Main Menu

Dirty Projectors

Started by tenn, Jul 04, 2008, 10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenn

I'm really digging these guys from what I've heard so far.
Face, you seem to be the local expert, where do I start? I'm inclined to order 'Rise Above' first just because I love the concept. But I'm thinking 'The Glad Fact' might be my first purchase, the artwork cracks me up.

Jenny

oh man! oh man oh man!
ok ok ok
rise above is awesome, awesome concept, awesome work... have you heard black flag's? probably. i'd get it. but i wouldn't get it first...
i guess it sort of depends on what your'e into. rise above is filled with those crazy minor second/tri-tone harmonies that i love so very much, but it's also much less "weird" (for lack of a better word) than say... the getty address or new attitude...
they're all great. that's what i'm saying. but they're all subtly different. and maybe that's something only i can pick up. but i started with getty address after seeing them live (on a rise above tour - pre album release, though.) and i immediately fell in love. it's dark with hauniting and intense melodies, rhythms and harmonies that will actually (probably?) blow your mind.
rise above is a lot cleaner. it's a lot more "structured" in the sense that there is a clear intro/verse basis.  it still includes genius aspects, yet not as "free" as getty's address.

the glad fact is awesome, too. not as dark feeling. it's a great album, and definitely one that everyone should own, but i feel that it's kind of different from their others.  granted, i don't listen as frequently... there're a lot of great songs on that, too.

despite them being one of my ultimate favorites of ever, it's still really hard for me to articulate what i'm trying to say in terms that make sense to people who have yet to hear any of their music.
here - know what i'm going to do?
i'm going to put a bunch of songs up on jennyjoyal.muxtape.com for anyone to hear for freee.

i'll let oyu know when i'm finished and tell you which songs're from which albums...
awesome.

:)

Jenny

OK so
go here: http://jennyjoyal.muxtape.com

and listen.

1. Fucked for Life - New Attitude
2. Imagine It - New Attitude
3. Imagine It - Daytrotter Sessions (basically live... just to give you a sense of what they CAN do... and how they blow me away live)
4. Police Story - Rise Above
5. Gimme Gimme Gimme - Rise Above
6. Spray Paint (The Walls) - Rise Above
7. Two Brown Finches - Glad Fact
8. My Offwhite Flag - Glad Fact
9. Winter is Here - Glad Fact
10. I Sit on The Ridge At Dusk - Getty's Address
11. I Will Truck - Getty's Address
12. D. Henley's Dream - Getty's Address

Enjoy! (please!)

tenn

Thanks, I love muxtape! I'll get to work on these right away.

I am familiar with Black Flag and the 'Damaged' album, but I haven't heard it since I was 15. Thats when my mom took away all my music, but thats another story. My point was that it'll be interesting to hear from my memory what was written from memory. Does that make sense?
Anyway, I'll be ordering something of theirs this week. I'm really excited about these guys.

Jenny

yeah, totally. dave longstreth is a genius.

let me know! i'm excited,
and a nerd.

tenn

Ok, I'm on my second listen. I'm going with The Getty Address first  and I Will Truck.

Jenny

awesome.
that daytrotter's imagine it (track 3) is awesome.

red

They're opening for TVOTR here; I'm so excited!!!  Now, where do I start Lady Face?