The Beatles Post-Beatles Work

Started by red, Feb 06, 2009, 02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

Favourite albums?  Favourite duds?  

I have only All Things Must Pass, Cloud Nine and a John Lennon best-of.  And, of course, Band on the Run.  It's time I dig a little deeper.    

searchinbig

QuoteFavourite albums?  Favourite duds?  

I have only All Things Must Pass, Cloud Nine and a John Lennon best-of.  And, of course, Band on the Run.  It's time I dig a little deeper.    

Holy crap, you read my mind!! I've had All Things Must Pass playing in the car all week. What a great album. My daughter agrees as she is riding in the car with me. Also Crackerbox Palace, I had the original die cut album but it's long lost. It was beautiful.

John Lennon, Shaved Fish

Paul McCartney, Always loved Venus and Mars

Ringo Starr, Blast From Your Past was the only album I had.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

aMillionDreams

The Plastic Ono Band
Imagine
Double Fantasy
All Things Must Past
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

capt. scotty

It pretty much begins and ends with All Things Must Pass and Plastic Ono Band, but theres a few other okay ones.

Paul's Ram and McCartney are both pretty good though
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

TGMC421

QuoteFavourite albums?  Favourite duds?  

Holy crap, you read my mind!! I've had All Things Must Pass playing in the car all week. What a great album. My daughter agrees as she is riding in the car with me. Also Crackerbox Palace, I had the original die cut album but it's long lost. It was beautiful.

John Lennon, Shaved Fish

Paul McCartney, Always loved Venus and Mars

Ringo Starr, Blast From Your Past was the only album I had.

I picked up Ringo's "country" album, Beacoups of Blues, on vinyl a couple years back.

xmascriminal

Everybody prepare to hate me: I like John Lennon's solo stuff more than The Beatles.

I like George Harrison's solo stuff too, but I haven't heard too much.

aMillionDreams

I hear ya, xc.  I don't know if I'd go that far, but John's solo work is underrated compared to his work with the Beatles, IMO.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Isobella

When I was a kid I received the leftover record collection left behind by older brothers and sisters. One of my favorites was a 45 by Ringo Starr "Back OFF Boogaloo" b/w "Blindman".  This is the only post Beatles work I'm familiar with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv1u6wLP0sQ

Taxman

The last couple of McCartney albums are pretty solid. "Chaos and creation in the backyard" is truly a great album and "Memory almost full" is more than excellent.

For George solo stuff I'd reccommend the "Concert for Bangladesh" dvd (or cd), apart from the aforementioned 'All things must pass', which nowadays is easilly the most underrated post Beatles album (imho of course).

What if they'd waited 2 years to cut the next Beatles album....

Maybe I'm amazed
Imagine
Beware of darkness
Too many people
Jealous guy
Isn't it a pity
etc.

Though it's another question whether or not those songs would've been written had they stayed together (except for George's songs as a lot of them had been written while he was still with the Beatles), but what an album it could have been... :o ;)  
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver

ritchiem4812

In my opinon All Things Must Pass is better than any Beatles album. But ATMP is in my top 10 favorite albums with Abbey Road and the White Album.

Damn I love those albums.

Im The Dude

QuoteThe Plastic Ono Band
Imagine
Double Fantasy
All Things Must Past

I agree with your list but I'd add Ringo Starr's "Ringo" album.  Since its almost like a Beatles reunion.  All of them help Ringo out on this album...great to listen to on vinyl. And also Band On the Run is a great solo beatles album.
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

capt. scotty

For George solo stuff I'd reccommend the "Concert for Bangladesh" dvd (or cd), apart from the aforementioned 'All things must pass', which nowadays is easilly the most underrated post Beatles album (imho of course).

Id hardly call that album underrated. Its great, and its recognized as such by anyone who has heard and is widely considered the best Beatles solo album, and like ritchie said, give any of the Beatles albums a run for their money.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Im The Dude

Id hardly call that album underrated. Its great, and its recognized as such by anyone who has heard and is widely considered the best Beatles solo album, and like ritchie said, give any of the Beatles albums a run for their money.

I agree with you...production and musicly its one of the best solo beatles album.( I love the acoustic guitar sound on this one)  Prob my favorite next to pastic ono band.

concert for bangladesh is one of the best live albums of all time. The DVD is sweet,great footage of Bob Dylan too.
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

Jbones72

I agree that "All Things" is the best solo album, shows what 7 years of frustration can produce! "Imagine" and "Band On The Run" are the only other 2 album's I really listen to a lot.  

Have you heard George's demo version of All Things on Anthology 3? I must have played it 200 times the week he died. That also would have probably been on the "next" Beatles album.

Taxman

Well, ok. ATMP isn't the most underrated post-Beatles album. But for younger people like (but also except) myself (over here in the Netherlands) it's always Lennon this, McCartney that. So it does get a bit forgotten, while 'Imagine' gets sold a lot more. But maybe that's because of how expensive ATMP is. :-?  ;)

The Concert for George always brings tears to my eyes. And it's pretty creepy how much his son looks like George.  :o
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver

dragonboy

This is a superb, must have DVD IMO:

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

buaawwww

"All Things Must Pass" is an excellent, excellent album... and in my mind the best post Beatles solo record.  This is not to take ANYTHING away from lennon's work or Macca... but Georg's album is pure brilliance throughout.  In fact, I think I am going to listen to it right now.

Hawkeye

I LOVE All Things Must Pass.  One of my favorite albums right now.  It has been my breakup album unfortunately, and I probably listened to it every day for at least a week straight.  I was worried that it might ruin the album for me, but nah, it's too good for that to happen
We could.

The Drake

QuoteThis is a superb, must have DVD IMO:

That's a great DVD.  I love the stories Petty tells about George, his ukes, and his "naughty chords".

woodnymph

Lovely to have finally found this little 'net nook (and all the George love!)

Just watched this hour-long McCartney gig that's pretty sweet!!

Paul McCartney: Chaos and Creation At Abbey Road

And my new favorite......

Paul McCartney - Jenny Wren
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time