Main Menu

Compilations

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Mar 02, 2009, 05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

Due to the recent discussion of Dark Was The Night and it's awesomeness, I thought I would start a thread about Compilations.

I also love the idea of compilations, but they usually fall flat.  I think for me, it's because I love the album.  I don't listen to "songs", I listen to albums.    However, some compilations are just too good to not love.   What are some of your favorites?

One I love, is the soundtrack to Natural Born Killers.  I just realized that maybe I like it more than others because Trent Reznor molded it together with movie clips and therefore it seems to flow together like a real album.

Also, the Singles soundtrack is one I still listen too.

Finally, Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction soundtracks are good, as I think a lot of thought were put into them.

As much as I loved the idea of I'm Not There , I haven't listend to it much since I bought it.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jaimoe

I don't really like compilaitons or greatest hits albums. That being said, comps can be really useful when they highlight the best of a genre or label. For example, I really like blues comps from Chess or Fat Possum. There's some great jazz compilations out there too from Blue Note. Also, comps are great when it comes to spotlighting an artist or artists from the eras when albums weren't popular like the 30's, 40's and 50's. I have Muddy Waters Chess box-set and its amazing. Same with Robert Johnson. I also have a bunch of blues compilations with each disc exploring a certain genre of blues.

Taxman

Ace records compilations, especially the 'songwriter series'. With the likes of Burt Bacharach, Goffin&King and Mann&Weil a.o. having a disc devoted to them. Great stuff.
Though their soulcompilations are top notch too.  8-)
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver

crimsonghost

QuoteDue to the recent discussion of Dark Was The Night and it's awesomeness, I thought I would start a thread about Compilations.

I also love the idea of compilations, but they usually fall flat.  I think for me, it's because I love the album.  I don't listen to "songs", I listen to albums.    However, some compilations are just too good to not love.   What are some of your favorites?

One I love, is the soundtrack to Natural Born Killers.  I just realized that maybe I like it more than others because Trent Reznor molded it together with movie clips and therefore it seems to flow together like a real album.

Finally, Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction soundtracks are good, as I think a lot of thought were put into them.

As much as I loved the idea of I'm Not There , I haven't listend to it much since I bought it.

The I'm Not There OST one of my favorites, you should give it another shot it's got a bunch of good stuff on there
"yea he dreams in the daytime too!"

xmascriminal

Singles of course. Terrible movie, great soundtrack. I really want to get the Until the End of the World soundtrack, which has tons of great songs.   High Fidelity's soundtrack is awesome. I'll think of more later.

Janet

Victoria Williams benefit record.  Bunch of artists covering her songs.  All good but Pearl Jam (Crazy Mary) stands out.

The soundtrack for a movie called Queens Logic is really good.  Tons of great 70s songs.

I also love the I Am Sam soundtrack - various artists cover Beatles songs.  All good, even Sheryl Crow's song - which is saying something cuz I hate Sheryl Crow.

ManNamedTruth

Speaking of Dark Was The Night, just bought that today. Before I learned to discover music through the internet, compilations were a good way to get into different bands. Especially in my punk days. I've boughten a very little amount of compilations in recent years and was never into soundtracks. The only soundtracks I have are: Angus (not a favorite movie of mine but its got a great Weezer track and a couple other good songs), O Brother, Where Art Though?, The Big Lebowski, I'm Not There, and Elizabethtown. I used to have The Crow, I think I sold it but I kinda wish I still had it.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Bumbeli

I'm not a fan of compilations either, but there are quite a few great ones.
First, the "I'm not there" soundtrack:
As I am a huge fan of Bob Dylan I wasn't really sure about all those covers, but most of them turned out to be great. Sonic Youth's "I'm not there", Eddie Vedder and the Million Dollar Bashers' "All along the Watchtower", Cat Power's "Stuck inside the mobile with the memphis blues again" and Antony and the Jonsons "Knockin' on heaven's door" are outstanding in my opinion.
Another one would be the soundtrack of Garden State, which is also one of my favourite movies. It was there I discovered The Shins and Remy Zero, both great bands worth checking out.
And there is the Soundtrack to "Six Feet Under", the TV-Series, wich is probably my favourite series. It's just great and the music fits very good. There is Radiohead, Interpol and especially Sia, who provides an excellent song for one of the best series finals I've ever seen, very moving.
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

weeniebeenie

I was thinking about this today. I love it!!
How loud can silence get?

BH

QuoteO Brother, Where Art Though?,

Good call.  I like that one a lot.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

el_chode

I listen to the Life Aquatic OST all the time. That's not including the Seu Jorge-only comp

Also, for you bluegrass/folk fans, the OST to the awesome doc Growin' a Beard is great, done by the Gourds and the classic line "I ain't stinkin' cos I look like Lincoln" will get in your head.

The Rubble Collection has been my latest fixation, primarily the first 3 discs. It's all psychedelic and garage rock. A must-have for any serious stoner, Black Keys fan, or general punks and power-pop, Apples-in-Stereo/Black Lips/Brian Jonestown Fans.

Also, I love the Hempilation 3 album. The one that has Cheetah Wheelies, and the Mule tearing up Don't Step on the Grass, Sam
I'm surrounded by assholes

Soulshine

QuoteI'm not a fan of compilations either, but there are quite a few great ones.
First, the "I'm not there" soundtrack:
As I am a huge fan of Bob Dylan I wasn't really sure about all those covers, but most of them turned out to be great. Sonic Youth's "I'm not there", Eddie Vedder and the Million Dollar Bashers' "All along the Watchtower", Cat Power's "Stuck inside the mobile with the memphis blues again" and Antony and the Jonsons "Knockin' on heaven's door" are outstanding in my opinion.
Another one would be the soundtrack of Garden State, which is also one of my favourite movies. It was there I discovered The Shins and Remy Zero, both great bands worth checking out.
And there is the Soundtrack to "Six Feet Under", the TV-Series, wich is probably my favourite series. It's just great and the music fits very good. There is Radiohead, Interpol and especially Sia, who provides an excellent song for [highlight]one of the best series finals I've ever seen, very moving[/highlight].

Agree!

Some I have-

Garden State
Singles (of course...awesome)
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
O Brother Where Art Thou
City of Angels
Into The Wild
Juno
Big Fish
Thicker Than Water
Curious George
Reality Bites

And a couple of French music compilations.
Because we're all in this together...

Bumbeli

I thought about writing down Into the Wild OST too, but as it's not really a compilation I left it. It's very good though, and so is the Juno OST. The 2 Belle & Sebastian songs are great, and most of the rest is too.
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

Soulshine

QuoteI thought about writing down Into the Wild OST too, but as it's not really a compilation I left it. It's very good though, and so is the Juno OST. The 2 Belle & Sebastian songs are great, and most of the rest is too.

Yeah, my brain went to "soundtrack" mode for a minute rather than "compliation" mode. I've had a couple glasses of red wine...that's my excuse.  ;)
Because we're all in this together...

pawpaw

Yeah, not as good as a complete album, but compilations can be great...some favorites:

Trojan Records Roots and Motor City Box Sets
MOJO Studio One Selector and Blue Christmas Compliations
What It Is! (FUNK & SOUL) Box Set
Rhino Soul Spectacular! Box Set
Easy Rider Soundtrack
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? Soundtrack
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."