the return of FAITH NO MORE!!!!

Started by buaawwww, Feb 27, 2009, 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buaawwww

Faith No More have made their long-rumored reunion official, releasing a statement detailing why they got back together after a decade-long dormancy and revealing the band's lineup for their European summer tour.

Despite an amicable split in 1998, and constant demands by fans to reunite, the members of Faith No More never approached one another about the possibility of reforming. "What's changed is that this year, for the first time, we've all decided to sit down together and talk about it," bassist Bill Gould said in the statement. "And what we've discovered is that time has afforded us enough distance to look back on our years together through a clearer lens and made us realize that through all the hard work, the music still sounds good, and we are beginning to appreciate the fact that we might have actually done something right."

The reformed band picks up where they left off, keeping the same lineup that appeared on FNM's final album, 1997's Album of the Year. Founding members bassist Billy Gould, drummer Mike Bordin and keyboardist Roddy Bottum are all back, as is singer Mike Patton, who took over vocal duties after Chuck Mosely departed in 1988. The notable absence in the band's lineup is sunglasses-sporting guitarist Jim Martin, who was a member of their band during from 1984 to 1993, an era that encompassed their platinum album The Real Thing and gold follow-up Angel Dust. In Martin's place will be guitarist Jon Hudson, who joined the band in 1997.

No tour dates have been revealed yet, but it's been reiterated that the reunion will only cover Europe. Still, Mike Patton has a solo slot at Coachella, a festival the band was rumored to play even before the reunion was announced, so festivalgoers might just catch FNM in the states after all. Read the band's entire statement after the jump:

"Faith No More has always stood out as some sort of unique beast; part dog, part cat — its music almost as schizophrenic as the personalities of its members. When it all worked, it worked really well, even if the chemistry was always volatile.

Throughout our 17 years of existence, the mental and physical energy required to sustain this creature was considerable and relentless. Though amicable enough, when we finally split, we all followed paths seemingly destined to opposite ends of the universe. Yet during the entire 10 years that have passed since our decision to break up we've experienced constant rumors and requests from fans and promoters alike. Nevertheless, for whatever reason, none of us kept in regular touch, much less to discuss any possibilities of getting together.

What's changed is that this year, for the first time, we've all decided to sit down together and talk about it. And what we've discovered is that time has afforded us enough distance to look back on our years together through a clearer lens and made us realize that through all the hard work, the music still sounds good, and we are beginning to appreciate the fact that we might have actually done something right. Meanwhile, we find ourselves at a moment in time with zero label obligations, still young and strong enough to deliver a kick-ass set, with enthusiasm to not only revisit our past but possibly add something to the present. And so with this we've decided to hold our collective breaths and jump off this cliff.... BACK, GOD FORBID, INTO THE MONKEY CAGE!!!

"We can only hope that the experience of playing together again will yield results erratic and unpredictable enough to live up to the legacy of FNM.

Who knows where this will end or what it will bring up... only the future knows. But we are about to find out!"

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

xmascriminal

I remember when I saw Mike Patton's new band, Peeping Tom, open for The Who. With every song, less people clapped and more people booed until by the last song, everybody was booing. I felt bad for them but Mike seemed to be enjoying himself. I think he thought it was funny, and they stayed to play the whole set anyway. The only time people cheered was when he announced their last song but some people even booed that, because they didn't want to hear another one. And as bad as I felt for them (I personally didn't boo), they were genuinely terrible.

buaawwww

Angel Dust remains one of the most under-appreciated albums ever.

TheBigChicken

Angel Dust remains one of the most under-appreciated drugs ever
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

pawpaw

Quote...everybody was booing. I felt bad for them but Mike seemed to be enjoying himself.

Mike Patton is one of my rock heros, and definitely one of the boldest live music personalities I've ever seen (with Mr. Bungle, unfortunately never got to see FNM). I can just picture him on stage taunting the Who crowd...SO Patton.

This reunion is GREAT NEWS, but kind of useless to me if they only play Europe...hopefully things go well and they record an album to tour behind in the US!

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

pawpaw

QuoteAngel Dust remains one of the most under-appreciated drugs ever

Amen brother! ;D

How've you been RC??? Haven't seen you around here much lately...
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

mjkoehler