To buy the super deluxe reissue of PJ's Ten or not

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Dec 16, 2008, 11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

Lots of nice extras and a chance that the package will be autographed--big price tag $140!
What to do?????
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Penny Lane

we're in a recession--even eddie vedder would tell you that's a waste of $$
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ALady

QuoteLots of nice extras and a chance that the package will be autographed--big price tag $140!
What to do?????

Two CDs, four LPs, a DVD and a cassette could run you $140 if you bought them all separately.  This package has all that and the extras!  

I think it's well worth it...but then, I ordered mine the first day   ;D  I have no willpower.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

xmascriminal

I'm going to order it as soon as I have the money. So, maybe  not for a long time. But someday.

Jbones72

ritchiem4812

weeniebeenie

I'm thinking of buying it. It's awfully expensive though. Why do they have to release it at Christmas time?
How loud can silence get?

Ghosts_on_TV

When I first read about it I was like "Damn, I need that", but now I don't think I'm gonna get it. Maybe if they release a super deluxe Vitology or No Code I would. Actually, I'm sure I would.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

ritchiem4812

QuoteI'm thinking of buying it. It's awfully expensive though. Why do they have to release it at Christmas time?

I don't think it comes out until March though.

weeniebeenie

QuoteI'm thinking of buying it. It's awfully expensive though. Why do they have to release it at Christmas time?

I don't think it comes out until March though.
That's true but the presale is now so I just keep thinking about whether I should get it or not.

Bob Loblaw

Nope.  They were my favorite band for years.  Now they're so political, they take every opportunity to deride capitalism then pull something like this which is capitalism at its finest.  Seems somewhat disingenuous to me.  They take themselves way too seriously these days.  I'm over it.

PS - I'm trying to decide whether I should renew my ten club membership right now.  I've been a member since the mid-90's.  I get great concert seats.  I'll probably keep it just for that.

Kenny76

QuoteNope.  They were my favorite band for years.  Now they're so political, they take every opportunity to deride capitalism then pull something like this which is capitalism at its finest.  Seems somewhat disingenuous to me.  They take themselves way too seriously these days.  I'm over it.

PS - I'm trying to decide whether I should renew my ten club membership right now.  I've been a member since the mid-90's.  I get great concert seats.  I'll probably keep it just for that.

I hear that a lot... "they're so political now"... but I don't get that, because they've always been brazenly political, and their politics have always been the same.  They have never decried capitalism, just the excesses of it.  And considering everything you get in this box set, $140 does not seem excessive to me.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteNope.  They were my favorite band for years.  Now they're so political, they take every opportunity to deride capitalism then pull something like this which is capitalism at its finest.  Seems somewhat disingenuous to me.  They take themselves way too seriously these days.  I'm over it.

I hear that a lot... "they're so political now"... but I don't get that, because they've always been brazenly political, and their politics have always been the same.  They have never decried capitalism, just the excesses of it.  And considering everything you get in this box set, $140 does not seem excessive to me.

Tis true. I had this bootleg version of Garden where Eddie sang.."I just question, President George Bush" and He wasn't talking about W.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Bob Loblaw

I guess it's that they went from being respectably political i.e. supporting 3rd parties and true reform, to being poppy political i.e. supporting one of the main parties.

They've always been political by speaking their mind on issues and injustices.  That's subtle.  Now they beat you over the head with it, it seems.

On another note, their music just doesn't seem nearly as inspired anymore either.  

Sorry, don't mean to be so tangential.  Like I said, I really loved these guys for a long time and it's sad to watch the fire burn out.  At times I think it's my fault for listening to them too much that I just burnt myself out but then I listen to No Code or Yield.  That shit is great.

ALady

QuoteWhen I first read about it I was like "Damn, I need that", but now I don't think I'm gonna get it. Maybe if they release a super deluxe Vitology or No Code I would. Actually, I'm sure I would.

From pearljam.com:

"The reissue of Ten serves as the launch of a planned two-year catalogue re-release campaign leading up to the band's 20th anniversary in 2011."

Bob Loblaw, as much as I love your username and law blog, I have to disagree.  I'm not sure what it means to be a "respectably political" band.  Over the years I've agreed and disagreed with Pearl Jam's various political stances, but I've always supported their right to express their views in whatever manner they choose.  Just because someone has the "bully pulpit" of a stage and a microphone doesn't make their opinions any less valid than any of ours.  And unlike a lot of bands, they put their money where their mouth is, giving to local charities in each city they play, and they've inspired others to do the same.  

Jbones72

QuoteGoing for the 2 CD/1 DVD verson here.

Didn't realize they had that,I'll go for that instead!

weeniebeenie

QuoteWhen I first read about it I was like "Damn, I need that", but now I don't think I'm gonna get it. Maybe if they release a super deluxe Vitology or No Code I would. Actually, I'm sure I would.

From pearljam.com:

"The reissue of Ten serves as the launch of a planned two-year catalogue re-release campaign leading up to the band's 20th anniversary in 2011."

Bob Loblaw, as much as I love your username and law blog, I have to disagree.  I'm not sure what it means to be a "respectably political" band.  Over the years I've agreed and disagreed with Pearl Jam's various political stances, but I've always supported their right to express their views in whatever manner they choose.  Just because someone has the "bully pulpit" of a stage and a microphone doesn't make their opinions any less valid than any of ours.  And unlike a lot of bands, they put their money where their mouth is, giving to local charities in each city they play, and they've inspired others to do the same.  
Well said ALady.

Kenny76

QuoteI guess it's that they went from being respectably political i.e. supporting 3rd parties and true reform, to being poppy political i.e. supporting one of the main parties.

They've always been political by speaking their mind on issues and injustices.  That's subtle.  Now they beat you over the head with it, it seems.

On another note, their music just doesn't seem nearly as inspired anymore either.  

Sorry, don't mean to be so tangential.  Like I said, I really loved these guys for a long time and it's sad to watch the fire burn out.  At times I think it's my fault for listening to them too much that I just burnt myself out but then I listen to No Code or Yield.  That shit is great.

Interesting... that's a different take on it than I expected.  I actually took an active role in my state Green party (communications director).  But it proved to be a waste of time.  Seriously, it was a mess of an organization - it was made up of nothing but self-righteous maniacs and good-hearted fools.  And why does Nader keep running every election?  It's gotten ridiculous.  I wasn't inspired by any of the 3rd party choices this year, although I don't place as much stock in Obama as Eddie apparently does, where else could one go?

I almost hear what you're saying about the fire burning out, because I thought that too at one time.  I have to admit, although I love the songs on Binaural and Riot Act, the band didn't do them justice when they recorded those albums.  Eddie's vocals are particularly lacking the inspiration you would expect from him.  But when you listen to the bootlegs from '03 on, those songs take new life, and the same thing goes with songs from all of their earlier albums.  During this year's tour, the songs from Ten sounded better than ever!  I pretty much only listen to live Pearl Jam - that's when they sound the most right to me, even though Eddie fucks up a lot, lol.  The Avocado album is more inspired than the previous two, but again, you gotta hear those songs live.  Listen to the 5/24/06 Boston show or the 1st Adelaide, Aus show from '06.  Many of the South American or Canadian shows from '05 are also good examples of PJ in top form.

Bob Loblaw

QuoteI guess it's that they went from being respectably political i.e. supporting 3rd parties and true reform, to being poppy political i.e. supporting one of the main parties.

Interesting... that's a different take on it than I expected.  I actually took an active role in my state Green party (communications director).  But it proved to be a waste of time.  Seriously, it was a mess of an organization - it was made up of nothing but self-righteous maniacs and good-hearted fools.  And why does Nader keep running every election?  It's gotten ridiculous.  I wasn't inspired by any of the 3rd party choices this year, although I don't place as much stock in Obama as Eddie apparently does, where else could one go?

I almost hear what you're saying about the fire burning out, because I thought that too at one time.  I have to admit, although I love the songs on Binaural and Riot Act, the band didn't do them justice when they recorded those albums.  Eddie's vocals are particularly lacking the inspiration you would expect from him.  But when you listen to the bootlegs from '03 on, those songs take new life, and the same thing goes with songs from all of their earlier albums.  During this year's tour, the songs from Ten sounded better than ever!  I pretty much only listen to live Pearl Jam - that's when they sound the most right to me, even though Eddie fucks up a lot, lol.  The Avocado album is more inspired than the previous two, but again, you gotta hear those songs live.  Listen to the 5/24/06 Boston show or the 1st Adelaide, Aus show from '06.  Many of the South American or Canadian shows from '05 are also good examples of PJ in top form.

You all make great points.  After reading these posts and thinking it through, I'm realizing that I'm blaming it on the politics but that's not it.  It's the music.  If they were putting out albums of EU quality, I wouldn't even think about their politics.  I agree Kenny, other than Yield and No Code I only listen to live Pearl Jam.  I just wonder if I listened to too much and burnt myself out.  I do agree that the Avocado was more inspired than the previous two as well.

And for the "respectably political" comment; I tend to be a little too loose with my words and it hurts me on these boards because there's just no context to what I really mean.

So in the end, politics aside, I will not be purchasing the set.  I've spent so much money on these guys already, I just don't have the urge to stay as engaged as I was and send them that much money.  

See you all in Chicago this weekend!

ALady

QuoteSo in the end, politics aside, I will not be purchasing the set.  I've spent so much money on these guys already, I just don't have the urge to stay as engaged as I was and send them that much money.  

See you all in Chicago this weekend!

I hear ya cluckin', Bob.  It's a pretty big chunk of change for something that definitely isn't a "PJ necessity" by any stretch of the imagination!

Like you, I'm also primarily a live PJ listener...such that if someone asks me my favorite PJ record, I'd much rather name a favorite show (12.2.06)   ;)

See you this weekend!  You coming to the pregame at the Elephant & Castle?