb.  I love it when they're jamming out a bit on Helpless and he gets this ornery grin then shuffles over to Robbie and Rick and they share one mic.  
Danko on It Makes No Difference is another highlight, along with Ophelia, The Weight, Dixie.  Damn, it's all so good!  What a great assemblage of music and musicians.
Edit:  Oh, and how can you top Richard Manuel during some of the interviews?  I'll have what he's having, please!

Jbones72

Quotemy top 3 are probably

Last Waltz
Festival Express
Don't Look Back

Festival Express is great, only wish Gram Parsons was still in The Flying Burrito Brothers when it was filmed.

bold99

Quotemy top 3 are probably

Last Waltz
Festival Express
Don't Look Back

Festival Express is great, only wish Gram Parsons was still in The Flying Burrito Brothers when it was filmed.

Yeah I love Gram...that would've been great.  Footage in Festival Express is amazing.

ManNamedTruth

BUMP

I watched this again last night and it's hard to feel sad about Levon while hearing such joyous music.
Love that this thread starts out with praise to the Van Morrison segment, this has become a go to thing to watch coming back from the bar at my friend's house. He's a big fan of the leg kicks as well. "Turn up or your raaaadio!"

You can tell more and more with each viewing how coked up everyone seemed. Ronnie Hawkins really seems fucked up. I don't know what Ronnie was normally like but he's absolutely crazy in this. You can see Neil Young grinding his jaw while walking off stage.

Rick Danko is hilarious in this, he's definitely a guy you would've wanted to party with. I love the part where he says "and you know what happens when we have too much fun" and just stares at the camera. And then there's when he's showing Marty around the studio, and says the master control music room used to be the master control bedroom.  ;D I also remember him having a good time in Festival Express.

My only complaint about the whole film is that they only show the beginning of Chest Fever and then cut to the interview talking about how Garth joined The Band. Chest Fever is one of my favorite songs and that beginning part is such a tease. Scorsese mentions something about the cameras they used to film and not being able to capture everything, so maybe they ran out of film during that song.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

jimsflyingv

Quote from: Murph on Jan 08, 2009, 05:13 PM
Has there ever been a better concert?  I dont think so

I have two concert dvds on constant rotation

The Last Waltz and Okonokos  :) :) :)