Ry Cooder appreciation

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Jan 18, 2006, 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

Haven't done one of these in awhile--
How about some well deserved props for this unbelievable musician?  I am particularly attached to his takes on American traditionals ala dustbowl.  The dude is a real pleasure to listen to.  So whaddaya think 'eh?
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

dragonboy

The only thing I have is the Paris/Texas soundtrack which I love.
I know he plays in a lot of different styles.
A friend lent me Chicken Skin a long time ago but I couldn't get into it. Can you suggest anything similar to Paris/Texas?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

wellfleet

i'm a big fan of his collaborations with other artists where he lends his talent and guidance but lets others take centre-stage...
i loved...
Talking Timbuktu with Ali Farka Toure, a cool exploration of the nature and history of blues via Africa
Mambo Sinuendo with Manuel Galban from the BVSC. Loopy, noodly cuban/country beats. Like the soundtrack to a Quentin Tarantino western if there ever is one
and his latest, Chavez Ravine, a tribute to the Los Angeles area that was bulldozed over to make room for Dudgers' Stadium and put a whole neighbourhood of Mexican citizens out on their ass. It's got a mexi-blues personality and the lyrics and stories are so engaging...
thanks for this thread, he's definitely deserving!  ;D
everything sucks. really.

dragonboy

Talking Timbuktu with Ali Farka Toure

One of those CDs that I've had on my list forever but have never got round to buying.
I've heard great things about Ali Farka Toure.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MMJ_fanatic

check out "Into the Purple Valley", "Boomer's Song", and his debut ("Ry Cooder")

bo dereks tits

The only album of his that i have is Mambo Sinuendo and I absolutely love it.  Thanks for the suggestions.
 8)

MMJ_fanatic

I am very surprised and disappointed at the lack of props for Mr. Cooder from this here forum based on the depth of musical tastes encompassed herein.  I swear he is way more capable than the vast majority of the flavors of the month cropping up on this BB.  WORD!

wordawg

Ryland  P. Cooder.

What can I say?
An outstanding guitarist.  A true believer in bring minority music music to anyone willing to listen.  Almost single handedly brought back bottle neck guitar playing. A truely magical slide player.

If you hear only one track by the man, I'd recommend the live version of 'If Walls Could Talk' which features Jim Keltner on drums and John Hiatt on rhythm guitar. OR 'Sister Morphine' on the Stones 'Sticky Fingers' album.

Also, he looks well cool in a bandana.
(not an easy feat)

wordawg!

the future is Ginger

MMJ_fanatic

Ahh yes, Greggy I always thought you a man of high taste ;)

wordawg

QuoteAhh yes, Greggy I always thought you a man of high taste ;)

You are a gentleman, sir.
the future is Ginger

pawpaw

bump.

I was introduced to him through the movie 'Buena Vista Social Club', and always intended to get into his music, but I never have. I started reading an article on him this morning, and have seen good reviews of his last several albums...I think I'm ready to take the plunge and buy some of his music. Anyone have any recommendations or other insight to offer, other than what's already been said here?
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

ycartrob

I hear he's a democrat  :-/

Isobella

I first discovered Ry Cooder with Crossroads, he was very influential on my slide playing along with Sonny Landreth.   Somewhere around here I have one of those floppy 45s I don't know what you call them that came with a guitar magazine back in the day, of selections from Crossroads.  That movie was the reason I love Telecasters.

xmascriminal

Amazing guitarist. One of my favorites.

pawpaw

I read that he had been asked to replace Brian Jones as the lead guitarist in the Stones  :o His list of musical collaborations is HUGE, having played with (in addition to the Stones) Captain Beefheart, Randy Newman, Eric Clapton, Crazy Horse, Little Feat, Van Morrison, and dozens of others. PLUS, he and I share the same birthday... 8-)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."