Rothbury 2009 lineup is out..

Started by Dudley, Mar 18, 2009, 12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bold99

QuoteGarcia was a great guitar player but overall the dead are meh.

There is a reason the Dead became Bob Dylan's backing band in the 80's.

I don't care how old and horrible Zimmy sounds nowadays, he deserves more respect than being billed behind Bob Weir and Phil Lesh.

Any Dylan song is >>>>>>>>>>>> than the best Dead song you can drag out.

Actually they became his backing band because he loved the Dead so much and wanted to explore and experiment with his songs and he loved when they covered his songs which is why the Dead are so great.  I'm not a huge Bob Weir fan but Phil is one of the greatest bass players to ever live.  No question Dylan rules and his song writing was unreal but the Dead do and did what they do better than anyone.   When Dylan and Phil's band toured together a few years back it was co-headline.  They would switch headliners each night which I think is about right.

in 'down the highway' it said that dylan actually wanted to join the grateful dead but jerry didn't think it was the right fit. it said jerry actually let him down nicely but he was still bummed (and kind of looking for direction at that point) just what i read

I've read a few Dead books on it.  Overall it wasn't a great experience.  I don't think he got a long with a few of the members at the time and there was a huge ordeal with the recording of the album.  He was being a real pain with Jerry as to which songs sounded best and ones he didn't want on it.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Vadie Stark

I don't care how old and horrible Zimmy sounds nowadays, he deserves more respect than being billed behind Bob Weir and Phil Lesh.

Actually they became his[highlight] backing band[/highlight] because he loved the Dead so much and wanted to explore and experiment with his songs and he loved when they covered his songs which is why the Dead are so great.  I'm not a huge Bob Weir fan but Phil is one of the greatest bass players to ever live.  No question Dylan rules and his song writing was unreal but the Dead do and did what they do better than anyone.   When Dylan and Phil's band toured together a few years back it was co-headline.  They would switch headliners each night which I think is about right.

[highlight]in 'down the highway' it said that dylan actually wanted to join the grateful dead but jerry didn't think it was the right fit. it said jerry actually let him down nicely but he was still bummed (and kind of looking for direction at that point) just what i read
[/highlight]

I've read a few Dead books on it.  Overall it wasn't a great experience.  I don't think he got a long with a few of the members at the time and there was a huge ordeal with the recording of the album.  He was being a real pain with Jerry as to which songs sounded best and ones he didn't want on it.

I thought it was just a natural progression for the Dead to back Dylan. The Band & Tom Petty had already done their shifts with Bob, and in 87 with In The Dark blowing up a one month tour and record was money. The show I saw was great, 2 full sets of the Dead and a 3rd set with Bob, all his songs
with Dead backing and A Touch Of Grey encore.

Sounds like folklore what PLNYC read.
Somebody said once: " Don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story."  ;)
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Penny Lane

Actually they became his[highlight] backing band[/highlight] because he loved the Dead so much and wanted to explore and experiment with his songs and he loved when they covered his songs which is why the Dead are so great.  I'm not a huge Bob Weir fan but Phil is one of the greatest bass players to ever live.  No question Dylan rules and his song writing was unreal but the Dead do and did what they do better than anyone.   When Dylan and Phil's band toured together a few years back it was co-headline.  They would switch headliners each night which I think is about right.

[highlight]in 'down the highway' it said that dylan actually wanted to join the grateful dead but jerry didn't think it was the right fit. it said jerry actually let him down nicely but he was still bummed (and kind of looking for direction at that point) just what i read
[/highlight]

I thought it was just a natural progression for the Dead to back Dylan. The Band & Tom Petty had already done their shifts with Bob, and in 87 with In The Dark blowing up a one month tour and record was money. The show I saw was great, 2 full sets of the Dead and a 3rd set with Bob, all his songs

Somebody said once: " Don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story."  ;)

folklore? the author did thousands of interviews, including members of the dead. i also think this is known as the most definitive dylan bio because of the exhaustive research --it doesn't take anything away from dylan's career. the dead are not in the same league as dylan IMO.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bold99

[/highlight]

folklore? the author did thousands of interviews, including members of the dead. i also think this is known as the most definitive dylan bio because of the exhaustive research --it doesn't take anything away from dylan's career. the dead are not in the same league as dylan IMO.

If you read Down the Highway or some of the Dead books the problem actually was Dylan wasn't in the same league as the Dead.  He was doing shows where he only wanted to play Dead songs and singing them terribly and playing terribly until they made him sing his own songs.   Dylan has never been a great musician and when it comes to musicianship the Dead were pretty high up the ladder.

When they were mixing the album Dylan kept telling Jerry his voice was too high in the mix he kept lowering and lowering it to the point where it sounded like Dylan was mumbling.  Jerry almost wanted to punch him.  At some point according to the book he called the Dead office and asked if he could join the band but they sort of laughed it off.  Someone (people think it was Bill or Phil) wanted nothing to do with him because his singing and playing was so bad in that period.

I don't think it takes away from his career.  He made great albums, will always be known as the best lyricist and like edtombell wrote above i'm sure there were some good shows on that tour but sometimes artists like this get bored with what they are doing or inspired by what other people are doing and want to be a part of that and it doesn't always work.  Clapton went through the same thing with Delaney & Bonnie and the Band except the D&B Bonnie thing worked great.  I think at one point he wanted to join the Band though and it was kind of like the same thing.

Vadie Stark

[/highlight]

[highlight]folklore?[/highlight] the author did thousands of interviews, including members of the dead. i also think this is known as the most definitive dylan bio because of the exhaustive research -[highlight]-it doesn't take anything away from dylan's career.[/highlight] the dead are not in the [highlight]same league[/highlight] as dylan IMO.

Bob Dylan did join the Dead for a one month tour,that's a fact.
As far as Bob being in the band ....is Boom really in PJ?
I believe it was said,written down,published,read,and believed, I don't believe it.
IOM Bob is the greatest poet / songwriter of all time, then there a lot of teams in the league and umpires. :)

good stuff from bold99 above specially Phil's thought on vocals ;)

Here is a couple links  for for what I heard in 87 on archives.org
Mixed reviews as usual some people don't like black licorice
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1987-07-19.aud-sbd.painoman.17352.sbeok.shnf
http://www.archive.org/details/gd87-07-19.sbd.fishman.13023.sbeok.shnf

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Penny Lane

i agree. as far as songwriting, i put him and lennon in a category all their own..i wasn't commenting on his musicianship-- and yeah i think it did remind me of the eric clapton D&B thing a little bit.

bold99

Quotei agree. as far as songwriting, i put him and lennon in a category all their own..i wasn't commenting on his musicianship-- and yeah i think it did remind me of the eric clapton D&B thing a little bit.

For me it will always be Neil and Dylan.  Lennon and McCartney are hard for me to compare to those guys because they wrote as a team like Jaggar/Richards although later on and in their solo careers they wrote alone.   Jerry will always be in his own category for me, I don't think there will ever be anyone like him.

Isobella

I'll take Jello Biafra over any of these guys.

Leontheslut

Oh and the Dylan and the Dead album is by far the worst Dylan album released.

Saved ain't got nothing on that that.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

MickeyReds

QuoteI would like to see/hear Guster, Cold War Kids, and Broken Social Scene.
GUSTER!!!!!
As long as you keep a straight face...

wharf rat

As far as the Dead/Dylan debate thing going on, as far as my recollections bold99 and pennylane have it correct in terms of facts.  The opinions, well everyone's got them.
As for ticket prices, I paid $82 after convenience fees, etc. for the Dead show at Verizon Center in DC.  Same price as the Charlottesville show the next night, which is EXACTLY the same price as the Rascall Flats show a month earlier!  

Penny Lane

Quotei agree. as far as songwriting, i put him and lennon in a category all their own..i wasn't commenting on his musicianship-- and yeah i think it did remind me of the eric clapton D&B thing a little bit.

For me it will always be Neil and Dylan.  Lennon and McCartney are hard for me to compare to those guys because they wrote as a team like Jaggar/Richards although later on and in their solo careers they wrote alone.   Jerry will always be in his own category for me, I don't think there will ever be anyone like him.

i was talking about lennon's solo stuff (working class hero, jealous guy, mother, etc) he and dylan are my 2 favorite songwriters of all time. as far as tag teams, yeah lennon/mccartney take the cake.

Leontheslut

i was talking about lennon's solo stuff (working class hero, jealous guy, mother, etc) he and dylan are my 2 favorite songwriters of all time. as far as tag teams, yeah lennon/mccartney take the cake.
I think you made a mistake...

You said lennon/mccartney were the greatest songwriting duo. I think you meant to say Hall and Oats.   :D
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Penny Lane

I think you made a mistake...

You said lennon/mccartney were the greatest songwriting duo. I think you meant to say Hall and Oats.   :D

thanks for editing. sara smiiiiiiiiles... for so long i wished my name was sara...